Escudo noob

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteelyJ

Reaction score
Had my first bowl of Escudo this morning and found it went well with some really dark, rich espresso. The coins are different... And I read around to see how best to pack them.
I decided to try the cube cut method, so I let a medallion sit out for 20-30 minutes and then cut it up. It filled my bowl nicely, and I packed a little loose since I know it expands. It smoked wonderfully...... Whenever I felt like it was getting close to a relight a small pack and puff brought it back to life perfectly. I found the cube cut method to work very well, although it's a little bit more time than just folding and stuffing.

Any other Escudo lovers here? Or lovers of other coin tabaccos? How do you prefer to prepare/pack it?

I smoke a fair amount of coin tobacco, mostly in the form of Luxury Bullseye, Mac Baren roll cake and lately Heinrich Curly. Each of these are a bit different. For instance, the Mac B roll cakes are not as dense so they smoke great simply folded over and inserted into the bowl with one coin (they're small) rubbed out on top for kindling.

LBF is kind of shreddy, and it has a Cavendish core. So I like to lightly break the coins apart and pack the tobacco loosely, chunky broken flake style. Once again a bit of well rubbed out tobacco and small bits on top to get a good char going.

Curly is a small dense coin, so like coins cut from a rope, I mostly rub these out fully and smoke them like a ribbon cut blend.

I've skipped it due to the reported nicotine punch.

Lots of fans though.

Escudo is the one VaPer I really enjoy. I'm a bit of a neanderthal when it comes to medallions and flakes. I sort of pinch them and twist a bit as I'm packing. I sometimes go for a full rub or cube it up, and clearly that makes for a different smoke. I'm just typically too lazy to go to those lengths.
Mike.

An old favorite of mine, but as I haven't had a bowl for probably a year or two, now I'll have to crack a tin.  Damn you!  I already have too many tins open that I need to finish first. :lol:

As I prefer my tobacco rather dry, they fold and crack into chunketts quite easily.

Natch

I'm lucky enough to have found a tin of Cope's Escudo on e-bay a few Months ago, it was dry when I opened it but it rehydrated very well so it's now jarred and I take out a coin every now and then.

I even had a bowl tonight as I'm off work for four weeks on holiday.

Best smoke I've had I must say, only a few bowls left but now I'm going to keep for special occasions.

I don't dry it, I just rub it out, stuff it and smoke it.
Easy, Peasey, Japanessey! ;)

As a matter of preference I preferred the Davidoff Medallions to Escudo. But Escudo is great stuff. Davidoff has the Cavendish core also I believe. Perhaps I like that. I'm going to have the chance to try Dunhill's DeLuxe Navy rolls and the Stokkebye product for the first time soon. We'll see. Coins are fun though.

I really enjoy Escudo. I usually just fold and stuff several coins, but next time I will rub out.

Escudo would probably be my desert-island tobacco. Been smoking it since the mid-90s. I rub it out.

Next couple bowls I will try the rub it out and the fold and stuff method. It seems too much to me to sit down with scissors and cube cut it, although it DID smoke wonderfully.

It's a very good tobacco. Any VaPers even come close?

WandererOfWeirdPaths":cxc1n4s3 said:
Nope! Not even. ;)

Well, Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls come in a close second but, that can be debatable.

WandererOfWeirdPaths":lw06y186 said:
Next couple bowls I will try the rub it out and the fold and stuff method. It seems too much to me to sit down with scissors and cube cut it, although it DID smoke wonderfully.

I'm still not persuaded that Dunhill Navy Rolls isn't Escudo under a different name. It's certainly the closest to Escudo in presentation and overall character. But Escudo is cheaper.

Solani 633 or SG St. James Flake are also excellent choices that approach Escudo in my estimation.

DireWolf":gklfa2yq said:
I've skipped it due to the reported nicotine punch.

Lots of fans though.
Forgot to comment on this earlier.

I've not found Escudo to be unduly high in nic, and I'm particularly susceptible to this and thus generally avoid blends that wind me up.

JMHO

Cheers,

RR

Escudo is just another name for VaPer.

I do not own a tobacco eraser so I can't rub out my baccy.

I usually only hassle a flake or coin, sort of roll it into a little plug and then add a bit of loose "tinder" on top to make lighting easier.

But, to each his own as my friend Ron would say.

Escudo is my favorite tobacco to date. It is the most forgiving when it comes to bad packing as well as tongue bite.

I generally rub the coins out but I have folded them and loaded my pipes as well. I prefer to rub them out though.

I don't have an issue with nicotine so I don't consider this strong.

The only tobacco I've had that I rated higher was 3 Nuns, back in 2001.