Does anyone else LIKE the P-lip?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idlefellow

Reaction score
I see quite a few comments denigrating the P-lip, and have seen some posts about modifying pipes that have them. Just wondering anyone else likes them. I have not experienced any of the problems some people seem to have with them (other than the fact that it's a bit more difficult to pass a cleaner through, which I see as only a minor inconvenience). To me the P-lip is one of the things that makes a Peterson a Peterson. I really like the way they look and personally don't find them uncomfortable at all, nor does having the smoke come out the top of the mouthpiece bother me. Of the 13 Peterson's I have all but one have a P-lip, and I wish that one did too. So; anyone else a fan?

I own a fair amount of Peterson pipes some with and without the p-lip stem. Either way it doesn't matter to me. One thing I do like about the P-lip is that they are very narrow near the button and they fit really well for my bite. The p-lip draw can restrict smoke flow quite a bit, but again, I enjoy smoking them

I'm with Doc on this one, I can tak'em or leav'em, either way doesn't affect me.
Although as far as some blends I really like the smoke directed to the top of my mouth which the P-Lip does instead of directly at my tongue. ;)

Two of my Pete's still have their P-Lips, the rest have been replaced or came with Fishtails, The smoking qualities of either really don't make much difference to me, it's the oval rounded crossection of the bit at the button which does not work well with my full dentures . So when it's come time to replace a bit on them, I have had a nice handcut wide fishtail made! Been MUCH BETTER :twisted: :twisted:

I only have 1 P-lip, but I really enjoy having this style bit in my pipe rotation. It can be a welcome relief if you get carried away and fry your tongue with several fishtail pipes in a row.

If the right Pete came along, I would definitely be open to buying another.

I like them on Petersons and have a Vauen and two Savinelli's with p-lip's. I d have one p-lip I do not like and it is a lucite one on a Kinsale. I have considered getting a p-lip new stem for that one in vulcanite.

Dutch":y97i3fzz said:
...It can be a welcome relief if you get carried away and fry your tongue with several fishtail pipes in a row.

If the right Pete came along, I would definitely be open to buying another.
Dis here be my stance on dis issue. I also like the way you can almost hang a bent on your lower teeth because of that exaggerated button thingy. On the other hand, the "system" on a Pete system pipe seems an unnecessary contrivance. No other bents in my possession need to be mopped out after every use, nor do any reek like a system pipe does. Tasty devils, though, when cared for.

Reekin' Petes!  Yee haw!

Most of my Pete's have P-lips, so I guess I like them well enough. Bit more of a restricted draw, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. So far have never been moved to replace them with fishtails. <shrug>

Cheers,

RR

Fishtail; P-lip--makes no difference to me. They both have their merits. Fishtails are easier to plug with the side of the tongue to talk so as not to blast ash everywhere, P-lips are nice when you roasted your tongue earlier tasting the soup before it was at a consumable temperature. :lol:

What I would like is less vulcanite used to make the black Peterson stems and more acrylic.

8)

I guess they are okay once you get past sliding that bastion of phallic imagery between your lips.

I only have two P-lipped pipes, Pete and Sav. Makes no difference to me, I just never smoke them :twisted:

Bit of a struggle to get a pipecleaner through them but otherwise they are like any other, ordinary stem/bit to me.

Won't buy anymore though.

When I discovered Peterson in 2004 I loved the Plip. Everything I had to have had a plip. I grew out of it. Right now I can give or take it, but I dont purchase many Peterson pipes.

puros_bran":0gzriobi said:
I guess they are okay once you get past sliding that bastion of phallic imagery between your lips.
Ha ha ha...

I have 3. A tankard, System and a 50's deluxe bulldog. I smoke the bulldog and the tankard more than the System. If I had my choice I would prefer that they all had fishtails. The constriction of the P-lip opening makes use of a pipe cleaner a bit of a conundrum. Also, I find fishtails more comfortable. P-lips (for me) are bad for clenching.

I'm a fan of the p-lip, especially when smoking some of the mixtures or flakes that bite me.

DrumsAndBeer":cvh7z2r6 said:
P-lips (for me) are bad for clenching.  
The trick is to shove that little helmet deep and hold the bottom with your tongue. Just watch your teeth, don't want to nick up the shaft.

Yes passing a pipe cleaner can be a pain. I don't care for them on straight stems because of my bite I've dumped more than a few hot ash and embers into my lap as the pipe shifted in my mouth when clenching. However I have several full bent Pete's that just hang nicely on my bottom teeth and are quite comfortable.