EARTH

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpeedyPete

Reaction score
What does earth taste like in a tobacco?

I've seen this in numerous reviews, tobacco tastes earth like! I've never had the privilege to taste earth.

What does it mean when a tobacco taste like earth? I can only imagine it's like tasting sand/gravel/composs which can't be nice :twisted:

If you ever want to taste/smell what I would refer to as "earthy" and if you don't mind a little snuff in your diet, head over to Mr Snuff and grab a tin of Fribourg & Treyer's High Dry Toast. It literally smells like the crawl space of a raised foundation home. This is what I would refer to as an "earthy tobacco flavor."

As for pipe tobacco, the simple flavor of a hearty burley has always struck me as somewhat dirt or soil like in flavor (but in a good way). Many Nicaraguan cigars strike my senses in the same fashion (especially Padrons), as does Semois which to me also has a vegetal, manure and hay like aroma which I would classify as barnyard like. Moooo

The one I find amazing is "... tastes like leather" !! I feel so left out not having consumed any tanned cow skin in all my 68 years on this planet that I wonder how I can continue to smoke !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

DrumsAndBeer":qfbieqn3 said:
The one I find amazing is Ketchup! :p
Especialy when it doesn't smell nor taste like ketchup :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

People that haven't tasted a little dirt in there lives aren't missing much
but, obviously have had it way too easy. ;)

monbla256":pc6uutjc said:
The one I find amazing is "... tastes like leather" !! I feel so left out not having consumed any tanned cow skin in all my 68 years on this planet that I wonder how I can continue to smoke !! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Ever used your teeth to hold a baseball mitt while removing your jacket as a kid? Bet you have. And you'd remember what that was like.

;)

Cheers,

RR

Cartaphilus":9bhj4txt said:
Ron, I grew up very poor but despite of that, we never ate dirt neither did we chew leather :twisted: We did not eat grass or hay either. That was used for the farm animals only.

SpeedyPete":kwpu1q10 said:
Cartaphilus":kwpu1q10 said:
Ron, I grew up very poor but despite of that, we never ate dirt neither did we chew leather :twisted:  We did not eat grass or hay either.  That was used for the farm animals only.
Did all of that when I was a kid including chew'en on lead sinkers. ;)

But we never ate paint! :no:

Cartaphilus":bf86isv8 said:
SpeedyPete":bf86isv8 said:
Cartaphilus":bf86isv8 said:
Ron, I grew up very poor but despite of that, we never ate dirt neither did we chew leather :twisted:  We did not eat grass or hay either.  That was used for the farm animals only.

Eeew! I hate to think how many split shot sinkers I bit down on when fishing. :drunken:

Come to think of it, that could explain a lot!

MisterE":rs2re7k9 said:
Cartaphilus":rs2re7k9 said:
SpeedyPete":rs2re7k9 said:
Cartaphilus":rs2re7k9 said:

Eeew! I hate to think how many split shot sinkers I bit down on when fishing. :drunken:

Come to think of it, that could explain a lot!
Imagine a blend with hints of green painted lead sinkers,  a whiff of old leather gloves and well worn army boots, faint florals like grannies panties, woodsy reminders of shavings from old toilet seats and a far-off but destinct smell of tobacco.

Would y'all be happier with something like " it tastes the way earth/leather smells?" For me the two senses are so intertwined when smoking that I don't know for certain which I'm using. This is especially true on the retrohale. As an example, there is a flavor/smell that I find prominent in 3Nuns that I can only describe as varnished wood. I don't know if its helpful to use that term trying to explain my sensory experience to you. In fact I'm not even sure it is possible to explain it. But it is a way for me to capture my own subjective experience. So I keep the varnished wood to myself and just say its good.
Mike.

The closest thing to an "earthy taste" is smoking a Cuban cigar.. I haven't found this taste in any pipe tobacco I've smoked.

If you've ever tilled a garden in the spring to get it ready for planting and tilled in good clean compost, planted then raked smooth, you may have an idea. At least that is how I think of it.

Puff Daddy wrote:
   Translations:

Tastes like fine corinthian leather: I think I just licked a horse. I taste forrest loam: I think I just licked dirt. I find traces of turbinado sugar: Wtf?! Did they mix some Cap n Crunch in this sh#$? Produces an array of earthy, organic, musky notes reminiscent of walks in a peat bog on a foggy morning: Tastes like as$. Reminds me of mrs Frontbottom: Last night was a big mistake.....

Think PD pretty much nailed it.

In my line of geotechnical work, to see the make-up and strata/conglomerate of certain specimen rocks, I have licked plenty. Fortunately, flavor is not a scientifically-recognized category I can put into reports. Perhaps if I went the other direction and found out which tobaccos they tasted like and why, I could change all of that and revolutionize the mining and exploration industry. :mrgreen:

8)