Enough with the winter.

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beetlejazz

Reaction score
-19 C (-2.2 F) outside. Makes me want to smoke fast, and smoking fast is effing stupid.

:x

If I smoke enough, will it speed up this global warming thing? (and this is not an invitation to Yak to lecture me how GW is a scam invented by banksters or something alike :cat: )

Spring, please.

I'm still waiting for winter here in Michigan. We usually have at least a foot of snow by Christmas. Last Saturday it was 54 F in Kalamazoo.

Eeek! Well perhaps the winter will catch you February. That happens at least here sometimes.

I don't generally dislike cold weather, not at all, but it makes smoking a pipe impossibly uncomfortable. If I was more the clencher than a holder, I could just sit in a warm sleeping bag with only a pipe sticking out. Hmmm...

We are just getting the first snow of the year here in southern England :D

I'll be working from home, and smoking a bowl or two :bounce:

We are not set up for snow here. Because snow is so rare, hardly anyone has winter tyres or snow chains, and so it is not worth trying to use the roads if you don't have to.

Yes, the first winter storm just arrived here last night. Even though there wasn't much snow, after 4 days of light to moderate rain, everything is pretty frozen right now. Despite that, the Uni will open at 10:00 :tongue: Hopefully things will be melted by then!

Beetle, I can understand that -19 is cold enough to discourage even the hardiest winter lover! May you soon warm up to at least -5!

50 F and wet here in balmy NC. I grew up in Chicago, and winters could be long there. In NC they call it winter but to me it's more like late Chicago fall. Not unusual to go out in shirtsleeves here. Spring and fall are delightful. Summer is the bugaboo. One can ignore humidity but not sweat pouring off one's face.

alfredo_buscatti":xavopfwo said:
50 F and wet here in balmy NC. I grew up in Chicago, and winters could be long there. In NC they call it winter but to me it's more like late Chicago fall. Not unusual to go out in shirtsleeves here. Spring and fall are delightful. Summer is the bugaboo. One can ignore humidity but not sweat pouring off one's face.
I don't know where in the Piedmont you are, but like I said, it's 31 with an inch of snow over ice here in WS! :rendeer:

Been around 39° here lately which is odd, it hits below freezing and they shut every thing down . Literally they close schools and gov buildings down , fraid people can't drive if it's 30 out. I hope for it to get colder so I can get a day off. :santa:

Where is that darned Global Warming when you really need it ?

Halfway around the world, in freaking Michigan !

Very undependable. :twisted:

:face:
WISE ASS

George Kaplan":3k3a37lb said:
I'm still waiting for winter here in Michigan. We usually have at least a foot of snow by Christmas. Last Saturday it was 54 F in Kalamazoo.
I hear you. Down my way, The Lake Erie Snow Belt has been pretty damn un-snowy.

I live for those snowy, icy, 10 degree/20mph wind kinda days. Last winter was a major disappointment, and this one's not looking much better.

I love cold weather, and I hate that I'm living in the warmest part of my country now. I kid you not, we had a sprinkling of snow today, not even enough to settle properly and the MET office issued a red alert snow warning. Where has all the manliness gone?

i.keenum":7umnslfi said:
Been around 39° here lately which is odd, it hits below freezing and they shut every thing down . Literally they close schools and gov buildings down , fraid people can't drive if it's 30 out. I hope for it to get colder so I can get a day off. :santa:
Same over here in Arkieland. Three snowflakes waft out of the sky and you'd think the nuclear attack siren went off! Damn near riots at WallyWorld over who gets that last of the milk eggs and toilet paper. People who have never eaten an omelet in their lives buy 9 dozen eggs, and toilet paper disappears from the shelves quickly.

When we first moved down here, my wife and I were puzzled at the need for toilet paper during snow and ice storms. My first thought, coming from the Great Lakes and a snow-belt area (where you always carried sand or cat litter or traction bars in the trunk to help you get out of the ditch or snow bank when you slid off the road) was that you would carefully unroll the TP under each tire for traction? :lol: Or that snow somehow caused a mass diarrhea outbreak? :affraid: But I think now that the perception is that if they're trapped in their Arkansas-Linear (a single-wide trailer) for the next six months, by god, their butts will be clean and happy? :cheers:

Natch

We got a little bit of snow on the roads where we are and can you adam and eve it, everything has ground to a halt, the morons in the village have panic purchased and the small shop here is pretty much empty and I'm not joking. People in this country have turned into seriously pathetic creatures, I absolutely hate winter with a passion and I hate snow, seriously naff'd off right now..

Still waiting for winter to actually hit in Chicago. 2 mild winters in a row? A guy could get used to this!

I don't mind winters down here.

Rarely will it get in the teens and very seldom in single digits. A cold snap rarely last more than a couple weeks and then it will be like today with the lows in the 30s and the highs in the mid 50s.

Summers suck.

George Kaplan":oi1mj1ac said:
We had eight or nine inches over here on the east side December 27th. Other than that nothing to speak of. It feels good to look outside and say to myself "Glad I don't have to go any place any more." Then a cup of coffee, insulated coveralls and the snow thrower. Chatting with the neighbors as we move snow. Neighbors are in their late 80's so do theirs too. But he's out their with the snow shovel! They made people a lot tougher back then! Me, I'm on blood pressure meds and chemo. Sux getting old!

Well thanks reminding me guys about the upside - as stiff as my smoking-hand feels now still 10 minutes after a smoke out there, I still count myself lucky for not needing to deal with much heat during summers. I'm absolutely incompatible with heat.

As we get snow every year it's really not much of a problem here, everyone's used to it and driving without winter tyres gets you fined for a good reason. Snow is good, it makes the days a bit less dark. And when the temperature drops to -20 or -30 (latter one being a more rare case, but still happens regularly), it only takes a few days to get used ot it. In the end all about dressing weather-appropriately. But this being my first pipe-smoking winter, I need to come up with a way to keep my hands - especially the pipe hand - warm. Hmmm.

I know I know, was whining pretty needlessly. But that's what weather is for, right? :lol:

Yes, definitely a mitten in one hand, but I really like feeling wether the bowl is heating up, and on what height. But you've got a point, it might be worth it just wear a glove anyway.