Enough with the winter.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
>>a woman truly laughing, fully comfortable and at ease, is one of the most beautiful things ever<<

The movie Carnage with Jodie Foster and Kate Winslet has a hilarious scene in which the girls turn the tables on the boys (Christoph Waltz and John Reilly (?) and just crack up. Worth watching, for a take on gender wars, which is what the movie is about. Both of the female leads have scenes in which they absolutely, spectacularly lose it.

-- Gender and work. Work styles and preferences are actually a function of personality. (Is the scial aspect of work important to you? Or not? Do you like to work independently? Or in a team?) The thing is, work styles aren't evenly distributed through the population. So women and men tend to gravitate toward certain kinds of jobs. It doesn't mean that a guy couldn't teach first graders or that a woman couldn't be a down and dirty prosecuting atty. But you won't find many guys in first grade classrooms etcetrc.)

-- And it's been a weird winter here in New England. My snow plow guy has only been here three times, but next week the jet stream will bring temps in the teens and some snow our way. Some areas might see zero at night. But where I live, the days are now getting about a minute longer, so I'm looking forward to beer and a burger on the deck asap. Oh, yes, a veggie, too ;)

Ok, back to the biznz:

I improvised this one, but luckily started making notes at some point because I will still probably want to make this one a pair. Luckily the yarn is still sold. It's 100% Icelandic wool.

1531n5f.jpg

23mu5gi.jpg

Worked really well! As I had my fingers comfortably cradled between the pipe and the mitten, there was no cold fingers. The day is considerably warmer though, but I still can tell it's a big dfference. I will make one for the left hand too for more comfortable pipe/czech tool handling.

All in all, a success! :cheers: Thank you guys for good ideas. I would gladly share the pattern, but as it was made for my hand, it would be probably way too small for any of you. :p

(Oh, and the stannie was loaded with Solani ABF. Yum!)

Looks warm but affording a tenuous grip on your briar. Look for a pair of neoprene gloves and snip off the finger tips on thumb and forefinger. You can buy such gloves at a fly fishing shop, but they're expensive (high class specialty item, you know :roll: ). I think mine cost $2.99 @ Harbor Freight.

Kevin, actually the grip is good enough for me. I will be keeping my eyes open for a budget-friendly par of neoprene gloves anyway (I could do a pair or two, for different purposes) but I'm pretty happy with this one for pipe smoking as it still keeps the fingers that are "in the open" warm on the other side.

But right now? It isn't even cold but I'm smoking inside. This is heavenly. I figured every now and then wouldn't hurt too much. Hope you guys are happy. :twisted: