Edgeworth flake made by Larus

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fr_Tom":hes4nf40 said:
So how did this not get a mention in the "oldest in your cellar" thread?
Because it's open and being smoked, and so not cellared anymore?

It looks great, Doc!  I wonder how Troost Slices or Wessex Burley Sliced compare. . . .

AMAZING that tobac that old has stayed so smokeable for so long !! It looks like it was packed recently !! I tried some of that 35 years ago and it was not good for my system, Was when I realized LOTS of Burley was NOT for me! But for a Burley lover, that looks like heaven :twisted: :twisted: 

Excellent photos! :D  Doc was extremely generous in sending me some of these flakes when he opened that tin. I'm a burleyphile and I don't try to hide it :)  When I got the flakes they were definitely smokeable, I smoked a bowl of it right away, but it was pretty dry so I carefully rehydrated the rest. Damp towel draped over bowl method, worked perfectly. The little flakes became pliable and plumped up a little, they smell glorious. The very next day I got a nasty headcold (kids went back to school from summer vacation and immediately brought home some fresh viruses :x  ) and was sick for a week and a half. Immediately after that I began a run of night shifts which leave me kinda exhausted, brain dead and uninterested in smoking (or drinking, or eating, or sex, or....). Once that ended the late summer winds showed up and must have mingled with all the smoke from the Sierra fires and my allergies went into full sneeze mode for a couple of weeks. The gods are punishing me! I've smoked exactly four bowls of tobacco (and one cigar) in a month. But, all is clearing now and I am finally starting to taste things again. I plan to spend some quality time with these flakes in the immediate future and will report back with my findings :) 

It really is amazing how well this tobacco has held up given it's age. I'm quite sure that it would be dead stuff if it were a virginia or English.

Great find Doc.

I wish I could tell you that your tobacco was 87 years old but it is really only 64 years old.

The "1926" on the tax stamp refers to the tax act of 1926.
Beginning in 1932 "series numbers" were added to the stamp starting with series 102 and ending with series 125 in 1955. Series 119 would be from 1949.

You are indeed fortunate to find such an old example of this fine tobacco.

Regards,
Mike Brissett

pipemaker":tdrxz4u2 said:
Great find Doc.

I wish I could tell you that your tobacco was 87 years old but it is really only 64 years old.

Beginning in 1932 "series numbers" were added to the stamp starting with series 102 and ending with series 125 in 1955. Series 119 would be from 1949.

Regards,
Mike Brissett
Still pretty amazing that it's still smokeable at 64 years !! :!: :!: l

pipemaker":brp4sfgl said:
Great find Doc.

Regards,
Mike Brissett
Edgeworth ad from Life, June 6, 1949

edgeworth-06-06-49-celeb_zps3cffb54d.jpg

Regards,
Mike Brissett
Thanks so much for that information Mike. I'm glad that you were able to nail down the tax stamp series dates.
Now I can reference some of the other old tins of American tobaccos.
Andy