Ebay etiquette -- contacting a seller

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

forsooth

Reaction score
Hello, brothers --

An interesting pipe is "Buy me now" on Ebay, but the price is too high. The sale time expires and no one buys the pipe. The pipe is relisted (or not). Is it considered proper for a buyer to contact the seller about negotiating a lower price?

I was thinking that maybe the seller has an agreement with Ebay to not personally negotiate with a buyer for an Ebay-listed item....?????

Nothing wrong with contacting a seller after an item ends and no one buys it. Happens to me at times.

Unless they changed the rules along the way Ebay expressly forbids such action. By listing with them you are bound by contract not to sell outside of Ebay.

If an item doesn't sell, then the contract is dissolved; if it is re-listed, then it is a renegotiated contract.

Sellers have the option to accept offers, but people don't seem to use that function very often.

That said, do what you want, people don't seem to care about what Ebay says on the subject these days anywho. :lol:

Unless the item has been bid on the seller can alter the listing to include Buy It Now price (or maybe even when it has been, not 100% sure). In any case, it's worth asking and there is nothing wrong with that.

I'd say go for it!

I've done it as a buyer and seller both inside and outside of eBay. I wouldn't go outside of eBay as a buyer unless I know or trust the seller. Researching a sellers completed listings and feedback might give you clues to the bottom line especially on reserve price auctions. :shock: