Dunhill nightcap Vs My mixture 965

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewMystic

Reaction score
I recently bought a tin of dunhill "nightcap" tried 3 small bowls. Me no likey. however, am interested in trying "my mixture 965"
Any thoughts?

I enjoy them both, but prefer 965 by a slight margin.

I think there is a big enough difference between the two that most people are likely to have a preference between the two...that said, I think their similar enough that if you really don't like one the other one probably isn't going to strike you as being fantastic.

Just coming off the back of a big 965 trip. It certainly is not as full on as Nightcap. Much nuttier and creamier. We have these chocolate sweets in the UK called 'Walnut Whips'. And that is what 965 is exactly like, smoking a Walnut Whip. Nutty, creamy and slightly sweet from the Va's. Easy to smoke all day, goes really well with coffee or tea. The Nightcap will 'calm down' significantly after 6 months or so in a jar. Funnily enough I had a bowl last night. Yum-yum. And after 4 back to back tins of 965, I'm back on the Elizabethan Mixture for a while. It's just how I roll.... :) 

With 965, I would buy the tins and not the bulk. The last bit of bulk 965 I had smoked harsh.

IMHO, as far as those two iconic blends are concerned, I think they're good but there are other Latakia blends that I prefer*. Same goes with EMP and London Mixture.

*Preferences may (& will) vary.  ;) 

I agree with the suggestion to buy the tinned 965 rather than the bulk. 965 has a black Cavendish component which gives it its characteristic creamy smoothness. It is considerably less strong in the Vitamin N department than Nightcap. I haven't smoked much Nightcap, but the Murray's 965 used to be a solid favorite of mine. I have heard mixed opinions about the current production.

Ok, that being said, I love Peterson blends(only recently) So what about Old Dublin?

Nightcap has always been too strong for me. 965 is just right with a smooth nuttiness about it. I like Old Dublin, too. Caveat: All of my tins of these tobaks are 5 - 10 years old, so we might be talking about two different plant products. Things change, and rarely for the better.

NewMystic":hx7ft35x said:
Ok, that being said, I love Peterson blends(only recently) So what about Old Dublin?
I don't know if you are familiar with this site but it will provide a lot of reading on every blend imaginable.
I usually find someone that has similar tastes in tobacco and follow that persons recommendations to see if mine are parallel.

http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/

Oh, and as far as Peterson's tobaccos are concerned I love them with the exception of the aromatics.
 :D :D 

I like them both however NIGHTCAP is hands down my favorite. In fact I think it's my favorite English. Anyhow I find 965 to be a little sweeter.
Cheers!

965 (current production) is a daily smoke for me. I can't tell the difference between bulk or tin.
I find Nightcap too stout in the Nic department. I did mix some Nightcap with Early Morning Pipe in equal amounts and found that to be quite pleasant.

I've tried Old Dublin twice and each time I was completely disgusted (the smell alone is horrific).

Different animals, really. 965 is intended to be an all-day smoke, and Nightcap is just that. Some people will take issue with that and scream the exception, but in a general sense, each has its own context. Nightcap was always a favorite, and I liked it both early morning and after a rich meal or late at night. 965 was more like a siesta smoke.