Ever REALLY Meet A Celebrity?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dock

Reaction score
My stupid "stay thirsty" pic got me thinking that I have met a few celebrities in my life...

George Burns: Met him at Caesar's in Atlantic City and got an autograph. I asked him for a cigar with his famous GB band but he had stopped during the very last years of his life. He was a great dude!

Bob Dole: Also met him in Atlantic City while he was on the boardwalk lookin' for votes for his presidential campaign. He signed his autograph on the only piece of paper I had with me, a $20.00 bill! :)

Dwight Evans: The famous Red Sox right fielder. I recently met him by pure chance at Center Auto Wrecking where he was filming a local TV spot for a trial lawer. He was the consumate gentleman. A real man's man.

Luis Tiant: Famous Sox pitcher. I Met him at his "El Tianti" cuban sandwitch stand outside of Fenway park and had him sign my backpack. We talked a bit about cigars. A nice and down to earth guy.

Johnny Pesky: The Legend himself! Johnny wanders the grandstands during many Red Sox games signing autographs and taking pics with fans. I was sitting on an aise seat when ge came through. I shook hands with him and he squeezed so hard he almost left a mark. He's a very strong dude for his age!

Tony Stewart: The Nascar Driver and owner. I met him while visting a family friend, fellow driver Kenny Schrader while both were racing dirt modifieds up in Lebanon Valley NY. Tony's about 5' tall and his ego stands at just over 7". He loves his beer and hot girls. He swears like a sailor and is naturaly funny. I had him sign my #20 baseball hat (he's now #14) with his nickname, 'Smoke". He really loved that and signs his name that way all the time now. I also met ex Nascar Driver Dave Blaney and NBC Nascar reporter Matt Yocum that same night.

Anyone else here ever meet a celebrity?Any funny stories about them?

About 10 years ago I met Jack Roush at a truckstop outside of Atlanta.. Stopped for a cup of coffee.. Set down by this old dude in a funny hat. Proceeded to have a wonderful conversation about everything but trucking and NASCAR. Got home the next day, went over to the In-Laws and they were watching NASCAR .. there set the old dude in the funny hat..

"HOLY CRAP!! I HAD COFFEE WITH HIM YESTERDAY!!!!" Nobody believed me..

I cant help but think Jack thought I was being a wonderful sport of not talking racing with him.. I still chuckle about that.

I met "Spiderman Goodwin" at a sports show,he was the man who climbed the Sears Tower
in Chicago.The Chicago Fire Department tried to knock him off the building with fire hoses
because he was tresspassing,he would have been killed if they succeeded.Mayor Daley doesn't
like smartasses climbing up his buildings for publicity stunts. :shock:
I also met "Little Oscar",a midget who drove around in the Wienermobile hyping Oscar Meyer
hot dogs.He gave me a wiener whistle,little hot dog shaped whistle. :lol:

Winslow :sunny:

Shook hands with Prime Minister Eliott Trudeau while he was on a campaign trail but would have preferred to meet Dwight Evans and Johnny Pesky and Luis Tiant...

I have met Jennifer Farner and Ben Afleck a few times at the park my kids go to in Cambridge, Ma. (they spent a couple summers in Cambridge over the past five years and would bring their daugter)

I used to be an intern at abc news nightline when in college, so I met all the big abc news people ( Ted koppel, David Brinkley, Etc)

Politicians: I have shook hands with Ronald Reagan, George Bush 1, and Dan Quayle in the 80's and early 90's. A wealthy friend (his dad, really) got me to them. I met Bush 2 when he spoke in Winston-Salem several years ago when the same friend got us backstage where the "contributors" got a meet-n-greet. Each meeting was very brief. I've met a host of others throughout the years through the same friend.

Hollywood: I worked as a security/body guard on film sets for a bit in L.A. I met Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, Dudley Moore, Christian Slater, Marisa Tomei, and Sean Young, among others. Every single one of them was very cordial and nice to me, although Midler seemed to be a real pain to her crew/staff/ make-up team. Man, we ate good on those film sets.

Basketball: I have played against some of the best players in the world, including Michael Jordan (pick up games in summer college camp - will have to find pic and post it sometime), Shaquille O'Neal, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Magic Johnson, Charles Oakley, Christian Laettner, Kiki Vaneweghe, and many, many more recognizable names throughout my college playing days.

Just walking around Westwood by the UCLA campus I met Woody Harrelson and Jack Palance. I remember Woody had on a t-shirt that said "Bush" but the "S" was a swastika. He told me the exact same words Christian Slater told me earlier that year, "Damn, you're tall."

Palance got out of his pick-up truck and ordered a burger from a local stand. It was wild. He spoke with us for several minutes. He looked like he was almost 100 even in 1993. I told him I enjoyed his performance in City Slickers. He said he was going to do another one. I said, "But you died in the first one." He said, "You'll see!" and walked back to his truck. Sure enough, he shot City Slickers II.

Not like I hung out with any of them, but I did meet them all, ever so briefly.

Me & Bobby
me_n_b10.jpg

My mother's an established (but strictly midlist) science fiction & fantasy author; consquently I've met and dined/hung out with some big authorial names within the genre. Most just to shake hands or exchange a few words, but all quite nice.

I had dinner with Terry Pratchett once... wonderful and gracious fellow.

Those of you Civil War buffs may appreciate this one: I've spent lots of time with Harry Turtledove. Our families went to Knotts Berry Farm together.

My father was in the music recording industry for over 30 years. If you can consider recording artists celebrities then I've met more than I can remember.

Duane Allman
Little Richard
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Jimmy Buffett
Bob Seger
Leon Russell
Willie Nelson
Bob Dylan
Hank Jr.
Charlie Daniels
The Hagar Twins
Rossington Collins Band
George Jones
Alabama
Gus Hardin
Gatlin Brothers
Oak Ridge Boys
Tammy Wynette
Boz Scaggs
Rolling Stones
Percy Sledge
Dr. Hook
Levon Helm
Eagles
Blackfoot
Tony Joe White
Commodores
KISS
Sawyer Brown
Johnny Cash
Loretta Lynn
Jerry Reed
Roy Clark
Julian Lennon
Dire Straits

I know there's a bunch more that I can't remember due to the lifestyle I was leading during some of those years. My parents would have an annual Christmas party for a lot of the recording industry people at our house and you never knew who would show up. It was always a big jam session with great music.

TallSmoke":agpoij79 said:
Politicians: I have shook hands with Ronald Reagan, George Bush 1, and Dan Quayle in the 80's and early 90's. A wealthy friend (his dad, really) got me to them. I met Bush 2 when he spoke in Winston-Salem several years ago when the same friend got us backstage where the "contributors" got a meet-n-greet. Each meeting was very brief. I've met a host of others throughout the years through the same friend.

Hollywood: I worked as a security/body guard on film sets for a bit in L.A. I met Bette Midler, Sarah Jessica Parker, Dudley Moore, Christian Slater, Marisa Tomei, and Sean Young, among others. Every single one of them was very cordial and nice to me, although Midler seemed to be a real pain to her crew/staff/ make-up team. Man, we ate good on those film sets.

Basketball: I have played against some of the best players in the world, including Michael Jordan (pick up games in summer college camp - will have to find pic and post it sometime), Shaquille O'Neal, Kareem Abdul Jabbar, Magic Johnson, Charles Oakley, Christian Laettner, Kiki Vaneweghe, and many, many more recognizable names throughout my college playing days.

Just walking around Westwood by the UCLA campus I met Woody Harrelson and Jack Palance. I remember Woody had on a t-shirt that said "Bush" but the "S" was a swastika. He told me the exact same words Christian Slater told me earlier that year, "Damn, you're tall."

Palance got out of his pick-up truck and ordered a burger from a local stand. It was wild. He spoke with us for several minutes. He looked like he was almost 100 even in 1993. I told him I enjoyed his performance in City Slickers. He said he was going to do another one. I said, "But you died in the first one." He said, "You'll see!" and walked back to his truck. Sure enough, he shot City Slickers II.

Not like I hung out with any of them, but I did meet them all, ever so briefly.
Holy hell! That's one helluva line-up! I envy you getting to shake hands with Regan. He's on my top five list for dead celebrities who I'd like to have lunch with. If you're curious, A.C. Doyle is #1.

dbreazeale":xjw5vrdg said:
My father was in the music recording industry for over 30 years. If you can consider recording artists celebrities then I've met more than I can remember.

Duane Allman
Little Richard
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Jimmy Buffett
Bob Seger
Leon Russell
Willie Nelson
Bob Dylan
Hank Jr.
Charlie Daniels
The Hagar Twins
Rossington Collins Band
George Jones
Alabama
Gus Hardin
Gatlin Brothers
Oak Ridge Boys
Tammy Wynette
Boz Scaggs
Rolling Stones
Percy Sledge
Dr. Hook
Levon Helm
Eagles
Blackfoot
Tony Joe White
Commodores
KISS
Sawyer Brown
Johnny Cash
Loretta Lynn
Jerry Reed
Roy Clark
Julian Lennon
Dire Straits

I know there's a bunch more that I can't remember due to the lifestyle I was leading during some of those years. My parents would have an annual Christmas party for a lot of the recording industry people at our house and you never knew who would show up. It was always a big jam session with great music.
.....And that's equally impressive. I'm singing "I got Stoned And I missed It" by Dr.Hook for the first time in years! In looking at this list I'm once again reminded that music was sooooo much better 30 years ago! Thanks for sharing.

Tons of celebrities!!! I have worked on several protection details where I met many politicians & Presidents (Reagan, Bush x2, Clinton, Haven't protected Obama....yet) Never mind the foreign dignitaries........ :roll:

As far as celebrities go the list is endless, David Bowie, The Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr, Elton John, Ted Nugent, Kiss, Blackie Lawless, Glenn Danzig, Mike Ness & Social Distortion, Harry Connick Jr., Mel Gibson, Danny Glover (DOUCHEBAG!!!!), Carol Alt (BITCH!!!), Jodie Foster (Class act, very nice), Keifer & Donald Sutherland, Ashley Judd (Gotta say, she was the nicest person every time I spoke to her. She always would talk about my job. Small talk, mostly. But she seemed interested), Biohazard, Jennifer Lopez & Marc Anthony, Motley Crue, Moby, Sandra Bullock (another sweetheart), Christopher Walken, Robert De Niro, Chevy Chase, Conan O'Brien, Eddie Murphy, Sarah Ferguson, Eric Clapton & Pierce Brosnan (on the same day), Michael Buble, Rush Limbaugh, Drew Carey, Glenn Close, 50 Cent, Snoop Dogg, Steven Segal (DAMN HE'S A BIG GUY, Never knew he was so tall), Chuck Norris (DAMN, HE'S SHORT), etc etc etc......... In over twenty one years "doing what I do", I'm sure I left out some!!!

Also tons of baseball & football players. I'm not really into sports so I really never paid them any mind.....

I once shook hands with James Brown.

When I was in 7th grade, two of my friends and I went downtown after school to a hotel in Chattanooga, where we met Jimmy Hoffa and got his autograph. We also got free Teamster pens. Our parents were pissed. :)

Jimmy was in town being prosecuted in Federal Court for jury tampering.

Rad

Those of you Civil War buffs may appreciate this one: I've spent lots of time with Harry Turtledove. Our families went to Knotts Berry Farm together.[/quote]

He is known for Alt history usually concerning the other outcomes of the Civil War but his degree is in Byzantine History. I can not think of two things that are more different in the history world!

Dover, I did get to work a Obama detail during the campaign, always like working with the Secret Service nice guys. As for other Politicians Ive meet Senators McConnell, Bunning, Voinovich, Brown, Dewine. Lots of Congressmen too many to remember or list but Boehner is in there. I meet Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton that was interesting.

Actors: Ive meet too many but Ron Jeremy does come to mind most people want to know about him. R Lee Ermey is another one want to know about, FYI coolest celebrity ive meet nice guy all that stuff on TV is for show. Dave Chapell is another one hes from dayton so I see him alot.

Athletes: Nearly every one that plays for cincinnati including the new cuban pitcher chapman and the Palmer Bros.

Musicians: To many to list but Eric Clapton comes to mind easily.

I met Buford Pusser (of Walking Tall fame) back in the early 1970's and got his autograph.

I met Buzz Aldrin and got his autograph. He is on this season's Dancing with the Stars and was an astronaut to the moon.

I met Peter Noone of Herman's Hermits while we were both checking into The Peabody in Memphis.

I met and shook hands with Bill Clinton, Hillary Clinton, Al Gore, and Tipper Gore when they all flew into town during Mr. Clinton's term as President. Our department was assising with security and I met them outside Air Force One and Two.

I met Charlie Daniels while our department was assisting with security at a concert.

I went to high school with a meteorologist who used to be on The Weather Channel. She is now on local TV in Tennessee.

I met Carl Perkins (of Blue Suede Shoes fame) several times. I have an autographed copy of his song "Matchbox" on the old Sun record label. The B side of the record is "Your True Love" and was sung by Beatle George Harrison at Mr. Perkins' funeral here in our town.

LtMac

I have had the good fortune of meeting some celebrities through the years. Most notable are:

Kevin Smith creator of the Askewniverse, and writer and director of Clerks, Mallrats, Chasing Amy etc.
Jason Mewes Kevin's muse and movie sidekick.
Jason Lee of my name is earl fame.
Various Cincinnati Bengals and Cincinnati Reds players past and present.
I've also met some of my musical heroes like Stephen Malkmus of Pavement and David Berman of the Silver Jews.

That_Paul_Guy":y6fubb56 said:
I've also met some of my musical heroes like Stephen Malkmus of Pavement and David Berman of the Silver Jews.
David Berman! Outstanding. I really dig his poetry.

My sister reminded me of a few other brushes with celebrity:

I went to a Mets game with Michael Marrona, better known as "Big Pete" from The Adventures of Pete & Pete (you 20 and 30-somethings remember that show, right?)

I met Rahm Emmanuel at my graduation last year... he shook hands with the back aisle as he was coming up, and my last name put me in the back aisle.

Chris Meloni (Eliot from SVU) was a friend of one of my officemates some years back and dropped by. Nice guy, and endlessly patient with the old office ladies fawning over him.

And I don't know if this counts as "met," but when I was three, I kicked Henry Kissinger, who was sitting in front of me at a Yale Law graduation ceremony. It was an accident, I swear!

Back in the outlaw days I met David Allen Coe.

Enos Slaughter. You baseball historians will remember Enos Slaughter. I played with him a celebrity golf tournament one time and it was the most fun I've ever had playing golf.