Dunhill BB (Baby's Bottom) 1938 My Mixture Pipe Tobacco

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

It has been reintroduced!

It's currently available in the UK, and I have read it will come to the USA in the near future. I also read it will be available for only a period of 12 months.

Tobacco description:

"Dunhill My Mixture BB1938 Babys Bottom pipe tobacco is generally a full bodied, smooth, rich and balanced smoke. Full of nice tannins with a clear smoky base due to the premium quality of the Latakia tobacco used in this mixture.

Taste notes of wood, smoke, tannin and spices."

I don't know for you, but I will be buying quite some.

It will be available in the UK around mid - June, I was told by one of the online tobacconists out there.

So we may be looking around September or October in the US, hopefully.

Richard Burley":yp0vvzdm said:
Tannin? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!  :suspect:
It's what "leather" refers to in the professional taster's lexicon.

The following (from <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tannin> as retrieved a few moments ago) provides some insight:

A tannin (also known as vegetable tannin, natural organic tannins, or sometimes tannoid, i.e. a type of biomolecule, as opposed to modern synthetic tannin) is an astringent, bitter plant polyphenolic compound that binds to and precipitates proteins and various other organic compounds including amino acids and alkaloids.

The term tannin (from tanna, an Old High German word for oak or fir tree, as in Tannenbaum) refers to the use of wood tannins from oak in tanning animal hides into leather; hence the words "tan" and "tanning" for the treatment of leather. However, the term "tannin" by extension is widely applied to any large polyphenolic compound containing sufficient hydroxyls and other suitable groups (such as carboxyls) to form strong complexes with various macromolecules.

The tannin compounds are widely distributed in many species of plants, where they play a role in protection from predation, and perhaps also as pesticides, and in plant growth regulation.[1] The astringency from the tannins is what causes the dry and puckery feeling in the mouth following the consumption of unripened fruit or red wine.[2] Likewise, the destruction or modification of tannins with time plays an important role in the ripening of fruit and the aging of wine.

[1] Katie E. Ferrell; Thorington, Richard W. (2006). Squirrels: the animal answer guide. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press. p. 91. ISBN 0-8018-8402-0.

[2] McGee, Harold (2004). On food and cooking: the science and lore of the kitchen. New York: Scribner. p. 714. ISBN 0-684-80001-2.

Guyrox":u42piyns said:
I also read it will be available for only a period of 12 months.
Just wondering where you read it was only going to be available for 12 months. If this is the case, that's going to suck! I'm not sure why they would reintroduce a blend to only produce it for a year. :suspect:

If they do plan to time bomb this blend, I'm hoping if it becomes popular quickly they'll back off on the idea.

I certainly can't wait to try this one.

Tea also contains tanins.

There's a contrast staining process used by some artisan pipe-makers that involves a chemical reaction with tanins and some sort of metal solution to create a black stain that isn't alcohol-soluble. That way you can sand back enough to get your grain-contrast, and apply a golden, red, etc., top stain won't lift the dark base stain and smear it around when you apply the light top stain. I think that's how Eltang did his signature Golden Contrast.

nismo270r":7qvtgpsp said:
Guyrox":7qvtgpsp said:
I also read it will be available for only a period of 12 months.
Just wondering where you read it was only going to be available for 12 months. If this is the case, that's going to suck! I'm not sure why they would reintroduce a blend to only produce it for a year. :suspect:
I read that on a French forum. The gentleman providing the information is usually accurate; however, I am still researching to confirm if this is a fact. I can only rely on what he says for now. If it is only 12 months, we will witness a gaggle with the online merchants sales in the US. :lol!:

I did see some of it available on other websites than my provider (My Smoking Shop UK); but some don't ship outside of the UK; another wanted a 3 - D identification of my CC and they won't get it - that's a bit crazy. Another one, I have never heard of.

So, if it's not in the US by mid- Jun (smokingpipes.com and 4noggins could not confirm a date for me) then I will get it in the UK.

Thomas Tkach":iptqjvvp said:

There's a contrast staining process used by some artisan pipe-makers that involves a chemical reaction with tanins and some sort of metal solution to create a black stain that isn't alcohol-soluble. That way you can sand back enough to get your grain-contrast, and apply a golden, red, etc., top stain won't lift the dark base stain and smear it around when you apply the light top stain. I think that's how Eltang did his signature Golden Contrast.
Tom Eltang used a two-part chemical stain that was primarily used for impregnating laboratory table tops, but was switching over to a less toxic method:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/eltang-turns-new-stain

nismo270r":kr4ddxov said:
Thomas Tkach":kr4ddxov said:

Tom Eltang used a two-part chemical stain that was primarily used for impregnating laboratory table tops, but was switching over to a less toxic method:

http://www.smokingpipes.com/smokingpipesblog/single.cfm/post/eltang-turns-new-stain
Yeah, that's what I was talking about. The copper chloride was the metal solution I mentioned. It has to be mixed with something else to get black, and I know some pipemakers have used a really strong tea. Then you can put different top stains over it if you want.

Coming a little late to this thread, nevertheless:
I have always been a fan of Dunhill tobaccos but never had occassion to smoke their Baby's Bottom blend. I have not attempted to procure the latest release of this mixture.

But recently I did purchase from P&C their match blend for Dunhill BB1938. After several pipesfull I can report that am very pleased. It is smooth smoking with no harsh notes or off flavors. The sweeter notes of the Virginias are not overpowered by the Latakia. I would recommend it to any who like English/Latakia blends. And it's a damn site less expensive than the "real thing" if you can even find it.

mikesan":fuglhubq said:
Coming a little late to this thread, nevertheless:
I have always been a fan of Dunhill tobaccos but never had occassion to smoke their Baby's Bottom blend.  I have not attempted to procure the latest release of this mixture.

But recently I did purchase from P&C their match blend for Dunhill BB1938.  After several pipesfull I can report that am very pleased.  It is smooth smoking with no harsh notes or off flavors.  The sweeter notes of the Virginias are not overpowered by the Latakia.  I would recommend it to any who like English/Latakia blends.  And it's a damn site less expensive than the "real thing" if you can even find it.
I don't know how much you think "expensive" is but smokingpipes.com has it in stock all day at $9.88/50 g tin. :twisted: :twisted: I've yet to find a "match" type of blend to truly equal the OEM blend!!! :twisted:

monbla256":hjz60m2j said:

I don't know how much you think "expensive" is but smokingpipes.com has it in stock all day at $9.88/50 g tin. :twisted: :twisted: I've yet to find a "match" type of blend to truly equal the OEM blend!!! :twisted:
I started smoking Dunhill tobaccos in 1952 and stuck with them for many years.  Over the past few decades the blenders/suppliers changed and many of the blends changed in character also.  For example I smoked Dunhill Early Morning for about 30 years until it became unavailable.  Some years later it was reintroduced (in the USA) and  (to my palate) the "new" product bore very little resemblance to what I was accustomed.  

When that happened I began trying other tobacco makers; usually their own blends but occassionally a "match" blend.  Some of these were quite good; sometimes even better than the currently available blend that they were designed to match.

Since I have never smoked a genuine Dunhill Baby's Bottom, I cannot compare it with the match blend from P&C.  Consequently I cannot say if it is a good match or a poor one. I can only report that it was a very pleasant smoke.  It costs about half as much as the $9.88/50 g you quoted for the "real thing".

I would be very glad to hear remarks from anyone who has tried both. :)

Yo milesan and monbla,

At the Lehigh Valley Pipe Club, the great RussO (who in my book exceeds the Kansas City blender (who is pretty good) and the historical geniuses at Peretti's) tried out his Match1938 prototypes on us, very willing, guinea pigs/beta testing panel. Many of us are Latlovers, and not necessarily just Latbomb fiends. Some of us have puffed Dunhills back to the 60s, ie REAL Dunhills and pre-Murrays, much less Orlik. McConnell may have figured in there somewhere. You still take the cake if you have experience back into the 50s.

Anyway, we unanimously endorse RussO's match as significantly superior to the Dunhill Euro and US re-issues. The 'original' BB was so faded and diminished with age, that although it had its charms with what is basically a subtle and light English, was not in the same ballpark at this point.

The Dunhill, like all of it's non-flake siblings, does load and burn very well, but in the taste department, it is RussO's 'Match' that resides in my Top200 Cellar.

hp
les