Does the pipe really make THAT much difference????

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beebiz

Reaction score
In a word... Dang Skippy... it sure has for me.

As most of you probably remember, I received some gifted tobaccos from Petershantz a few days back. After trying them there was one of the tobaccos that I could barely stomach the taste of. It was John Patton's Storm Front. The flavor was literally nauseating to me!!

I smoked it in a new MM cobb.

I had said that once my new CW came in from Piet and Muddler I'd give it another try. But, after reading about ghosting, I am sorry to say that I couldn't bring myself to keep my promise and chance ghosting the Bjarne with the Storm Front!!

After getting the Nording freehand from Nitschke066, I tried several different tobaccos in it. I noticed that like the Bjarne, the Nording made the tobaccos taste much better than they did in my cheaper pipes that I had gotten off Ebay... or, even in the MM cobb! And, it seemed to smoke much, much cooler than those cheaper pipes too!!

As I was searching for something to smoke before going to bed tonight, I came across the Storm Front. I thought "Yuck... not before bedtime!" But, then I thought that unfair for me to think that way. After all, I'd not yet tried it in a quality pipe!!

So, I reluctantly loaded the Nording with a bowl of the Storm Front. It took me a few minutes to grow the testicular fortitude to light it. But, when I did... WOW!!!! I can even say it backwards... WOW!!! Smoked in the Nording, that Storm Front is some excellent weed!!!!! The smoke is rich and creamy! The nutty flavor of the burley is wonderful! And, it even had a sweet taste... not like a mouthful of molasses... just a good sweet!!! Even Linda commented, "Dang... that smells good!!"

The Bald Headed Teacher that Peter sent me was already my favorite. But, thanks to the Nording, I am having a hard time telling if BHT is my favorite... or, if it is Storm Front!! Either way, two things are for sure. I will definitely be test driving the Bjarne CW with some BHT and Storm Front under the hood... at separate times, of course!! ;) And, I will be adding Storm Front to my order!!!

The lesson I've learned from this is to not decide against a tobacco after smoking it in one pipe. If it's not good in one, try it in at lest one more pipe! And, this is a lesson I'll never forget!! And, who knows... someday, it just might prevent me from discarding one of those "Holy Grail" tobaccos!!!

Thoughts?????

Robert

Agreed!
But, I think the pipe's mechanics have alot to do with it.
I for one belong to the 4mm draft clan. Pipes with restricted draws do not work well for me.
That said, this is an age old debate with many variables. You will find people telling you that they have experienced a $25 basket pipe out smoking a Dunnie and vice versa!!!
For me, I keep it simple and basic, good clean open draw!!!!!! the rest is history for me!!!

You raise some good, valid points, brother Piet! I'm sure the condition of the draw is as important as the pipe itself. Beyond that, what I've said is purely speculation based on my comparison of the pipes that I have on hand. And, based on that comparison, the Bjarne CW and Nording freehand out smoke the crap out of the others... hand down!! The only other ones that come close to them are the Dr. Grabow bent and the Dr. Grabow Grand Duke straight.

Robert

You will always be out of the starting block first when investing in a reputable name,make or carver.

i agree with you piet. a good open draw makes a big difference.

I agree too that the right pipe can make or break the tobacco. I have several that cry out for an English blend, and others the same blends are just ho-hum.

I am glad to read this. As a new smoker and owner of only 2 pipes (a cheap briar and a corncob), I am looking forward to trying some experiments just like this - as soon as I get another pipe, that is. I have already noticed slight differences between the briar and corncob, I am sure I will notice even more when I get a higher-quality pipe. I have read a lot about the open draw debate, that is another variable I would like to experiment with.

Piet Binsbergen":ex90h3aq said:
Agreed!
But, I think the pipe's mechanics have alot to do with it.
I for one belong to the 4mm draft clan. Pipes with restricted draws do not work well for me.
That said, this is an age old debate with many variables. You will find people telling you that they have experienced a $25 basket pipe out smoking a Dunnie and vice versa!!!
For me, I keep it simple and basic, good clean open draw!!!!!! the rest is history for me!!!
So Piet, can our existing pipes be dilled or reamed out to 4mm? I love the draw on the one you gave me. Is this something fairly easy that I could do? Or does it take some special kind of bits or something? Sas, your imput too?

1) Tobacco is female.

2) Pipes are female.

This being the case, inconsistency and unexpected surprises are to be expected.

:face:

Yak":f231mjp3 said:
1) Tobacco is female.

2) Pipes are female.

This being the case, inconsistency and unexpected surprises are to be expected.

:face:
so you're saying the NFL is female? :scratch:

Falconer":ouh2kudq said:
So Piet, can our existing pipes be dilled or reamed
i think yak might be right about pipes being female. i mean, look at what you want to do to them falconer!

beebiz":2sivw4ux said:
The lesson I've learned from this is to not decide against a tobacco after smoking it in one pipe. If it's not good in one, try it in at lest one more pipe! And, this is a lesson I'll never forget!! And, who knows... someday, it just might prevent me from discarding one of those "Holy Grail" tobaccos!!!

Thoughts?????
There's a lot at play with the interaction between pipes and tobaccos, and it seems to elude any sort of rational analysis. It's one of the great mysteries and joys of our pastime, I think!

Coincidentally, an article I wrote on first impressions was just published in PipesMagazine, that might be an enjoyable read.

Cheers,
Greg

glpease":q58f2aqj said:
Coincidentally, an article I wrote on first impressions was just published in PipesMagazine, that might be an enjoyable read.

Cheers,
Greg
Well written and explained Greg. Your article certainly puts into perspective my own experiences in this regard.

glpease":i2on7eew said:
There's a lot at play with the interaction between pipes and tobaccos, and it seems to elude any sort of rational analysis. It's one of the great mysteries and joys of our pastime, I think!

Cheers,
Greg
thanks for the article greg. (and a few tobaccos...)

Yes, I agree wholeheartedly that a pipe can really affect how a tobacco tastes. Same tobacco in different pipes often gives a different impression. I do dedicate certain pipes to tobacco genres, but not to only one tobacco. I have some that I find I enjoy English blends in, and others that work well for flakes. But I don´t go as far as to have an "Escudo" or "Squadron Leader" pipe only.... :drunken:

Thank you for all your input, gentlemen!

Greg, thank you for the link to the article. It was not only well written, but quite enjoyable to read!! What you have said in it makes a lot of sense to me. And, I will definitely keep it in mind the next time I'm trying out a new tobacco!!!

Robert