erinmore flake...first try

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

momus

Reaction score
Buying some cigars at a local chain cigar place and discovered the had erinmore flake for the lordly some of 15 dollars for under 2 oz. Never had it though before...so i grabbed it cuz it was there. Not bad. Im having a difficult time classifying it though.

momus":gg477o1w said:
Buying some cigars at a local chain cigar place and discovered the had erinmore flake for the lordly some of 15 dollars for under 2 oz. Never had it though before...so i grabbed it cuz it was there. Not bad. Im having a difficult time classifying it though.
Two words: Juicy Fruit :p Really though, Erinmore Flake is a good smoke. It has a fruity/citrusy flavor to me.

Its good stuff. I just think of it as mild Aero in flake form. Takes while to dry for me and I prefer it rubbed out.

Mixture = Juicy Fruit, Flake = straight VaBur. Stay with the Flake IMHO. I always have a tin on hand as it's one of the BETTER VaBurs out there !! :twisted: :twisted:

I still like the current Erinmore Flake a hell of a lot, the post Murray's stuff being actually better (gasp!).  

Here's the thing I grokked about Erinmore Flake that seems to evade some folks' classification:  it doesn't taste like it smells.   Now, those with no disconnect between the major parts of the human palate may disagree, but what we smell is different than what we taste, yet they are connected. Eat or drink your favorite consumable with a plugged nose. Half-enjoyment will soon follow.   I'm pretty convinced Erinmore's sole contribution, besides being a fascinating curiosity, is to confuse the pipe smoking world.

Erinmore Flake is what I've only been able to call a "scented" tobacco.   Wherein Lakeland Old-Granny-Panties and most aromatics are pretty heavily sauced in various juices, flavorings and olfactory burnables (not all of them enjoyable to the masses), Erinmore Flake stands nearly alone smelling like a stick of fruity gum and stopping there.   Don't like it, but dig the tobacco?   Let a fresh tin "gas out" or even leave it open for small periods of time, and the scent will all but disappear, leaving you with some pretty good flakeleaf to set ablaze.  

It's not an aromatic in that classic sense.   Those looking to get away from a sugar high would enjoy it, those into non-aros ought to give it a chance if they haven't.  

8)

Erinmore Flake gets a bad rap IMO. No, it's not FVF, nor should it be. It's good for what it is. I've noticed the Juicy Fruit topping more in Erinmore Mixture than the Flake, personally. That doesn't mean it's not there.

$15 for a tin of the stuff sounds a little steep if you ask me, though.

Kyle Weiss":of5w6ceh said:
I still like the current Erinmore Flake a hell of a lot, the post Murray's stuff being actually better (gasp!).  

Here's the thing I grokked about Erinmore Flake that seems to evade some folks' classification:  it doesn't taste like it smells.   Now, those with no disconnect between the major parts of the human palate may disagree, but what we smell is different than what we taste, yet they are connected.  Eat or drink your favorite consumable with a plugged nose.  Half-enjoyment will soon follow.   I'm pretty convinced Erinmore's sole contribution, besides being a fascinating curiosity, is to confuse the pipe smoking world.

Erinmore Flake is what I've only been able to call a "scented" tobacco.   Wherein Lakeland Old-Granny-Panties and most aromatics are pretty heavily sauced in various juices, flavorings and olfactory burnables (not all of them enjoyable to the masses), Erinmore Flake stands nearly alone smelling like a stick of fruity gum and stopping there.   Don't like it, but dig the tobacco?   Let a fresh tin "gas out" or even leave it open for small periods of time, and the scent will all but disappear, leaving you with some pretty good flakeleaf to set ablaze.  

It's not an aromatic in that classic sense.   Those looking to get away from a sugar high would enjoy it, those into non-aros ought to give it a chance if they haven't.  

8)
I've smoked a lot of Erinmore Flake, 30+ years ago. The taste and smell were similar at that stage. One could taste what you were smelling, sweet smokers bliss.

Then 3 years ago I found the opportunity to buy it again, still packed in the same familiar tin. But what a dissappointment!! The smell was there, yes! But it did not taste the same anymore. It was just another, ordinary tobacco. High quality tobacco but bland in comparison with what it used to be.

SpeedyPete":qzrh9sy9 said:
Kyle Weiss":qzrh9sy9 said:

Here's the thing I grokked about Erinmore Flake that seems to evade some folks' classification:  it doesn't taste like it smells.   Now, those with no disconnect between the major parts of the human palate may disagree, but what we smell is different than what we taste, yet they are connected.  Eat or drink your favorite consumable with a plugged nose.  Half-enjoyment will soon follow.   I'm pretty convinced Erinmore's sole contribution, besides being a fascinating curiosity, is to confuse the pipe smoking world.

8)
I've smoked a lot of Erinmore Flake, 30+ years ago.  The taste and smell were similar at that stage.  One could taste what you were smelling, sweet smokers bliss.

Then 3 years ago I found the opportunity to buy it again, still packed in the same familiar tin. But what a dissappointment!!  The smell was there, yes!  But it did not taste the same anymore.  It was just another, ordinary tobacco.  High quality tobacco but bland in comparison with what it used to be.
Haven't found many things to be " ... what they used to be" but that's life !! :twisted: Enjoy things for what they ARE NOW, and let memories be just that, memories  :twisted: :twisted: The Flake is a nice tastey vaBur that does not taste like Juicy Fruit IMHO :twisted: :twisted:

I just cracked a tin of Erinmore Flake and it smelled great and tasted even better.
Didn't really get much of a fruity flavor but, the Virgina's were sweet and the burley nutty and combined very well together for a smooth full flavored smoke. Gona have to get some more! ;)

Cartaphilus":npwg7tf0 said:
I just cracked a tin of Erinmore Flake and it smelled great and tasted even better.
Didn't really get much of a fruity flavor but, the Virgina's were sweet and the burley nutty and combined very well together for a smooth full flavored smoke. Gona have to get some more! ;)
...Sounds like Ron has found a baccy to replace his Escudo....!

Stick":rilrgfe9 said:
Cartaphilus":rilrgfe9 said:
...Sounds like Ron has found a baccy to replace his Escudo....!
Not likely, I like it but, nothing will ever replace my first love

taharris":lck2yuzb said:
Ron,

I never would have pegged you as the fruity type!

:lol: 8) :lol: 8) :lol: 8) :lol:
Yeah, yeah, yeah, there's always a smart ass in the group

Cartaphilus":4qovzdhb said:
Virgina's were sweet and the burley nutty
This reads like a John Denver lyric but is also a compelling argument for this tobacco for me.

taharris":e1em8ixt said:
Ron,

He didn't smoke the Mixture which IS fruity, he smoked the FLAKE which is just a straight VaBur !! You guys !! :twisted: :twisted:

deathmetal":pgpgngfq said:
Cartaphilus":pgpgngfq said:
Virgina's were sweet and the burley nutty
This reads like a John Denver lyric but is also a compelling argument for this tobacco for me.
I like John Denver and also wish I had his money. ;)

monbla256":qdc1ghcc said:
taharris":qdc1ghcc said:
Ron,

He didn't smoke the Mixture which IS fruity, he smoked the FLAKE which is just a straight VaBur !! You guys !! :twisted: :twisted:
Yeah, And I keep reading reviews that it's strong, where the hell does that come from?
Heck, Dunhill Flake is stronger then this.

I recently picked up a couple of tins of the flake. I used to smoke this one a lot in the '70s but drifted off to explore other blends and left it behind. I never got the juicy fruit gum reference personally. Anyway I found the new version to be darn reminiscent of the old, and maybe actually a little better than I remember it to be. I'm quite happily enjoying Erinmore Flake again and will definitely be ordering more. It seems to like my old Peterson Donegal Rocky a lot so I suppose it's found a home too.