Downton Abbey

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Max

Reaction score
Anybody watch? I just got season 1 and was wondering, since it is set in the early part of the last century, if there is any pipe smoking in the series so I can be on the look out for it.

I unfortunatly have watched both of the first two seasons, ( can we say "Upstairs, Downstairs" for the 21st century PBS'rs :twisted: ) and as you know SMOKING was NOT done and WILL NOT be ALLOWED on such a PURE drama! Can't be encouraging the next generation with something like showing what it was REALLY like :twisted:

There are several scenes where the men sit and sip whisky and smoke cigars, have not noticed a pipe.

As for the show, I love it. I seldom watch much television, but I had heard some scuttlebutt about this show and watched an episode one night several months ago. That was it, I was hooked. Bought season 1 and 2 on blue ray, season 3 just premiered on PBS last night. I couldn't stay up long enough to watch it (9-11 pm, way past my bed time) but it is available on the pbs ipad app, the wife and I just finished watching it.

I know it's already been aired (season 3) in Europe, so no spoilers please! I've been doing my best to avoid the internet chatter about it so as to actually enjoy looking forward to a television program for a change ;)

I've watched season 1 and 2, and the first episode of 3. Season 1 was fantastic. Season 2 it seemed the writers traded jobs with soap opera writers and (in my opinion) trashed the show. So far season 3 is on track for being good, as far as I can tell.

What I've learned from the show is that I need to be the Lord of some massive house, having had an outrageous inheritance passed down to me, so that I can keep a crazy large staff downstairs, sip strong but perfectly suited drinks at every hour of the evening in a different room as I move from one relaxing space to another, until I retire for the night in my plush, and somehow still dressy, bathrobe. :D

monbla256":8g1s3418 said:
I unfortunatly have watched both of the first two seasons, ( can we say "Upstairs, Downstairs" for the 21st century PBS'rs :twisted: ) and as you know SMOKING was NOT done and WILL NOT be ALLOWED on such a PURE drama! Can't be encouraging the next generation with something like showing what it was REALLY like :twisted:
I don't know what you watched but I just finished season one last night. The staff was shown contently smoking cigarettes downstairs inside and out. They are shown sitting around the table inside and in gaggles outside. Can't wait to rent season two next week! :shock:

This sounds right up my alley. I'm a devoted Upstairs Downstairs fan and have all the episodes on DVD. Watch them all front to back at least once/yr. And these are the ones with Allistair Cook doing the intro to each show.

Looks like I'll have to check this series out.

Cheers,

RR

Growley":99omeifx said:
I've watched season 1 and 2, and the first episode of 3. Season 1 was fantastic. Season 2 it seemed the writers traded jobs with soap opera writers and (in my opinion) trashed the show. So far season 3 is on track for being good, as far as I can tell. :D
I concur completely.

I did notice some pipe smoking by the soldiers in the trenches in season 2.

I just watched Season 1 and Season 2, in the last two weeks or so. It's very good! There was a marked uptick of melodrama in season 2, but it didn't seem terribly out of place -- at least, not in the way that I watched the show, on blu-rays, two episodes per night.

There's a whole lot to enjoy about the show, and season 3 seems to be starting off nicely.

I've recently picked up this show in my Netflix queue and have been enjoying it immensely!

I'm nearly finished with season 2.