dont like bent bulldogs with saddle stem.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tarheel7734

Reaction score
Looking at a few Ferndown pipes i like and i relize that i really dont like saddle stems on a bent bulldog. I really feel the tapered stem looks and feels better. This reduces the amount of pipes i can purchase.

Here is a good example.
004-002-8614.jpg

131575226.XOHtEQRw.P1190657.jpg

There are a couple of pipes in the Uk that I am in chat with to see if Mr Wood can change the stem to a tapered stem.

I like'em Both ways but, it depends also how the saddle is cut. ;)
I do prefer the saddle stem on this particular pipe.

Yep, same here bro, all of my bent bulldogs (all 2 of them) are of the first example. And I like them just as they are.

As a bulldog appreciator and owner of my fair share, saddle stems have the added benefit of being a little easier to hold in the teeth, shave down a little of the overall weight, and are a little easier to keep clean and black if made of vulcanite (better surface contact with any given buffing wheel). Nope, they don't look quite as sleek as a tapered stem, but they do have advantages. Comfort and performance over looks, sometimes, no matter what your preference.

Kyle Weiss":98wmvub6 said:
As a bulldog appreciator and owner of my fair share, saddle stems have the added benefit of being a little easier to hold in the teeth, shave down a little of the overall weight, and are a little easier to keep clean and black if made of vulcanite (better surface contact with any given buffing wheel).   Nope, they don't look quite as sleek as a tapered stem, but they do have advantages.   Comfort and performance over looks, sometimes, no matter what your preference.  
I try not to clench my bulldogs. I prefer a more bent pipe for clenching and i do kike saddle stems on those. Like a half bent billiard or apple.
004-002-8915.jpg

Brewdude":rb8t5qqk said:

That is one helluva fine looking pipe brother. Just my kind of style!

8)

Cheers,

RR
It is a fine looking pipe but not mine. I have been talking to a shop in the uk about getting Mer Wood to besooke a pipe or two for me. I am hoping to get that pipe except with taered stem.

I have a bunch of saddle stems, but they aren't my favs. Haven't bought one in eons. I admit to a strong lean toward tapered stems, that tapered Ferndown is a beaut!!!! :cheers: :santa: FTRPLT

Brewdude":32nzbzsq said:

That is one helluva fine looking pipe brother. Just my kind of style!

8)

Cheers,

RR
This is my style, beautifully balanced, out of this world!! Look at the curve of the bowl heel and then the stem.......a work of art!

I'm just the opposite. I prefer a saddle bit on a bent bulldog. That Ferndown has me drooling.

I like 'em BOTH and out of the 35 Bulldogs I have 20 are bents with 15 of those having a saddle bit !! The main thing is they are BULLDOGS !! :twisted: :twisted:

Some truly stunning compositions simply couldn't be pulled off without the saddle stem for visual balance.

image25.jpg

image26.jpg
image27.jpg
image28.jpg
image29.jpg

While my favorite is definitely a tapered stem in any shape, I still enjoy the occasional saddle stemmed pipe. I don't find any difference in the mouth feel, which seems to be dictated more by the shape and size of the button.

You like what you like, nothing wrong with that but IMO you get a thinner more comfortable feel with a saddle stem. :shock:

daveinlax":lh8yh6yb said:
You like what you like, nothing wrong with that but IMO you get a thinner more comfortable feel with a saddle stem. :shock:
I also find this to be true and with full dentures, thinner bits are better !! And vulcanite can be made thinner than acrylic ! :twisted: :twisted:

RR, I agree with you. My Pete 80s, which I adore, would have looked stupid with a saddle stem. But then again, I have other 'dogs which were made to be mated to saddle stems. How the pipe "tastes" depends on the bit/button.

Are the groves on the exterior of the bowl a requirement for a pipe to be considered a bulldog? Do they have a purpose, or just cosmetic?