Dunhill Tobaccos Doomed

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Looks like BAT, the owner of the trademark, is pulling off the legendary brand off the market. These are sad news for us.
This is a copy/paste of the message left by Leonard Wortzel, manager at STG Lane, on another forum (Pipes Magazine):

"Hi All:
As you may have seen in a separate thread, BAT (owner of the Dunhill brand), has announced that it has decided to 'cease trading' with Dunhill pipe tobacco and cigars.
STG Lane is the importer for the pipe tobacco here in the U.S.
Here is what we know: BAT plans to cease trading Dunhill Pipe Tobacco in the U.S. in the next 12 - 18 months. The decision was the result of an internal BAT business review.
That is ALL we know right now. At the point of this writing, anything else you may read or hear regarding the precise business reasons behind the decision, exact timing, etc., should be considered pure speculation.
As we learn more about the fate of this beloved brand, we will of course keep you informed."

Lord Guyrox":evu3kg5d said:
Looks like BAT, the owner of the trademark, is pulling off the legendary brand off the market. These are sad news for us.
This is a copy/paste of the message left by Leonard Wortzel, manager at STG Lane, on another forum (Pipes Magazine):

"Hi All:
As you may have seen in a separate thread, BAT (owner of the Dunhill brand), has announced that it has decided to 'cease trading' with Dunhill pipe tobacco and cigars.
STG Lane is the importer for the pipe tobacco here in the U.S.
Here is what we know: BAT plans to cease trading Dunhill Pipe Tobacco in the U.S. in the next 12 - 18 months. The decision was the result of an internal BAT business review.
That is ALL we know right now. At the point of this writing, anything else you may read or hear regarding the precise business reasons behind the decision, exact timing, etc., should be considered pure speculation.
As we learn more about the fate of this beloved brand, we will of course keep you informed."
:cry:

Stick":3c2z07if said:
Crikey.  Let's hope someone else picks up the baton.
Even in this uncertain environment, I'd be shocked if someone doesn't step in and scoop it up.

I hate to say this, but I saw this coming. What tobacco manufacturer wants to deal with the FDA costs and regulations??? My honest opinion, I believe many/most tobacco manufacturers will no longer sell to the U.S. market by March of 2018. That's basically why I've been suggesting stock up your cellar now on a monthly basis, whatever you can afford. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

Well isn't that special!!!! Glad I have beaucoup tins (many Murray and earlier!!) agin' in the stash. At my age (70), I wouldn't be buying anymore anyway. Damn sad to see these business decisions though. I truly think the FDA may just be a little more "friendly" over the next four years!! :cheers: FTRPLT

ftrplt":9mldij3a said:
I truly think the FDA may just be a little more "friendly" over the next four years!! :cheers: FTRPLT
Yep. Regardless of how anyone feels about the current political landscape, and purely within the limits of the tobacco industry/hobby, if we were going to get any relief from the current trend, this administration and congress is about the best hope we're going to get (even then, though, the best case scenario is that it buys us some time).

Well, there's the FDA in the US, and there's the EU legislation that also has an impact.
Leonard is talking from the US's market perspective. The reality remains that Dunhill will cease its pipe tobacco and cigar manufacturing activities altogether, everywhere. It has to do with the TPD2 legislation in the EU, specifically the warning labels. BAT decided to ditch it due to cost deemed too detrimental to the profits, I guess.
Maybe someone else will acquire the rights? But then again, if the costs are deemed detrimental by BAT...

It's a shame, truly, but I dislike every Dunhill blend. No skin off my back; however, I wouldn't want to see any big pipe tobacco brand to go under like this.

Lord Guyrox":qut4db4g said:
Well, there's the FDA in the US, and there's the EU legislation that also has an impact.
Leonard is talking from the US's market perspective. The reality remains that Dunhill will cease its pipe tobacco and cigar manufacturing activities altogether, everywhere. It has to do with the TPD2 legislation in the EU, specifically the warning labels. BAT decided to ditch it due to cost deemed too detrimental to the profits, I guess.
Maybe someone else will acquire the rights? But then again, if the costs are deemed detrimental by BAT...
I agree that this probably has more to do with EU regs. IMO The Dunhill mixtures would be free and clear with the new FDA regs.

The only Dunhill tobacco I've ever smoked an enjoyed in the past 48 years is Nightcap tin version only. But it's a darn shame when you see a big tobacco company announce that their tobacco's will no longer be made.  This does have much to do with the EU & US markets combined. For a while now England has not been permitted to export tobacco to the USA. That's the main reason  Glynn closed GQ down. 

KEEP ON PUFFING!!!

I do enjoy the new Dark Flake of theirs, seems a shame to have it go the way of the Dino so soon... Probably should have grabbed more than the one tin..

I will miss Dunhill Flake but that's about it, I can't think of another straight Virginia Flake quite like it. Although IRC VA Flake comes pretty damn close, especially with age. London Mixture is a fine blend but it's gotten lost in the shuffle of my rotation over the years. 965, Standard Mixture & EMP - Meh. Nightcap - Good flavor, too strong.

Anyway, what I find most disconcerting is that a big conglomerate like British American Tobacco would bail out on a big name label like Dunhill. In the world of pipe smoking, it's probably the biggest product name you will ever come across. For sales, an ace in the hole. For BAT to give Dunhill up is surely a sign of the market deterioration to come. :cry:

The Dunhill name was established via clever advertising by Albert Dunhill.

The believe was vested that Dunhill pipes are the best pipes available. People bought the pipes to be "in fashion". Over the years Dunhill became the norm against which other pipes were tested.

Now, we all know that Dunhill pipes are just ordinary pipes. Nothing special at all. I've got cheap, real cheap pipes which are excellent smokers and much better than my 2 Dunhills. I've got 1945 and 1980 "models" which I don't smoke because even my cheap Sav Pisa is a way better pipe than said Dunhills.

It had to follow that Dunhill tobacco was also rated much higher than it deserved. They do make some nice tobacco. I prefer excellent tobacco. This I can buy all over and at a much lower price. And I'm pretty sure lots of smokers came to the same conclusion. If Dunhill sales were good the name would not have been dropped. Nobody kills the goose who lays the golden eggs.

And yes, I see the day coming when even the White Spot won't be so white anymore. Our local B&M offered quite a lot of Dunhills at a 25% discount last year. Nobody took advantage of this generous offer!

SpeedyPete":0czvymqh said:
The Dunhill name was established via clever advertising by Albert Dunhill.

The believe was vested that Dunhill pipes are the best pipes available. People bought the pipes to be "in fashion".  Over the years Dunhill became the norm against which other pipes were tested.

Now, we all know that Dunhill pipes are just ordinary pipes. Nothing special at all.  I've got cheap, real cheap pipes which are excellent smokers and much better than my 2 Dunhills. I've got  1945 and 1980 "models" which I don't smoke because even my cheap Sav Pisa is a way better pipe than said Dunhills.

It had to follow that Dunhill tobacco was also rated much higher than it deserved.  They do make some nice tobacco. I prefer excellent tobacco.  This I can buy all over and at a much lower price.  And I'm pretty sure lots of smokers came to the same conclusion.  If Dunhill sales were good the name would not have been dropped.  Nobody kills the goose who lays the golden eggs.

And yes, I see the day coming when even the White Spot won't be so white anymore.  Our local B&M offered quite a lot of Dunhills at a 25% discount last year.  Nobody took advantage of this generous offer!
Everybody has their favorite blends and manufacturers.  All a matter of taste.  I like Dunhill Flake and will always have a place for EMP.
Speaking of different tastes, I for one can not wrap my head around the idea that many of the Lane bulks (1Q etc) are the "best selling in America".  I have tried to like them but can't :D   That said, more power to the guys that have pounds of it cellered and it is their everyday smoke.

I don't like it when any big brands go away.  Variety is good and fear that DrumsandBeer is right that this is a sign of things to come.

DrumsAndBeer":lo7iuz92 said:
I will miss Dunhill Flake but that's about it, I can't think of another straight Virginia Flake quite like it. Although IRC VA Flake comes pretty damn close, especially with age.  London Mixture is a fine blend but it's gotten lost in the shuffle of my rotation over the years. 965, Standard Mixture & EMP - Meh. Nightcap - Good flavor, too strong.

Anyway, what I find most disconcerting is that a big conglomerate like British American Tobacco would bail out on a big name label like Dunhill. In the world of pipe smoking, it's probably the biggest product name you will ever come across. For sales, an ace in the hole. For BAT to give Dunhill up is surely a sign of the market deterioration to come. :cry:    
:cry:

DrumsAndBeer":d4jmpdlz said:
For BAT to give Dunhill up is surely a sign of the market deterioration to come. :cry:    
This is my main cause for concern out of this news. I do suppose a large purchase of Royal Yacht may be in order.