Drying tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CPl_A

Reaction score
I did a search in the forums I couldn't find anything about. When I crack open a new tin of Peterson, is always so wet and if I smoke it out of the tin, it leaves my pipe a goopy mess and I end up getting juices in my mouth. Is there any way anyone here found to dry tobacco quickly without messing up the flavor?

CPl_A":2mqyo6pc said:
Is there any way anyone here found to dry tobacco quickly without messing up the flavor?
Well, a lot of people will tell ya that drying
does damage to flavor, but I always dry
mine on sheet of paper under a desk lamp.

Haven't tried that one yet. When I said mess up the flavor I should have clarified. I ment like when one dumbass told me to try to dey it in the oven for a couple of minutes. I will try the desk light idea though.

For me, most tobaccos are way too moist straight out of the tin.

Just leave it out on a sheet of paper for anywhere from quater of an hour to an hour. Personally I do not use the desk lamp or any other artificial heat source. Definitely an oven or a microwave. Never. If the chilly Scottish damp can get my tobacco to the right moisture level I am sure any other place will too.

The time really depends on the moisture level of the leaf, the cut and your personal preference. Experiment and you will find what suits you and each of your favorite tobaccos. I think it's hard to overdo. People tend to think that the more moist a tobacco the more flavour it imparts which, in my experience, is completely untrue.

Some folks also pack a bowl before bed or in the morning and smoke it 8-12 hours later. I haven't had as much success with that but many swear by the technique.

Good luck!

I like to nuke it....................what can I say?? Im impatient.

Pour onto a paper plate and zap it for 10 seconds (can do a couple times if baccy is very wet or a cube cut)
Let cool, then smoke.

eon":987c7ah1 said:
For me, most tobaccos are way too moist straight out of the tin.

!
Yes, I believe tobaccos are better after a few days you have opened the tin. It is better to give the tobacco time to lose some excess humidity on its own without using any heating device.

I've found, especially for moist flakes, that a half hour or so on light-fluff in the dryer not only dries them out perfectly, but rubs them out to a fine shag cut. But for some odd reason, SWMBO isn't real keen on the idea?

Natch

If you use the microwave set the power level to 20% and go 5 seconds at a time. I have done this when I get to impatient but most times I just set it out on a paper plate.

I have a big, old wooden bowl that I dump out new tobacco for drying...I spread it around the inside of the bowl, leave it for about 24 hours, and it is ready to smoke / jar....

I usually break the seal on a tin and let it sit for a week or so before I jar it. After that if its still to moist when its time to smoke a little time on a paper towel air drying is usually enough for me. I tend to dry aromatics the most as they can be very very wet straight our of the tin.

Natch":qkkflx7v said:
I've found, especially for moist flakes, that a half hour or so on light-fluff in the dryer not only dries them out perfectly, but rubs them out to a fine shag cut. But for some odd reason, SWMBO isn't real keen on the idea?

Natch
This did not work for me. It all ended up either stuck to the dryer sheet or in the lint trap!