Dumb Idea?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarMyFriend

Reaction score
Hey guys!
I've heard of and seen some guys vacuum sealing bulk tobaccos, but for long term storage I was wondering if that'd be a good idea for tinned tobaccos, just as an added layer of protection.
Any thoughts? Has anyone done this with success?
(Is vacuum sealing bulk tobacco a good idea for long term storage anyway?)

Zach

Zach,

There was a recent thread on this I believe. Personally, I wouldn't do it, as the vacuum seal-o-meal type bags are gas permeable. If you're worried about the vacuum style Euro tins losing their seal, and there's a particular blend you like for real long term aging, I would pop the tins & transfer the tobacco to a mason jar over vacuum sealing them. That said, I have heard of folks that vacuum seal their square/rectangular Euro coin style tins as a preventative measure. Nothing worse than finding dust when you open that prized tin of Germain's Special Latakia Flake.

Still, nothing beats a mason jar for aging, period.

DrumsAndBeer":r1ss8u5l said:
Zach,

There was a recent thread on this I believe. Personally, I wouldn't do it, as the vacuum seal-o-meal type bags are gas permeable. If you're worried about the vacuum style Euro tins losing their seal, and there's a particular blend you like for real long term aging, I would pop the tins & transfer the tobacco to a mason jar over vacuum sealing them. That said, I have heard of folks that vacuum seal their square/rectangular Euro coin style tins as a preventative measure. Nothing worse than finding dust when you open that prized tin of Germain's Special Latakia Flake.

Still, nothing beats a mason jar for aging, period.
Yes, this!

Cheers,

RR

Yup, jars with good seals are best.

I do have a fair amount of rectangle/square tins in Foodsaver bags sealed over the tins though. Just wasn't willing to pop the lids I guess.

I wouldn't count on Vacuum seal bags to keep your investment in long term though.

GuitarMyFriend":yk0drmaf said:
I've heard of and seen some guys vacuum sealing bulk tobaccos, but for long term storage I was wondering if that'd be a good idea for tinned tobaccos, just as an added layer of protection.
Any thoughts? Has anyone done this with success?
(Is vacuum sealing bulk tobacco a good idea for long term storage anyway?)
I like the idea of over wrapping tins and I don't think sealing bulks isn't a bad idea especially if storage space and frequent moving is an issue. From everything I've read the consumer vac systems leave in enough air for aging. :shock:

Well jars it is!
I may try it with a tin or two and do a one or two year check on them!
Thanks for the info guys!!!
Zach

GuitarMyFriend":9viajz7h said:
Well jars it is!
I may try it with a tin or two and do a one or two year check on them!
Thanks for the info guys!!!
Zach
You've made the right decision. Nothing works better than Mason Jars with a good seal. :)

AJ

Don't go popping a sealed tin or Mylar bag just to jar it. :shock:

Oh no worries, I won't.
And I cut that last sentence short; I meant I'll try Vacuum Sealing a tin or two. I totally forgot to specify, sorry.

Zach

LOL Alex, If you're that interested in hanging a hammock in the winter, I'll let you borrow my stuff...
Zach

Zach, all I can suggest is Mason or Ball jars with a good seal. Nothing better. Your sealed tins should be fine. I've only had an issue with one tin in over 47 years of smoking a pipe. It was a few months ago with a new release...Temple Bar. It was replaced with no issues.

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!