Dog Advice?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happypipester

Reaction score
So I got a new dog literally hours ago from a friend who's family couldn't keep her anymore. I already have a dog (purebred lab), who's a slightly jealous type. The new dog (I was told)is a pug-terrier mix (looks like a terrier). Both are quite friendly. My lab is 4 and the terrier is under a year. Any advice on how to best get them used to each other? They seem to be ok'ish together in the bit of time we've had them together, but if anyone has advice, it would be appreciated :)

So far the cat hates both as much as ever :p

It might be a good idea to let them make friends
on neutral territory, so your dog doesn't feel like
he needs to defend his turf. It probably won't
take them long to get to know each other.

Hermit":cw7g24zd said:
It might be a good idea to let them make friends
on neutral territory, so your dog doesn't feel like
he needs to defend his turf. It probably won't
take them long to get to know each other.
Excellent advise, Hermit! We did the same thing when we brought home our Great Pyrenees. We now have 2 alphas, but they get along.

Kudos to you for giving this gal a new home, happpypipester!! You did not say what sex your lab is. If they are opposite sexes, I hope one or the other is "fixed!" Otherwise, I can see unwanted puppies in your future!!! :shock:

My experience with dogs has shown me that good natured Labs tend to be pretty good at getting along with other dogs... even when they have the "home turff" advantage! Terriers are usually not quite so easy to get along with. But, since the Terrier is in a strange place... on another dog's turf... it can work in tranquility's favor... make her a bit more submissive than her Terrier nature might ordinarily make her.

The best way I have found to get a new dog and a resident dog or dogs to get along is to play with them. I don't use a toy that belongs to a resident dog. I get a new one. That way the resident dog doesn't feel as though the new dog is taking over their belongings!! It does not have to be an extravagant or expensive toy. In the past, I've balled up old socks, towels and such for this. But, use the "new" toy to play with both dogs as equally as possible. If you are physically able to do so, it is even better if you get down on your "all-fours" to do this! It kind of puts the three of you on the same level.

As long as you don't allow the new dog to make the resident one feel threatened or encroached upon, it probably won't be long before they will be best buddies... just like Hermit said!! Just remember that you are basically dealing with a couple of two year olds! One of them is in a strange place and doesn't know why. And, the other one can't figure out why in the world you would think you needed another dog!!!

Good luck!! And, keep us posted about how this new member of your family works out!!

Robert

BTW... sorry... but, the cat is just SOL ($hit Out of Luck)!!! :lol:

beebiz":avn99ek5 said:
Kudos to you for giving this gal a new home, happpypipester!! You did not say what sex your lab is. If they are opposite sexes, I hope one or the other is "fixed!" Otherwise, I can see unwanted puppies in your future!!! :shock:

My experience with dogs has shown me that good natured Labs tend to be pretty good at getting along with other dogs... even when they have the "home turff" advantage! Terriers are usually not quite so easy to get along with. But, since the Terrier is in a strange place... on another dog's turf... it can work in tranquility's favor... make her a bit more submissive than her Terrier nature might ordinarily make her.

The best way I have found to get a new dog and a resident dog or dogs to get along is to play with them. I don't use a toy that belongs to a resident dog. I get a new one. That way the resident dog doesn't feel as though the new dog is taking over their belongings!! It does not have to be an extravagant or expensive toy. In the past, I've balled up old socks, towels and such for this. But, use the "new" toy to play with both dogs as equally as possible. If you are physically able to do so, it is even better if you get down on your "all-fours" to do this! It kind of puts the three of you on the same level.

As long as you don't allow the new dog to make the resident one feel threatened or encroached upon, it probably won't be long before they will be best buddies... just like Hermit said!! Just remember that you are basically dealing with a couple of two year olds! One of them is in a strange place and doesn't know why. And, the other one can't figure out why in the world you would think you needed another dog!!!

Good luck!! And, keep us posted about how this new member of your family works out!!

Robert

BTW... sorry... but, the cat is just SOL ($hit Out of Luck)!!! :lol:
Very much like the an espisode on the Dog Whisper. The new doggie is treated very much like a guest. Doesn't have the same privileges for a time ... ie doesn't displace the habits of the dog already at home; feed him second, isn't allow in special places like a couch so your first dog knows he's still greatly loved.... only for a short time.... up to a week...

i live with two terrier females who we have to keep separated at all times (at great inconvenience), because they will kill each other. i didn't know this at the time, but terriers are very pack hierarchy driven and females of a similar age will kill the other females in a bid for the alpha female spot. i'm just saying this pug terrier may have these tendencies and to be aware. your lab should be pretty easy going as far as hierarchy is concerned (and i would imagine is much bigger in size so a serious challenge is unlikely). in my experience, food bowls, bed spots, and toys (bones/chewies) are the kinds of things dogs fight over. don't leave toys laying around for them to get in a snit about. feed them away from each other and at the same time. don't let the dog who finishes first go try and take over the other dog's bowl. don't leave them alone until you have several weeks of feeling comfortable about them. (i'm giving you all these warnings and everything may be easy breezy, no problems. unfortunately, i've been at the other end and it's a nightmare.) good luck!

I'd put all three in a small room. Whichever comes out, ya keep, unless it's the cat. :lol!:

shootist51":8zg3ty8w said:
I'd put all three in a small room. Whichever comes out, ya keep, unless it's the cat. :lol!:
:lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!: :lol!:

Thankfully they're both female, so no puppy issues lol. They've both gotten along really well today around each other, minus a little tussle.

I'll try getting them onto some neutral turf for some bonding. Seems like they're leaving each others toys alone quite well.

Did I mention I'm getting a specially bred Cordoba fighting dog next week? :lol!:

Bruins that sounds very unusual to me - all dogs are hierarchical and at some point they'll beat on each other a bit and sort things out. You are going to extraordinary lengths for what I deem is a pretty ordinary situation.

We just tell our dogs to get along and anybody who doesn't toe the line gets wailed on by me. It takes dogs about a day to fit in around our place because to be perfectly honest they are more afraid of me than they are of each other.

Terriers are notorious for not only being alpha-oriented but for thinking that they and not the humans are actually at the top of the pyramid.

We have a powderpuff looking Jack Russel cross, a Boston, and a Rottweiler cross, and they all play together, and my dad owns our old dog, a crotchety old bag of a Schnauzer, whose nose is chronically out of joint.

If terriers get it in their head that THEY are the boss then they are extraordinarily troublesome little dogs. But they are generally funny as hell and well worth the effort to keep.

I reckon a lab and a terrier will get on like a house on fire, so to speak.

Sasquatch":c10lvnt7 said:
Bruins that sounds very unusual to me - all dogs are hierarchical and at some point they'll beat on each other a bit and sort things out. You are going to extraordinary lengths for what I deem is a pretty ordinary situation.
yeah, i thought so to (unusual that is), until i start looking for help with the situation. then i found out it's pretty common with terriers. we've worked with dog behaviorists and dog whispers and dog screamers, run through the whole gammit. i have been to the ER twice breaking up their fights. we're trying to get rid of one, but no bites yet (no pun instead). you want a great dog? that's the sad part, they're both great dogs other than this one thing. i wish they were chewing up our shoes or something else instead.

Bruins, a fight for the alpha female position might well be what is going on. As you said, terriers do have stronger tendencies along this line. But, I will offer another possible explanation for what is going on. Just as with humans, sometimes two dogs simply cannot stand each other! There appears to be no reasonable, rational explanation for it. They just don't like each other!! It might sound silly. But, I know it does happen.

We have two female Poodles that are like that. For no logical, apparent reason... they loathe each other!! Both are great, loving dogs. They get along great with the rest of our pack... play with them... share toys with them... share food with them... everything's peaches and cream... except with each other!! My wife and I have witnessed each of them literally aggravate the crap out of the other... for no reason... until a fight ensues!! For that reason, we don't dare even go outside without taking them with us or separating them.

I don't know that this is what is going on with your two gals. It might be that its a combination of what you and I each said. As I said, I don't know. I just hope you have good luck at finding one of the girls a good home... maybe where she'll be the only dog... and have a huge back yard and plenty of room to romp, play, and work off that inherent Terrier energy!!

Happypipester, I'm glad to hear that your two girls are getting along so well... and, so quickly and easily!!! I hope the road that lays ahead is a smooth and enjoyable one!!! ;)

Good luck to both of you gentlemen... and to your four-legged children!!! ;)

Robert

beebiz":4ljbsgm3 said:
Bruins, a fight for the alpha female position might well be what is going on. As you said, terriers do have stronger tendencies along this line. But, I will offer another possible explanation for what is going on. Just as with humans, sometimes two dogs simply cannot stand each other! There appears to be no reasonable, rational explanation for it. They just don't like each other!! It might sound silly. But, I know it does happen.

We have two female Poodles that are like that. For no logical, apparent reason... they loathe each other!! Both are great, loving dogs. They get along great with the rest of our pack... play with them... share toys with them... share food with them... everything's peaches and cream... except with each other!! My wife and I have witnessed each of them literally aggravate the crap out of the other... for no reason... until a fight ensues!! For that reason, we don't dare even go outside without taking them with us or separating them.

I don't know that this is what is going on with your two gals. It might be that its a combination of what you and I each said. As I said, I don't know. I just hope you have good luck at finding one of the girls a good home... maybe where she'll be the only dog... and have a huge back yard and plenty of room to romp, play, and work off that inherent Terrier energy!!

Happypipester, I'm glad to hear that your two girls are getting along so well... and, so quickly and easily!!! I hope the road that lays ahead is a smooth and enjoyable one!!! ;)

Good luck to both of you gentlemen... and to your four-legged children!!! ;)

Robert
you could be right. they didn't grow up together. one was a dump. i have also suspected that one has pit bull terrier in her (the other jack russell) and once the pit gets started, she won't stop until there is a death. it's unfortunate. the pit-ish one is the best/smartest/most useful dog i've ever seen/owned. the other we raised by hand when the mother disappeared. we're pretty attached to both. anyway, it's a tough situation, but we're dealing with it. i'm hopeful that none of what we're discussing is applicable to happypipester!

My experience is everything works its self out. However make sure that the Lab is the Alpha,always feed her first an let her know she is #1.God bless fo adopting that little one.

Cheers
Chuck

Hey HP!
I love Hermits advice, either way dogs are by far the coolest ever!!!!
Things work themselves out in the end!!
Good luck!

Dogs are definitely the best. 8)

Woke up this morning to the terrier licking my toes lol.

The terrier's name is "Itsy", but I'm wanting to change that lol. Any ideas? Perhaps there's a cool sounding Afrikaans name I could give her?

Cheers!

You could give her an Edgar Allen Poe name... Jabberwocky!! It fits the Terrier personality!! And, it is cool and unusual... IMHO! :D

happypipester":hy9ynn6f said:
Dogs are definitely the best. 8)

Woke up this morning to the terrier licking my toes lol.

The terrier's name is "Itsy", but I'm wanting to change that lol. Any ideas? Perhaps there's a cool sounding Afrikaans name I could give her?

Cheers!
WAGTER.............. common Afrikaans name people gives dogs here (means the herder or guard) :lol: