Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This sounds like something I should be checking out! Thanks for bringing it to my attention guys!

Re-posted from the WAYSRN thread for the hell of it. The discussion there had turned to whether EGR actually smoked this:

For those interested and don't know, this subject is covered a bit in the Winter 2009 (Vol. 13 #4, pgs. 14-18). It's a featured article, with EGR's mug on the cover. Of note, one tobacco he liked was Peretti's 102. And Dunhill. He was pretty much a tobacco omnivore, if that's the right word.

egr10.jpg
" />

Never tried EJR, but did read some of the reviews at TR. My only comment is that I don't feel negative reviews are a bad thing. They can be quite helpful if they come from someone that has similar tastes to my own.

tslots":o9pmyydc said:
Never tried EJR, but did read some of the reviews at TR.    My only comment is that I don't feel negative reviews are a bad thing.   They can be quite helpful if they come from someone that has similar tastes to my own.    
Or if the reviewer is a complete ass. I agree.

Oh brother are you guys a bad influence on me.............

I'm now having some EGR shipped to where I plan on staying in Portland, and my TAD is showing up tomorrow which incidentally includes a healthy dose of McC's 5100, which was also healthily endorsed by other Brothers.....

With 10 hands of Bright VA leaf, 2 hands Yenidje, 3 of aged Burley, and 1 Izmir on it's way, I am officially screwed on my beer fund....

Guess it's time to get a project arranged for future funding...........

I'm now having some EGR shipped to where I plan on staying in Portland, and my TAD is showing up tomorrow which incidentally includes a healthy dose of McC's 5100, which was also healthily endorsed by other Brothers.....

With 10 hands of Bright VA leaf, 2 hands Yenidje, 3 of aged Burley, and 1 Izmir on it's way, I am officially screwed on my beer fund....

Ozark Wizard":24a0zgfp said:

Do let us know how you get on with the EGR Wiz. And the 5100!

Cheers,

RR

Will do, Brewdude, will do.

Let me know what you think of the contents of the envelope arriving tomorrow?

Prost!

Got the tin, opened it today. Interesting stuff the SGR. Subtle aro. A bit of bite through the nose...

The 5100, I jarred most of it up. Smoked around four ounces, thought it rocked. Pretty sweet and mild... I'll be banking a healthy stash of this for sure! Got some 2000 today, jarred most of it too. Working on the rouge ounce now, and it is really sweet.

I don't know about anyone else, but I tried it and quite liked it. I smoke mostly English blends, but I do like an occasional aromatic, as long as they're not too sweet. Tobacco Galleria Classic Vanilla is the sole exception, which for some reason I really like, heresy or not. This seems to have a nice balance. I think it will probably replace MacBarens as my go to light aromatic. Thanks Jim.

I enjoy it. Here's my review from Tobaccoreviews.com (Thank you Brewdude, for the sample)  :D

This is indeed a superbly blended, mellow and mildly flavorful aromatic mixture. I enjoy the taste of this tobacco quite a bit.

Almost embarrassing to admit, smoking this conjures up memories of the days when I used to sneak away from the house with a few of my older brother's Djarum kretek cigarettes. Those were great times.

The flavor is pleasant, and I get a touch of honey on the tongue and a distinct hint of clove in the side stream. The latakia is so light that it goes entirely undetected except for a small hint here and there towards the end of the bowl.

Edward G Robinson's burns even, smokes fairly cool and it does indeed have a wee-kick to it. I do get somewhat of a bite from this, as well a sting on the lips, so it needs to be smoked slow and dried out a bit before hand. I found that it smokes really great in a cob.

Also, I love the story behind the revival of this mixture.

Pipe Used: Cob

1 person found this review helpful.

DrumsAndBeer":od4wh35b said:
I enjoy it. Here's my review from Tobaccoreviews.com (Thank you Brewdude, for the sample)  :D

This is indeed a superbly blended, mellow and mildly flavorful aromatic mixture. I enjoy the taste of this tobacco quite a bit.

Almost embarrassing to admit, smoking this conjures up memories of the days when I used to sneak away from the house with a few of my older brother's Djarum kretek cigarettes. Those were great times.

The flavor is pleasant, and I get a touch of honey on the tongue and a distinct hint of clove in the side stream. The latakia is so light that it goes entirely undetected except for a small hint here and there towards the end of the bowl.

Edward G Robinson's burns even, smokes fairly cool and it does indeed have a wee-kick to it. I do get somewhat of a bite from this, as well a sting on the lips, so it needs to be smoked slow and dried out a bit before hand. I found that it smokes really great in a cob.

Also, I love the story behind the revival of this mixture.

Pipe Used: Cob

1 person found this review helpful.
They say the guy who upvoted you looks like Edward G. Robinson.

Also, I am liking this blend even more now. I had two bowls over the weekend and my sample is about gone. That's the best indicator nowadays of what I am "actually" enjoying.

I am strongly considering a tub.

DrumsAndBeer":5kor0rpz said:
Also, I am liking this blend even more now. I had two bowls over the weekend and my sample is about gone. That's the best indicator nowadays of what I am "actually" enjoying.

Do yourself a favor. When you open the tub, smell the tobacco. Man, it's great!

Btw, I read all of your reviews. You do a good job, even when we disagree, though we agree more than we don't.

DrumsAndBeer":ffu01okc said:

It's been good for me as well, and I am far from an Aro guy!

:face:

Cheers,

RR

JimInks":u7k013kf said:
Do yourself a favor. When you open the tub, smell the tobacco. Man, it's great!

Btw, I read all of your reviews. You do a good job, even when we disagree, though we agree more than we don't.
That's the first thing I do when I open a tin, tub or baggie. :p

Thanks for the kind words. I read all your reviews as well. I can't tell you how many times I have asked myself "I wonder what Jim thinks of this blend?" :D