Ebola Virus in US

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cartaphilus":u0oc9k3d said:
puros_bran":u0oc9k3d said:
If Ebola doesn't do it stupidty will.
I've got to agree with ya there, Ouch! that hurt!
Actually the obese, heart disease, diabetic riddled McDonald's customer stuffing that last non-meat based McNugget in their mouth while texting the latest Kardashian story is far more likely to do us all in........ Ouch indeed.

Did I not say Stupidity will?

Edited in: I will add this though... Hard to hate on fatboy too much, when a lb of happy mc burger fry is $4 and a lb of turkey meat is $12

TMacphersonNH":7jbmotck said:
Cartaphilus":7jbmotck said:
puros_bran":7jbmotck said:
If Ebola doesn't do it stupidty will.
I've got to agree with ya there, Ouch! that hurt!
Actually the obese, heart disease, diabetic riddled McDonald's customer stuffing that last non-meat based McNugget in their mouth while texting the latest Kardashian story is far more likely to do us all in........ Ouch indeed.
Phew! Dodge that bullet, I aint fat, hate McDonald's, and don't own a cell phone.
And who's Kardashian?

Am i hearing correctly? The second nurse's fiancée is now under observation?

Might not be PC, but I understand napalm has some nice sanitizing effects.
Just saying.
I have a great cartoon I could post, but the mods would be on it like a goose on a junebug (g)..

bosun1":vo4pxbx8 said:
I have a great cartoon I could post, but the mods would be on it like a goose on a junebug (g)..
PM it to me, B, if that's allowed.  I can take it.  

Hey, anyone ever doubled the number one twenty times?  I find math fascinating.

Post it.. The worse thing that can happen is you get a stern warning.. Act  ignorant and humble and they don't even punch you in the face anymore... Place has went to hell lately..

Mmm, interesting thoughts. It seems that the rest of the passengers on the flight are now being sought. The governments can't think very highly of their general populous. Apparently the latest casualty wasn't showing signs of the illness whilst on the plane so there's no need for the other passengers to worry.
So, if there's no risk (inferred from the lack of symptoms displayed in the casualty), why the need to track them down? And, do they not think that most people realise that most viruses and bacterias have a 'gestation' period before the symptoms are seen?
But hey, if you can't trust the governments of the world, then who can you trust?

21 days...

And I got to ask what a random poster on a 'news' article wrote.  If it is Actually only communicable via body fluids... Why is the military in full gas mask not catching it and the medical people in simple mouth covers and eyeshields catching it?  

If it is only communicable via body fluids why put the hazmat crew in their chemical warfare outfits to clean the apartments?   

And why hunt for an entire flight of people?  Why not the entire airport, both of them... And the luggage handlers, the taxi drivers, the security that may or may not have randomly felt her up, the kid wearing the fancy title of barrister that made her over roasted coffee?  The hotel rooms she stayed in, the cleaning ladies, the taxi or rental cars?   

None of this stuff makes sense.

Malaria kills between 0.5 and 1 million people every year. Yes ebola is a nasty bug and we should be doing a lot more to contain it. But since the first reported ebola case in the 1970s until today there have been less than 10,000 documented deaths. Malaria kills more than that in one day!
Mike.

Yeah but again... Malaria kills Africans and Latinos, and occasionally an Arab or Asian... Who cares...

puros_bran":ft50c0ys said:
Yeah but again... Malaria kills Africans and Latinos, and occasionally an Arab or Asian... Who cares...
Sounds like this thing needs to move to the Rubber Room :twisted: :twisted:

monbla256":ktg6xsmu said:
puros_bran":ktg6xsmu said:
Sounds like this thing needs to move to the Rubber Room :twisted: :twisted:
Why? Is there an irony detector in there?

Thank you Richard.....   Same thing as Ebola... Nobody cares until US citizens are dying.. Or as I said earlier

5,000 Africans die and nobody bats an eye
2 Americans die and everybody loses their mind.

Edited In: there are workable treatments for Malaria and malaria prevention.   There is only one FDA non approved drug that cures Ebola and they can't approve it without study because it might have worse side effects than hemmohraging out and dying a painful death.

A cruise ship got turned away from Mexico today. A person who handled specimen testing decided it was a good time to get on a ship with thousands of passengers.

Pay the medical workers an enormous hazard pay and lock them down.

Ok so I'm not sure how much stock to put in this but I'll share what hospital staff here has been told about what happened to the second nurse. The staff here was told that she was not wearing her PPD(PPE) for the first three days she treated her patient. PPD/PPE depends on where you're at in the country I guess but for those that don't know its personal protective devices or equipment. Usually consists of a full gown, hair covering, gloves, respiratory mask, and either goggles or a full face shield. Whether this is true or nit I don't know. It could be or it could be hospital administrators trying to scare staff into wearing their PPD/PPE.

Standard PPE generally involves gloves and hand hygiene.  Then you have patient populations that involve different degrees of isolation.  Contact isolation for Clostridium for example, which requires the addition of a gown.  Droplet isolation for flu, which you have the joy of mask and face shield.  Airborne for TB, in which you have a particle mask and a negative pressure room.  If you work in the ED, unless there is a red flag or a patient history, you risk initial exposure to whatever brought them in.  Regarding Ebola, they've provided us with zero information as of yet.  Now that it's in a large metroplex, there's a good chance it will travel, and there will be a learning curve in which some of us will be infected.  In time, we'll learn how to deal with this, but there will be some losses.  Welcome to the world of healthcare.