Dunhill Space Shuttle

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bill Taylor (Ashton) told me that he had made those pipes just before leaving Dunhill. I believe the small pipe is made to smoke, and can be removed from the holder.
Mike

Gentlemen, if you take a look at the top view of that (those) pipes, it sure as hell appears to my poor eyesite that the small one has indeed been removed and smoked. Thoughts?

Bruce

Never Forgrt!

BB....I'm guessing that the lack of any bowl coating makes it appear the little one has been smoked. Just a guess though!! FTRPLT

Bulldog Bruce":i9xptwx0 said:
Gentlemen, if you take a look at the top view of that (those) pipes, it sure as hell appears to my poor eyesite that the small one has indeed been removed and smoked. Thoughts?
That seems spot on if one looks closely. Amazing. I wonder, first, if it holds only one ribbon or two (or, perhaps it was designed for the ever elusive Dunhill 'mini flake')? Second, where was it again that Tom Thumb went to buy his pipe cleaners? And, third, would it be considered a Dunhill Group -6, or a Dunhill Group -5?

ftrplt":0orr6f1t said:
BB....I'm guessing that the lack of any bowl coating makes it appear the little one has been smoked. Just a guess though!! FTRPLT
I agree; I think it's just dust and schmutz, not having been smoked.

Jack

A sub-nose warmer = a lip burner?

Cute little pipe. In Shanghai last summer I saw a couple of very large Dunhill billiards that had beautifully intricate paintings of storks and a wetland painted on the bowls. I recall them being around $5000 and up. I don't know if Dunhill OKed/painted them, or if they were done locally, as the style looked very oriental.

Natch

I love those painted Dunnies but they are far out of my budget, and I don't think I could smoke a $5000 pipe without thinking about the $5000 the whole time.

Are they a dress finish or just a really dark finish?

I think the painted Dunhills are covered with chinese lacquer and then painted with a technique called "maki-e". The same thing is sometimes done on fountain pens (Pilot), lighters (Dupont) and other accessories. It looks very nice but what worries me is the resistance of the chinese lacquer to heat... Also I'm not sure if such a pipe would smoke very well since the coating is probably very impermeable so it would take a very long time to dry and it might get very hot... Or maybe I'm wrong :p
The space shuttle is really cool though, the small pipe should be connected to the large mouthpiece so one could smoke them both at a time... 8)

I got the impression looking at them (and not touching them!) that they were made to sit on a crystal display stand in a glass box in the library, not to be stuffed with Walnut and kept in the glove box. :mrgreen:

Natch

...And Natch there in lies a particular problem, I can’t buy a pipe and let it sit on a self or in a crystal case. I guess that is why I haven’t bought anything lately but billiards because of the fine smoke I get from them. I’m a pipe smoker not a collector.