Evening thoughts over a pipe and Sake'

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ozark Wizard

Reaction score
Thoroughly unprepared, we take the step into the afternoon of life. Worse still, we take this step with the false presupposition that our truths and our ideals will serve us as hitherto. But we cannot live the afternoon of life according to the program of life’s morning, for what was great in the morning will be little at evening and what in the morning was true, at evening will have become a lie. What if I should discover that the poorest of the beggars and the most impudent of offenders are all within me; and that I stand in need of the alms of my own kindness, that I, myself, am the enemy who must be loved -- what then? Somewhere, right at the bottom of one’s own being, one generally does know where one should go and what one should do. But there are times when the clown we call “I” behaves in such a distracting fashion that the inner voice cannot make its presence felt..........

The need is great but the balm is in such short supply and almost impossible to find. :cry:

AJ

Ozark Wizard":fnf142wi said:
Thoroughly unprepared, we take the step into the afternoon of life. Worse still, we take this step with the false presupposition that our truths and our ideals will serve us as hitherto. But we cannot live the afternoon of life according to the program of life’s morning, for what was great in the morning will be little at evening and what in the morning was true, at evening will have become a lie. What if I should discover that the poorest of the beggars and the most impudent of offenders are all within me; and that I stand in need of the alms of my own kindness, that I, myself, am the enemy who must be loved -- what then? Somewhere, right at the bottom of one’s own being, one generally does know where one should go and what one should do. But there are times when the clown we call “I” behaves in such a distracting fashion that the inner voice cannot make its presence felt..........
I remember having ramblings like this but it was usually after smoking Lady 'M' you know, those funny little green mentholated Egyptian cigarettes back in the '60s. :twisted: :twisted:

"Two gin-scented tears trickled down the sides of his nose. But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother."

(George Orwell: Nineteen Eighty-four)

"Man, the creature who knows he must die, who has dreams larger than his destiny, who is forever working a confidence trick on himself, needs an ally.  Mine has been tobacco."
                        -John Boynton Priestley

OR

"We have met the enemy and he is us"
                        -Pogo

Liked what you wrote Wiz.  Not a bad thing to wander into the deeper end of the pool from time to time.  :afro:

tend to swim in the deep end, otherwise, why have the scuba?

Was invited to speak at a local church, and went "unprepared". That means they had no idea of what I was going to speak about.

(neither did I, but shhhhhh)

At the end, we were all leaving, and an elder came up to me and said I think too much........

I think too much.. Out of the mouth of a thirty-something year old 'elder'...

I was kind, and waited to laugh after I was clear of the parking lot....

"It has too many notes, cut a few and it'll be perfect."

Emperor Franz Joseph

"I was kind, and waited to laugh after I was clear of the parking lot...."

:lol!: I'm fairly certain I would not have been able to do this.

Ozark Wizard":ph73ygun said:
 ...an elder came up to me and said I think too much...
Thinking, in my experience, is frowned on in most ecclesiastical settings. Ask ol' Bob Ingersoll.  ;)

Richard Burley":1ozcm0e9 said:
Ozark Wizard":1ozcm0e9 said:
Thinking, in my experience, is frowned on in most ecclesiastical settings. Ask ol' Bob Ingersoll.  ;)
Where's the other settings where all this thinking is going on? D.C.?

eklektos44":o6nmcwd4 said:
Richard Burley":o6nmcwd4 said:
Ozark Wizard":o6nmcwd4 said:
Our bright and shining universities, of course! Citadels of the intellect and free inquiry. No...wait a minute. This is 2015. Dunno. If you should find such a setting, tell them to harden their perimeter.

Richard Burley":sm0q7773 said:
eklektos44":sm0q7773 said:
Richard Burley":sm0q7773 said:
Ozark Wizard":sm0q7773 said:
Our bright and shining universities, of course! Citadels of the intellect and free inquiry. No...wait a minute. This is 2015. Dunno. If you should find such a setting, tell them to harden their perimeter.  
In my experience ignorance and stupidity are without boundaries. ;)

Dunno if that OP was more Zen, or Taoist, or what. But I think I'm gonna try me some straight perique one of these days. O Z, how do you take your Sake'? 98.6 like Bond?

Ozark Wizard":1fa1s8wt said:

Very deep Ozzy. Very deep indeed. Very existential.

:scratch:

Cheers,

RR

JustPlainBill":h24u8xtg said:
Dunno if that OP was more Zen, or Taoist, or what. But I think I'm gonna try me some straight perique one of these days.  O Z, how do you take your Sake'?  98.6 like Bond?
Got me a nifty little black jug of something with Japanese characters all over it. Whatever it is, it's smooth, and goes well with the salmon rolls and Uni, fried shrimp and quail eggs.

Oh, and it really did wonderful things to the flavor of the Perique