Edward G. Robinson's Pipe Blend

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canicus61

Reaction score
TRied my first bowl of this last night, in a LaRocca saddle bit meer-lined bent billiard - and I have to say I was surprised at the quality of this blend - a better version of PA, it seemed to me, with a touch of latakia to keep it interesting to me and inoffensive to those surrounding.....

JimInks posts inspired me to try this - was before I realized he seems to have every pipe and baccy ever made in his collection! (wasn't just the avatar!)

That said, another great find due to BoB - I was surprised when reading reviews of this blend on tobacco reviews.com - I have to say this is my idea at least of an old-fashioned tobacco, nothing gourmet about it, but with pleasant taste, no bite, and enough character to please.....was wondering if anyone else had tried this one and if so, how popular it is? Is this a relatively new blend or a 'match' of some previous?

About to have another on the outskirts of central park in a Tuesday cob.....

Smoked some a long time ago. Can't remember much about it other than its being OK. As I remember, the blend is visually interesting, i.e., has a variety of tobaccos in it and was quit mild. I had forgotten that it had a little latakia. Perhaps I'll try some with my next order. I have a soft spot for these domestic, old-time, mild, all-day blends.

I smoke it on a fairly regular basis. I enjoy the old Burley blends and this one fits the bill. Another that I personally enjoy is Spilman's Mixture.
 :D 

Canicus61":4l9iru58 said:
TRied my first bowl of this last night, in a LaRocca saddle bit meer-lined bent billiard - and I have to say I was surprised at the quality of this blend - a better version of PA, it seemed to me, with a touch of latakia to keep it interesting to me and inoffensive to those surrounding.....

JimInks posts inspired me to try this - was before I realized he seems to have every pipe and baccy ever made in his collection! (wasn't just the avatar!)

That said, another great find due to BoB - I was surprised when reading reviews of this blend on tobacco reviews.com - I have to say this is my idea at least of an old-fashioned tobacco, nothing gourmet about it, but with pleasant taste, no bite, and enough character to please.....was wondering if anyone else had tried this one and if so, how popular it is? Is this a relatively new blend or a 'match' of some previous?

About to have another on the outskirts of central park in a Tuesday cob.....
I'm very glad you like it. It's such a good mild aro, and seeing that I'm normally a Va., VaPer, and VaBur smoker, you can imagine my surprise when I tried it and enjoyed it. I smoke a bowl every day, as you know, and it feels good to know my advice worked for you.

Brewdude":nekht3kj said:
Got some of this in a while ago and have yet to try it. Guess I need to get a round tuit!

Cheers,

RR
Here ya go ...

tuit0002.jpg

I never smoked the blend, but the other evening at Park Lane/NY, I noticed they had a large tub (as well as some other OTC classics) up on the top shelf. I asked the owner if he ever sold those big tubs, he said occasionally. It looked like it has been there for a while.

I enjoy burley; but like JimInks, I prefer Latakia and VaPer baccy.....

That said, I thought this EGR a 'step above the rest' - PA and CH with 'character'.....

There are probably more blends like this out there that I've missed...Angler's Dream is another one I'm going to try........

Thanks for the comments - and I really can't say enough about what I've learned purusing and posting here on BoB....

I do like EGR but I have trouble with it at times, most likely due to smoking too fast and in too big of a bowl. I get hit by the burley mouth a little, which I describe as just a different feel than tongue bite but nonetheless causes me to have to pour out the rest of the bowl. I always come back to it though and will continue to.

Lincolnsbark":neefktmj said:
I do like EGR but I have trouble with it at times, most likely due to smoking too fast and in too big of a bowl.  I get hit by the burley mouth a little, which I describe as just a different feel than tongue bite but nonetheless causes me to have to pour out the rest of the bowl.  I always come back to it though and will continue to.
Try puffing slower in a smaller bowl. See if that works for you.