erinmore flake...first try

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I put a post up about my experiences of Erinmore Flake before?

My mum recently shared with my that it was the choice baccy of 'Pa', her father. I have vivid memories of him smoking a pipe and even as a youngster enjoyed the smell. I found it to be incredibly comforting to be around Pa when I was a nipper.

Armed with this new found info I decided to grab a tin, took it home and then read some reviews (back to front I know). I have to say I've never really got the whole juicy fruit thing, just a really satisfying and easy smoke. Although it doesn't suddenly whisk me back to those halcyon days with Pa, it does somehow help me to closer to him. For these reasons I'll always have a tin on the go...

I haven't smoked Erinmore in many years, and it just so happens that on my trip to North Carolina I stopped in at JR Cigars and picked up a tin of flake. I'm letting it dry out presently as it's very moist. From the scent and nice dark flake I'm gonna love it. Like I need more tobacco!!! :D

I agree with Monbla, it is one of the Vabur's I really like. And like Stick said, just a really satisfying and easy smoke. I can't understand why this baccy gets such bad reviews. It doesn't deserve it.

Had a few bowls of the Flake yesterday, and while I enjoyed it, I couldn't say that it would become a favorite in my rotation. The quality of leaf looks to be exceptional, the aroma out of the tin delightful, but it was just lacking in something for my palate. I certainly wouldn't degrade it in any way, just not a favorite and I'll enjoy the rest of the tin. I do know one very prominent tobacconist that uses this as a condiment tobacco in their blending recipes and I think I may do that with some of this fine flake tobacco.

docwatson":u1nvxmzu said:
Had a few bowls of the Flake yesterday, and while I enjoyed it, I couldn't say that it would become a favorite in my rotation. The quality of leaf looks to be exceptional, the aroma out of the tin delightful, but it was just lacking in something for my palate. I certainly wouldn't degrade it in any way, just not a favorite and I'll enjoy the rest of the tin. I do know one very prominent tobacconist that uses this as a condiment tobacco in their blending recipes and I think I may do that with some of this fine flake tobacco.
Doc, My first bowl in a cob was very good but, when I smoked it out of one of my briers it did become rather ho hum and lacking something as you stated. I think I'll go back to the cob to try and recapture what I first tasted in it. Still I think it's a fairly good smoke, just takes the right pipe to bring out it's true flavor.
As time goes on I find many tobaccos like this that need the right pipe to enjoy fully, I don't know if it's just me or I just been smoking Escudo to damn long. ;)

That's interesting Ron, I think I'll try the same method, change pipes sounds like a good remedy for all tobaccos. BTW, I've never had a bad bowl of tobacco in a cob.

docwatson":c353ue6b said:
That's interesting Ron, I think I'll try the same method, change pipes sounds like a good remedy for all tobaccos. BTW, I've never had a bad bowl of tobacco in a cob.
I have to say, I've had my share of poor smokes in a cob but, it's seems if it smokes poorly in a briar it smokes well in a cob or vise versa.