Don’t Try To Tease Me

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tiltjlp

Reaction score
I belong to roughly a dozen forums of all sorts, and most of them have the same problem, caused by members who try to be either clever or cute. I’m talking about Teaser Titles for threads they begin. Some do try to be cute, other try for clever, but I see them all as goofy at beast and dumb at worst. Now I’ll forgive new members who might not know forum common sense, or all the various Specialized Terms used for the hobby or interest focus of the forum.

But there are fools who start forum thread with titles such as Look At This, or You Have To See This, or maybe You Will Not Believe This. While some forum members read every post on a forum, I only read what interests me. And how the heck can I know if something will interest me if all the title says is Hey, Looky Here?

Now, I’m not, and have never been a Lemming, and find much of what is posted on any forum a waste of my time to read. Which is why I very seldom read Happy Birthday threads if I don’t consider the member a friend. And I often don’t even look at any Happy Birthday tiltjlp threads either. I also hardly ever read off topic threads, because I go to forums to read about pipes and tobacco, or pinball, or some other topic that interests me.

Now, to be honest, I don’t want to read a brag post about your new car, what beer you drink, or what hat you wear when you smoke your pipes. And if I don’t feel I know you a bit, I’m not going to read about your financial or health problems. I’m not hard-hearted, but I have my own problems and don’t need to read about anyone else’s.

So, the next time you start a thread, why not use a title that lets us all know what your post is about? You might be surprised to get a reply from me, since I just might decide that the topic interests me, once you tell me what it is you’re posting about. Also, I’m an old man, so would you do me a favor and use real English, rather than text message shorthand? Thanks for your understanding. And if you don’t understand or agree, and want to bash me, go right ahead, I probably won’t understand your reply anyway.

Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if people would only behave exactly as we wanted them to.

Rad

Rad Davis":yfxeoq5v said:
Wouldn't it be a wonderful world if people would only behave exactly as we wanted them to.

Rad
If only they would use their turn signals. I would be satisfied.

Milan

Milan":xi6ocim6 said:
Rad Davis":xi6ocim6 said:

Rad
If only they would use their turn signals. I would be satisfied.
I'm with you on that one!

Nothing warms my heart quicker than an old curmudgeon! :santa:

I was going to compose a scathing retort to this, but......Happy Holidays :santa:

shootist51":opykrbdi said:
I was going to compose a scathing retort to this, but......Happy Holidays :santa:
Feel free to do so. I won't bother me in the least, and might be good for a few laughs.

Dutch":k061g1to said:
Thanks. I might not be the oldest, but I might be the grumpiest!!

Since when did BoB become a business where people expect to be served with exactly what they want, exactly the way they want it, on demand ?

And this because . . . they're spending money or something that gives them the right to expect that their desires be gratified ?

Last time I checked, BoB wasn't a coke machine.

And the peanuts in the peanut gallery weren't paying for anything.

Yeah -- the whole forum's going to re-configure itself around what you want.

Because you want it.

You want feedback ?

Be Napoleon somewhere else.

:face:

shootist51":vln94vml said:
I'm with you Shootist,,,there's enough negativity at my workplace to peg the "piss and moan" meter,,,Hope you all have a safe and happy holiday.

I always found it very "chicken or the egg" with people's otherwise outspoken complaints about something, then another mention of not continuing because "it's the holidays." :lol:

Sometimes a dog (or a Yak :lol: ) just has to bark at the fence at stuff going by. Let it out. No harm in it.

Dutch":o9f1m7lb said:

Hmmmm....Paul2.0 called me one of those the other night at our weekly smoke and sip meeting. Gotta look that up to see what it means.
710492.gif

Jim

Ol'Dawg":esgfgnat said:
Dutch":esgfgnat said:

Hmmmm....Paul2.0 called me one of those the other night at our weekly smoke and sip meeting. Gotta look that up to see what it means.
710492.gif

Jim
An amazing word. Cantankerous, jaded, and of course, curmudgeon all have been used with me since about age 22. "Young coot," is what I prefer until that particular time frame isn't on my side any longer. 8)

Sometimes, just calling a spade a "spade" can clarify a situation wonderfully.

Woof !

(in fond memory of the Woofmeister, LL)

:face:

Every forum's gotta have one, Yakster. 8) At least with you, you realize you have 15 feet of chain and only rush 12.5 feet at the fence, given body length, etc. Watching some whip their asses in front of their heads from rushing in with pure gusto is amusing, though. You would almost think some folk would tease just to get that result. Naw, what am I thinking. People wouldn't do that...(only if the chain looks like it'll hold...and the fence...) :p

I belong to roughly a dozen forums of all sorts, and most of them have the same problem, caused by members who try to be either clever or cute. I’m talking about Teaser Titles for threads they begin. Some do try to be cute, other try for clever, but I see them all as goofy at beast and dumb at worst. Now I’ll forgive new members who might not know forum common sense, or all the various Specialized Terms used for the hobby or interest focus of the forum.
Very clever post title. And cute.

The BoB is a great group of guys who contribute a great wealth of knowledge and experience along with some good laughs. Priceless.

Rad Davis":3i738vxh said:

Rad
And after I spend all my time telling those people how to behave, how rude of them not to listen to me. :lol:

Natch

Mark Twain said, "Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits."

I agree with this completely. :lol:

Rad