EGR- First time

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capt. Mike

Reaction score
I read lots of stuff about this tobacco and because I was a aro smoker from back in college I tried some out. My first bowl was in a meer bulldog and boy was that hot and I got bit also. But not one to give up I changed to a GBD poker a little better but close to the same results. So after a PM to JimInks he suggested a Savinelli, I didn't have one on the boat but di have a nice big Lorenzo and with a slowed down approach and sip I was able to enjoy the great flavor of this bacy. Nutty and fruit with a nice sweetness came through and NO bite. This stuff really needs a large bowl to ring out the flavors. It is a nice change of pace and a n easy smoke to enjoy, don't get in a hurry, sit back and enjoy a nice long smoke. Thanks Jim for the help.
Capt. Mike

It was my pleasure to help out a fellow pipe smoker. I'm very glad it worked out for you.:cheers: 

Blackhorse":hcxm56oz said:
Assuming that EGR is Sutliff's 'Edward G. Robinson'.
That's right, ya mug! Myeah!:D 

Here's the label for the upcoming release of the 1.5 oz tins, see. Dunno when it'll be on the market, but you'll see, see. Si? Myeah! :D 

JimInks":9nawamz1 said:
Blackhorse":9nawamz1 said:

Here's the label for the upcoming release of the 1.5 oz tins, see. Dunno when it'll be on the market, but you'll see, see. Si? Myeah! :D 

Great label! Besides the great photo, a nicely informative back label as well.

So...to the Cap't. and with no derogatory intent at all...

When writing up a favored flavor or candidate for best blend it helps me and I'm guessing a host of your other brothers here to know what blends you're talking about. Sutliff is a fine company I'm sure and lots of folks favor their products and all - but when I you tag a thread with just the initials of what has to be considered a minor blend like EGR and not presenting the brand or full name in the full post... the vast majority (VAST I tell you) of readers has no frickin' clue what you're talking about.

There's a chart somewhere that brother kyle, or someone, did up with a sh**load of acronyms and initials that it's seemingly cool to toss about. I had to go to the review site to the "E's" and go down the list til I found one with the second word starting in "G".

And, this is no official THANG. You can bandy initials around all you like. I even do it myself. But when Sutliff adds blends from classic gangsta actors like George Raft, Jimmy Cagney & Bogart to more modern guys like Pacino, De Niro & Brando (regardless of their pipe smoking histories) we'll know what's goin' on.

Anyway, thanks for the nice post, well stated and all that, glad you're a member here, valued part of the brotherhood, yadda yadda yadda.

Well Hoss, not being a part of the Washington establishment, I am always scratching my head over the shorthand used. I understand it is a time saver though.

Thing is... It throws me into such a tissy I think I might need an EKG.

Geoffrey - wocka, wocka, etc.

But you see...here's what happens...ya can't tell the players without a program!

TOBACCO:
--------------------------------------------------------------------

1792 - Samuel Gawith 1792 Flake (formerly Cob Flake)
5100 - McClelland 5100, a red VA blend
1Q - Lane's 1Q Bulk Aromatic Tobacco
ABF - Solani Aged Burley Flake
Aro - Referring to any aromatic tobacco blend
B&B - Cornell & Diehl Big 'n' Burley
BB - Gawith & Hoggarth Brown Bogie (not so much for shooting out of a Daisy-brand product)
BBBB - Dan Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend
BBF - Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake (not the acronym you find in Craigslist personals ads, no sir)
BCA - Lane's "BCA" - A vanilla Cavendish-based aromatic (go figure).
BCAQ - A mix of Lane's "1Q" and "BCA," incidentally.
BCF - Gawith & Hoggarth Bob's Chocolate Flake
BCP - Gawith & Hoggarth Bosun Cut Plug
BF - Samuel Gawith Braken Flake (or the friend you hate that your daughter texts constantly)
BFP - Cornell & Diehl Baileys Front Porch
BLB - MacBaren's Burley London Blend
BM - Rattray's Black Mallory (...do we really have to go there?)
C&D - Cornell & Diehl (brand)
Cav - Referring to any tobacco that has been treated Cavendish-style (not a sports team)
CBK - Hearth & Home Classic Burley Kake
CBR - Captain Black Royal
CH - Carter Hall, a drugstore blend by Middleton
DBE - Gawith & Hoggarth Dark Bird's Eye
DH - Dunhill (brand - also a pipe maker) (might be David Hasselhoff)
DLF - Dunhill Light Flake
DLNR - Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls
DSF - Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong Flake
EF - Erinmore Flake
EM - Erinmore Mixture
EMP - Dunhill Early Morning Pipe (also the Nebuchadnezzar's greatest threat)
ER - Cornell & Diehl Exhausted Rooster (also where you'll go if you eat the whole tin at once)
ERR - Edgeworth Ready Rubbed
F&T - Friborg and Treyer (brand)
FM - McClelland Frog Morton
FMOTB - McClelland Frog Morton On The Bayou
FMOTT - McClelland Frog Morton On The Town
FMATP - McClelland Frog Morton Across The Pond
FVF - Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake (...ironically, Swahili for "good luck finding any.")
GH - Gawith & Hoggarth Co. (brand)
GLP - G.L. Pease Tobacco (brand)
GG - Samuel Gawith Golden Glow (Virginia) (never with the last name "Allin," thank you)
HH - Hearth & Home tobacco blends by Russ Ouellette
HHBB - Hearth & Home Butternut Burley
HHLB - Hearth & Home Lakeland Brickle
HHVS - MacBaren Vintage Syrian
HB - Cornell & Diehl Haunted Bookshop
HFTH - Cornell & Diehl Home From The Hills
HOTW - Rattray's Hal o' the Wind (not "HOT Women." Sorry.)
HOW - House of Windsor
HV - Dan Hamborger Veermaster (terrible on a bun, though)
JKP - GL Pease Jackknife Plug
KY - Referring to Kentucky tobacco
LaP - Louisiana, or "true" Perique
Lat - Referring to "Latakia," [Cyp - Cyprian] or [Syr - Syrian] "spicing" tobacco
LB - Hearth & Home Larry's Blend
LBF - Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bulls Eye Flake
LGF - Reiner's Long Golden Flake
LNF - Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake
LTF - Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake
McB - Macbaren's Tobacco Co. (brand)
McC - McClellands Tobacco Co. (brand)
McCon - McConnell Tobacco (brand)
MD - Referring to Maryland tobacco (Trapper John's favorite)
MF - Rattray's Marlin Flake (also a rude Freudian reference)
MM965 - Dunhill My Mixture 965 (sometimes just referred to as 965)
MNF - MacBaren Navy Flake
MRF - McCranie Red Flake
MRR - McCranie Red Ribbon
MVF - Samuel Gawith's Medium Virginia Flake
NC - Dunhill Nightcap
ODF - Mac Baren's Old Dark Fired
OG - Rattray's Old Gowrie (what every 1990's rap song was referring to, obviously)
OGS - Orliks Golden Sliced
OJK - Old Joe Krantz, burley based blend by C&D
OTC - Over the Counter (known as "Drugstore Tobacco.")
PA - Prince Albert tobacco, a drugstore blend by Middleton
Per - Referring to "Perique," the special Louisiana "spicing" tobacco
PM - William P. Solomon Presbyterian Mixture (also what to if you want to contact a BoB member via private Message)
PS - Peter Stokkebye (brand)
PSLBF - Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bulls Eye Flake
PSBS - Peter Stokkebye Balkan Supreme
PSLNF - Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake
PSLTF - Peter Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake
P&W - Pipeworks & Wilke, a tobacco blender in Vermont run by Carole Burns
RRR - Rattray's Red Rapparee (sometimes simply "RR")
SG - Samuel Gawith Co. (English tobacco brand)
SJF - Samuel Gawith St. James Flake
SL - Samuel Gawith Squadron Leader
SLF - JF Germain Special Latakia Flake
SMM - Dunhill Standard Mixture Medium
SOTE - Cornell & Diehl Star Of The East
SWR - Sir Walter Raleigh (drugstore brand)
SXT - GL Pease Sextant (not really an acronym yet, wondering if "SEX" is better Embarassed )
US - GL Pease Union Square
VA(s) - Referring to "Virginias" (tobacco varietal)
VaPer(s) - Referring to a Virginia and Perique tobacco mixture - not referring to a polite way of Victorian women passing gas (as in, "...a case of the ______").
WBS - Wessex Burley Slice

PIPES:
--------------------------------------------------------------

BC - Butz-Choquin pipe manufacturer
BD - Bulldog, or "bully" styles of pipes
CAO - A brand of meerschaum pipes
Cav - Cavalier pipes, usually sporting a drill-through a shank with a cap on the end.
DH - Sometimes referred to as a "Dunnie," Dunhill pipes, England
FD - Ferndown brand of pipes
HCA - Hans Christian Anderson, a line of Stanwell pipes, which included a churchwarden AND a shorter stem
IMP - A brand of Turkish, block meerschaum pipe
KBB - Kaufman Brothers and Bondy, later, makers of Kaywoodie and Yello-Bole pipes
K(&)P - See "Pete" below, or Peterson
KW - Kaywoodie, American pipe manufacturer
LHS - Pipes made by Ludwig and Hugo Stern. Marketed under the named LHS, Sterncrest or Purex
MM - Missouri Meerschaum, the oldest and foremost corncob pipe manufacturer!
NAC - North American Carvers (pipe makers)
Pete - Peterson's of Dublin pipes (Ireland)
PH - Pipes made by Peter Heeschen
RD - Pipes made by Rad Davis (aka "A Rad") - also a frequenting BoB'er!
Sav - Savinelli pipes, Italy
SMS - A brand of Turkish meerschaum pipes
TH - Todd Harris or "Harris" pipes

OTHER BoB MISCELLANY:
------------------------------------------------

B&M - Brick and Mortar, i.e. an actual tobacco store, or "mom & pop" store, any other than an online shop.
BoB - That's us! The Brothers of Briar! You knew that already, though, didn't you?
DGT - Delayed Gratification Technique - to intentionally delay re-lighting your pipe and tobacco to create a new flavor experience.
HO - "High Octane." Referring to nicotine content of the strongest of strong tobaccos.
LAD - Lighter Acquisition Disorder: why have one when you can have 100?
PAD - Pipe Acquisition Disorder: A serious disorder affecting many BoB members. Highly contagious.
TAD - Tobacco Acquisition Disorder: Another serious disorder affecting many BoB members. Also contagious
TGD/PGD - Tobacco/Pipe GIVING Disorder: Evil doers that shamefully gift things, sometimes quite randomly, to other BoB members. Called "bombing," it's the neatest war on the plan

EGR.. Yeah.  :scratch: 

Yet somehow I knew exactly what blend Capt. Mike was referring to once JimInks replied to his post. No program needed. ;)

Blackhorse,
How does one make an ADDITION to either of these lists? You have FM listed as Frog Morton, fine but no McC's FM 2000 which is Fragrant Mature 20000 NOT Frog Morton 20000 and there is NO listing for Charatans? Wouldn't CH work for them? Inquiring minds just want to know :twisted: 

DrT999":w8gl6dih said:
JimInks":w8gl6dih said:
Blackhorse":w8gl6dih said:

Great label!  Besides the great photo, a nicely informative back label as well.
Thank you. I wrote the tin description.

Ok guys the next time I post I will not try and not confuse the masses and use as much info as possible.

Capt. Mike":ax9zfpgx said:
Ok guys the next time I post I will not try and not confuse the masses and use as much info as possible.
And throw in a dancing girl or two, too!! :D 

What Blackhorse is saying is that the 411 in the op was awol. But JimInks made everything A-OK. :lol!:

The idea reminds me a bit of DPB -- Doctor Preston Bradley.  OK, Iwan Ries leaves out the middle name.  It a Burley/Oriental/Aromatic to let one get an English into polite company.  I smoked it once in a while about 20 years ago. Interesting idea.

Burley, Virginia, Latakia, Perique, Oriental

Dr. Bradley