Enjoying my new Kirsten Pipe!

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay_Williams

Reaction score
Recently got a smoking deal from the Kirsten Pipe Company, it's a designer with a bulldog bowl and black stem, and of course if you know me it's a 3/4's bent pipe : )

anyone else into these dandy little things?

-Jay

I've never tried one. How does it compare to a briar pipe, and do you have any pics?

They look very interesting.... How do they smoke? is the cleaning as easy as they advertise?

well the bulldog bowl is made from italian briar which is great, cleaning it does take a little more time, they sell special tools to clean it with...as far as smoking it goes, it makes the tobacco feel "cleaner" i guess you can say? it traps a lot of the moister and heat that gives you tongue bite.

it's a pretty hip pipe i must say

cool, jay! i've been curious to know more about these pipes. the only reason i didn't put more effort into getting one, was i suspected they required a more intricate cleaning process than your average briar pipe (which seems to be the case from what you say). seems like the size is just right to carry it around in your mouth. enjoy your pipe. thanks for sharing! regards, mauricio

Thanks for the info Jay. Its probably worth getting one...

yeah cleaning it is really not so bad, it's pretty easy to maintain...if you can get one for under 70 bucks i'd say go for it to try it out...it's a really interesting pipe

i got mine for 35, it's a little older, this pic is from before i replaced the stem and put a bulldog bowl on it

46097010.jpg

you got a bent one, very nice! excellent purchase! yes... i've seen them go anywhere from 40s to 80s on ebay. you got a good deal!
thanks for the photo!

I own & smoke Kirstens rather regularly, have for decades. I've been meaning to take a bunch of pix of my collection, especially my numerous custom made bowls that really make them much better smokers.

If you're new to Kirstens and/or looking to try one, please allow me to add my totally biased opinion. Almost all the ones for sale on eBay are the small or medium sized stems (the aluminum body), and I fear many have been turned off to them by trying the smaller stems and bowls. Try to find a large stem, preferably the Lancer, and a large or X-large bowl if you can.

Natch

Very interesting. Reminds me of something from a 1930s futuristic movie. I'd love to try one.

How much cooler are Kirstens than briar?

I'm thinking of getting one because I'm an outside smoker and the summer heat REALLY makes a difference!

I have been intrigued by the Kirstens for awhile now. I own a Kaywoodie Filter and Filter Plus. The regular filter model is mostly for looks; the ceramic filter is just about shot. The filter plus is one of my go to pipes and I was lucky to get it with two bowls. One lightly smoked and the other is unused.

Hi,

I have to say, I am a HUGE fan of Kirsten's. I own four of 'em two straight's and two bent's. A.)Cleaning them is nowhere near as much of a P.I.T.A. as a "regular" full briar. B.)The mere fact that you can dump out the dottle by simply pulling out the little chamber for it makes the Kirsten superior to the Falcon in my eyes., C.)You do NOT need to let the pipe rest. You can smoke a Kirsten all day long, day after day. D.)The ability to quickly change bowls makes it very unique, like the Falcon's, and lastly D.)It's always a conversation piece. People always ask me what kind of pipe I'm smoking :)

Then again, living in the Metro Seattle area, and having the two Kirsten shops at my disposal does make life substantially easy. Rick, the owner is also a very nice guy.

My $.02,

-Laurence

In the past I had several large bent Kirstens, and they were excellent performers. I'd still have them if not for a fire in 1995 that wiped out both my pipes and tobacco. Rebuilding from the ashes, I focused on cobs, but would still get a Kirsten if my interests ran to metal.