Dual Bore Pipe?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brianr

Reaction score
I've seen references to dual bore pipes but, other than guessing at what it could mean, I'm in the dark.

My guess is two bores from the bowel to the mouth piece but I can see no advantage in this and the mechanics of manufacture would seem difficult.

Can someone enlighten me, please?

Brian

IMO it's gimmicky, supposed to cool and direct the smoke away from the tongue. :shock:

The stem simply has two separate holes in a V instead of the usual slot arrangement at the button. No magic.

Sasquatch":qdb3l1kl said:
The stem simply has two separate holes in a V instead of the usual slot arrangement at the button.   No magic.
Thank you, and Dave, for the responses.

Sorry, I'm still not clear in my mind:

Does the dual bore in this case simply mean one bore 'split' at the button or is the split somewhere closer to the stummel or in the stummel.

As Dave posted, it sounds like a gimmick but I'm prepared to learn otherwise.

Thank you again,

Brian

It is useful to those that tend to destroy bits. It removes less material -- making the area stronger than those bits with a V.

brianr":ilfhiyw9 said:
On face value, it looks like snake oil.
Yes, but if you have one and someone else does not, you are keeper of the snake oil.

They must have been trendy at one point, because I got a replacement bit for one of my pipes that was the twin bore. The guy said it would be longer before the twin bore got worn through. It was more expensive but not ridiculously so. Ten years of smoking it every day wore the twin bore to the point I had to replace it. Since the original had also lasted 10 years, I went back to the original style of bit.

I received an estate about a month ago, and its nothing special other then two holes to run a pipe cleaner through less than an inch. It's a good smoker because of the pipe, not the bit.

Craig

A couple years ago, I bought a NOS Savinelli Punto Oro Amber Grain billiard with a twin-bore ebonite saddle stem.

The twin-bore has two air holes at the button that join together half way down the stem into one (think an inverted "Y" design). Other than needing to use relatively "thin" pipe cleaners (I use BJ Long Yellows, but Dills work fine too), maintenance is not an issue.

Is it a gimmick? Maybe. This twin-bore of mine smokes fine.

the muffler on my car is like that ... one in, two out ... the big difference is that I deliberately chose a muffler that doesn't muffle as much as the OEM muffle did which is an effect one doesn't hope for in a pipe ...

I don't think the twin-bore design is anything special. I certainly wouldn't go out of my way to find one. Conversely, if a pipe I want happens to have a twin-bore stem (I buy mostly restored estates now), that wouldn't detract me, in and of itself, from buying that pipe.

IMO, the twin-bore was a big deal 10 years ago, but the fact that not many (if any) pipe makers stuck with it, pretty much tells the story.

Me? I wouldn't NOT buy a pipe with a twin-bore stem, but then again, I wouldn't seek out a twin-bore either.

I have a twin bore Trypis that -- as advertised  -- smokes cool and seems to deliver taste, espec. on Va's and aro's. OTOH other Trypis pipes I have with fishtails are also very good smokers. So to me a twin bore mouthpiece wouldn't be a deal breaker or deal maker. But I would run a cleaner through one before handing over the plastic.

I have a Design Berlin Royal Star that has twin airways in the stem. The only difference that I can tell between the twin airway and the single airway is that it provides another airway that has to be cleaned. I see no advantage that the twin offers. :) 

AJ