Does "Breath Smoking" Increase N Uptake.?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loneredtree

Reaction score
You can teach and old dog new tricks. After 55 yrs piping, I watch the umteenth video on BS. Tried it in a meerschaum with "Old Gowrie" in it. Worked as advertised. It was cool, flavors not tasted before, etc. But Lady N gave me a visit. Anyone else had that reaction?

Did not fully understand what was meant by breath smoking

Written by : G. L. Pease

Contributed by Paul Szabady

Paul has graciously allowed me to put this up here for all to see. Thanks, Paul! -glp]
This was taught to me by my pipe-smoking guru, an insufferably grouchy old curmudgeon. He DID know pipe smoking, though..

He called it 'breath smoking' and while it works with all tobaccos it is particularly effective with virginia flakes. It requires a relaxed setting, preferably sedentary and a very slow and calm breathing pattern. The pipe bit is held to the lips continuously and all breathing is through the nose. Every 2nd or 3rd slow breath through the nose, a tiny puff is taken through the stem, held in the mouth and slowly, very slowly, discharged back through the stem, raising but the faintest wisp of smoke from the top of the tobacco bowl, and then re-drawn back through the stem. One does NOT inhale the smoke, but if one gets very good at it, one does not even have to puff: the slight vacuum created in the mouth by nose breathing will draw the finest of puffs through the stem. The blowing back through the stem is alternated with regular, but very slight puffs (sips and kisses) so that the whole process of smoking seems as natural, regular and effortless as breathing.

I'm sure many smokers have discovered this technique, or variations of it, on their own. The advantages are that mastering it will produce the coolest and most flavorful smoke possible, and the slow regular breathing will invoke the calmness and clarity of mind to perceive the results at their fullest.

NOW I WILL READ IT BETTER AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Looks like this is different than retro-haling, which is something I do as a matter of course. That is, exhaling a bit of the smoke through the nose. I find this gives more sensory experience.

Might have to see if I can give this "breath smoking" a whirl.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":anjyo713 said:
That is, exhaling a bit of the smoke through the nose. I find this gives more sensory experience.
It certainly does for me. I feel I can find another ten or two of percentage of flavors in that slow, mindful nose exhale. The sinuses pick up all kinds of otherwise muted details.

Brewdude ":3fobp0bl said:
Looks like this is different than retro-haling, which is something I do as a matter of course. That is, exhaling a bit of the smoke through the nose. I find this gives more sensory experience.
Yup, works for me as well.
But I'm not familiar with the breath smoking method. That's why I researched and posted the info I found. Might give it a try, if and when I have the patience.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I watched this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3vrBFnq7Xo&t=17s

Also tried it with a straw in a glass of water. When I breathed in the water rose in the straw. There was a slight vacuum that elevated the water about 1 inch. Exhaling through the nose caused the water to drop down. When I used a pipe, the smoke was drawn into my mouth and went out through the pipe. Very small puffs. Results were few relights, a cool pipe, no tongue bite and much better taste/flavor.

Loneredtree, thanks for posting the link. As soon as my vision improves from lack of sleep I will surely watch it. Sounds very interesting, a video always helps show the technique :cheers: :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

LC: I think that I was drawing with every breath. To much for me. I think I would cover the slot with my tongue and draw every 3 breaths.

:study:

loneredtree.....really appreciate your personal feedback

I did watch the video link you posted and a few others. I even practiced on a pipe with no tobacco and tried the procedure a few times. Over the weekend I will get into it more. Hey, anything for a cooler smoke.

WILL KEEP YOU UPDATED

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

loneredtree.......UPDATE

SO, I had time today.....yaaaaaa right that's about all I have now. I loaded my next to last pipe with a blend I'm extremely familiar with J. P. Crossroads in the same T. Cristiano Signature Series Fatta A Mano pipe I always use together.
Sat outside on the front porch to relax and gave this breath Smoking method a try. Being a clencher about 90% of the time and use to always blocking the air flow with my ? tongue ? thru the stem I picked the method up fairly quick, that is after a few more re-lights than I'm use to.
After about 10 minutes I got the rhythm. For me I only took a breath thru my nose every third time and after the third time I would sip the pipe and puff it back thru the draft. After all that ( which really sounds more difficult  then it is ) I would take my regular full puff. With that puff I was able to get a full mouth of a much cooler/creamer smoke. Also noticed the briar was much cooler than normal.
So, for me from time to time I shall use this method with other blends and pipes and see if I notice a more flavorful and complex smoke. Once I use the breath smoking method It should become more natural/normal where I don't need to keep counting between breathing thru my nose and blow back thru the draft and take an actual puff. It's really not complicated at all once a pipe smoker gets use to it.
I will say I believe a new pipe smoker would enjoy this method from the start.
After 49 years of enjoying a pipe I can still learn different methods from other pipers, how to smoke cooler with no chance of tongue bite once this method is perfected.  

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Makes me drool, if that's what you call it when your mouth is closed. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I'll keep trying.

Richard Burley ":wbpr84rg said:
Makes me drool, if that's what you call it when your mouth is closed. Maybe I'm doing it wrong. I'll keep trying.
Keep trying, you'll get the hang of hit. Your drooling because your not closing your mouth when breathing through your nose. It does work but takes more practice if your not a clencher.

EEP ON PUFFING!!!

Richard

Watch the video and and there are a few others. Just finished smoking MM Pride tobacco with the breath smoking method and made a big difference. Much cooler smoke and the briar stays much cooler. I close the stem off only twice and breath back through the stem. Then take a sip and puff that back through the draft and then take a full puff. Whatever blend I smoke is much cooler and more complexity I've noticed. Don't give up, you'll get it eventually and will be greatly rewarded.

KEEP ON BREATH SMOKE PUFFING!!!

This sounds very interesting. Just about to light up with some 5 yr old Dunhill Flake to try it.

Works well for me and an extremely cool smoke now...every time. Keep trying and the end result will be rewarding. That little sip you draw and puff back thru the draft makes the difference. Then it's time to take your normal draw....cooler/creamier more flavorful smoke :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I can now do this half-assed. Tiny sips, not actual draws, right? Something weird is going on. I can now taste, really taste, a blend I thought was unusually bland. Like, I can almost see colors, man! Outasight!

Hey Richard you got it

With practice you will even get better. You will find flavors you've never noticed before and your blends will have more complexity. :cheers:

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!