Dry

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Itinerant

Reaction score
After chatting over a few pipes with the owner of my local Tinder Box, I inquired about the lonely tin of Rattray's Black Mallory one one of his shelves. He told me that not only was it open, but it was actually quite old, and that after he sprayed some water in it he'd be thankful if I took it off his hands.

So, needless to say, I hurriedly accepted this 3/4 full tin of Black Mallory. Later that evening, I gave it a shot, and it was, well... alright. Not one to judge a tobacco on the first bowl, I waited a few days and gave it another shot. This time, I noticed that the tobacco felt dry as I was packing the bowl. When I got down to smoking it, it was just downright unpleasant.

If you're still reading, I'm getting to the point, I promise.

Is there any hope for this tobacco? Are there anything I can do for it to return it to its semi-original state? Is there just a possibility that I'm just not altogether fond of this particular blend? So many questions. Anyone have any thoughts?

Pour it in a bowl and cover the bowl with a damp towel (not touching the tobacco), stir on occasion, check once in a while until it's to your liking moisturewise.

You can also put some in an airtight container with a pouch button and seal it up for a couple of days. that should bring it back to life.

Is it bone dry? Maybe better if it is. GL Pease mentions 12-13% humidity by weight. Weigh the tobacco and calculate 12-13%. I'd probably start at 10% by weight and see how it goes from there. Measure in milliliters of water. 1ml = 1 gram. put tobacco in an air-tight container. Sprinkle the water over the top of the tobacco. Seal the lid. Shake. Shake again every so often. The moisture should spread over the lot over time. The moist toilet spread over the top also works well, but it is also very easy to oversaturate the tobacco. Then you're messing with drying out a little bit and playing the +/- game.

It's not quite bone dry, but it's on its way there. I've got the wet rag over it right now, and I'm keeping a weather eye on it. But I see what you're saying Zeno. In the time this tin has been in my possession, it's gone from too dry, to too wet, to once again too dry.

Zeno Marx":9jh7chyb said:
The moist toilet spread over the top also works well, but it is also very easy to oversaturate the tobacco.
Especially if you flush,,, :lol!:

Many thanks for the excellent advice gentlemen. I popped the jar for a bowl this afternoon and was repaid with a moderately moist tobacco and a very pleasant smoke. Cheers.