Expectations

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Surely if you feel that the pipe may well not perform to your standards, then you would be best to return it.

As regards the cob/artisan/workhorse pipes, I think cobs smoke better. Lighter, in at least some models, and fabulous draw. Artisan pipes aren't better but they are little works of art. Depending on the artisan, there are few small flaws as compared to, let's say, Peterson/Savinelli/Stanwell. That's what I read, not what I know as I own not a one artisan pipe. Still I would maintain that design and execution tends to be very well done in artisans. That I can see, even in photographs. Look at Le Nuvole pipes. Many/most push the classical form just enough to make them interesting. Some artisans push design quite a bit further and still work as functional smoking objects, which in the end, I think, pipes are meant to be; always. Jonas Rosengren's pipes on QB, are an example of this. See:

http://www.qualitybriar.com/pipes/jonas-rosengren/

It is the last pipe in his listing, the wine-colored pipe called "VOLLROS."

Artisan pipes don't smoke better but they look a lot better, especially on close inspection. (But then I would claim the taharris pipe about which I wrote an exception; but surely this could occur at any price.) To me the workhorse pipes above are boring. I can't feel good about spending $100.00 on one when I can get the same off ebay for $50.00. As estates, yes, but that has never bothered me.

But heh, who am I to talk, the king of buying cheap! But if I had the money! Oooh la la!

All of this is just my opinion. Pipes arouse a lot of feeling for those who regularly spend time smoking them. If your opinion is different, please do not feel that mine supercedes yours.

Kelhammer":ewboao6k said:
So today I received a pipe.  Kind of a gift to myself. It was made by a reputable artisan here is the US. It is also my first Morta. It was priced at just over $250. In looking it over I noticed what appears to be a break out of the wood where the draft hole enters the bottom of the main chamber.  It is not very deep but it is there. Should this be a concern to me? My gut says it porbably will not affect the life of the pipe. I guess I just would rather not have found such a thing on what I consider a higher end pipe. At least to me. I am a craftsman myself, I know how such a thing can happen even with sharp tools and good technique. What do you expect when you purchase a "good" pipe?  I am waiting to hear back from the maker. I had to let him know what I found.

I understand Morta is very difficult to work.
I suppose this would be difficult to photograph.
I'm interested in now it works out.

"Smoking in itself is selfish and overly-indulgent.  At lest from my point of view, but we only live once."

Agreed!

Best to you!

Martin

Ok this is a great guy. It has been explained to me by the maker that Morta is indeed very brittle and difficult to work. That the condition I see is a result of the drill breaking thru the brittle material. Knowing this does a lot for my point of view.  As a craftsman it is easy for me to understand and believe this explanation. He guarantees his pipes. I told him my concern is a wet smoking pipe.  He told me to smoke it, and if it's wet he will work with me to make it right. To make me happy.  I believe this guy will so I am going to smoke this thing, but not tonight. It's past my fun time for a work night. I am very impressed with this reply.

I kind of figured this would be the response you would get. Like I said, most of us pipe makers are easy going folks. Plus you guys are their livelihood, so they will do a lot to make you happy. I'm glad it worked out for you.

"I earned my money; if I wanna be "selfish and overly-indulgent," it's still a free country.   :twisted: 
Isn't there some guilty pleasure you spend too much on?"

Absolutely. Your God-given right and privilege!

Best,

I've never spent $400 for a pipe ... haven't even come close ... but, since I began smoking pipes 40+ years ago, some of the pipes I bought in the early days would likely command that sort of price if bought new today ...

Been lucky too in adding pipes to my assortment inthat I've done well in the "estate' market ... sorta like buying a used car ... I am always on the lookout for a nice pipe at the right price ... were I in a position of need, I'd probably make more mistakes, but having about two dozen pipes, I can afford to pass on anything that doesn't fit my criteria ... earlier today for example, I saw a pipe I rather liked and might have bought, but the current owner wanted about double what I was willing to pay since I felt it would need a fair amount of restoration ... he declined my offer, I wished him well and walked away ... it would have made a nice addition to my collection, but c'est la vie ...

Me too have never spent more than $100 on a pipe. I do own pipes of which the retail price was much higher, for instance 2 Davidoffs which both was in the region of $450. I got them for $50 a piece, new. They do not smoke better than my $52 Savinelli Trevi. I have one Sav Punto Oro of which the retail price was $220 (I paid $95 for it). It does not smoke better than my $50 dollar Sav Pisa Canadian.

I was recently gifted a new artisan pipe by Charl Goussard of which the retail price was $230. Only now can I appreciate the price attached to such a pipe. And I'm not talking about the looks of the pipe only. I can honestly and without doubt say I've never smoked a pipe like this before.

Today is only the 4th day I'm smoking it and it delivers like a pipe which has been smoked a 1000 times. No matter which tobacco I stuff in it, it delivers. It is sweet, the draw is perfect, I just can't put it down.

I'm happy with my collection of 48 briars plus 3 Falcons and a number of cobs. I do not wish for more in this price bracket.

I do know that I want some more pipes from Charl. I've spent much, much more than $230 during this year on pipes. So what I will do next year is to buy 1 or 2 pipes from Charl. I will receive pipes of which there are no duplicates, made to my order and which I know will be excellent smokers. And I will pay for it with a smile  :D 

Kelhammer":ofni419u said:
Ok this is a great guy. It has been explained to me by the maker that Morta is indeed very brittle and difficult to work. That the condition I see is a result of the drill breaking thru the brittle material. Knowing this does a lot for my point of view.  As a craftsman it is easy for me to understand and believe this explanation. He guarantees his pipes. I told him my concern is a wet smoking pipe.  He told me to smoke it, and if it's wet he will work with me to make it right. To make me happy.  I believe this guy will so I am going to smoke this thing, but not tonight. It's past my fun time for a work night.  I am very impressed with this reply.
Good to hear he's taking care of you. That's the kind of response I think you should expect from an artisan. Like Ocelot said, most artisan pipe makers don't want to stick you with a pipe that you're clearly not happy with. Most have pretty generous return policies. Let us know how it turns out!

Be picky! I would just send it back. Like many have said a couple of hundred bucks is a lot of money but it is a drop in the bucket in the pipe world. If this issue bugs you enough to post it on a board it always will and you will be better off getting your money back and finding the right pipe for you. I guarantee you will find it and you'll be glad you made this hard decision.
IMO the best investment for that money would be to use it to travel to a pipe show. That way you will have the opportunity to personally inspect 100's of pipes and get a feel for what your money will buy and what the hobby is all about. A bit off topic but the hardest part of collecting pipes on a budget is what not to buy. Spending money is easy, getting picky is very hard.  :shock: 

alfredo_buscatti":r9sbf762 said:
Artisan pipes don't smoke better but they look a lot better, especially on close inspection.

How many artisan pipes do you own ? :twisted: 

scrolling_spacebar.jpg
 :shock: 

Well I have been sick for nearly two weeks now. Broke down and went to the doctor today. This being the case I have only managed to smoke this pipe twice. Both times it has gurgled at about the half way point of the pipe. I have thought a lot on this and the bottom line is I expected a better job for the money. Brittle material or not I know with a good sharp drill and good technique this type of break out should be avoidable. In hind sight I suspect this is the result of hurried work.

Kelhammer, I do hope you are sending this pipe back to the pipe maker so he/she can make it right.

Please let us know how this works out for you.

Kelhammer":zdb3ygrh said:
Well I have been sick for nearly two weeks now. Broke down and went to the doctor today.
Well, if the problem with the pipe is effecting you in such a way, you must insist on your money back. You can't afford to risk your life for a pipe. :twisted: :twisted: 

The fact that it's a difficult material to work with is no excuse. Many materials, from wood to marble to diamonds, are found to have flaws or are ruined during processing. Doesn't make it OK to sell a flawed final product. That said, sounds like the maker is willing to stand behind it, as he should. You are the final and only judge, and if you are displeased in any way with the product you are entitled to a replacement or a full refund. Good luck to you!

Without trying to point the finger at anyone I know gurgle can be caused by a number of things, one, improper packing and I have been guilty of it myself from time to time.
Not seeing the drilling of the draft hole I wouldn't think that just a bit of break out would cause a gurgle, it would have to be a restriction in the draft hole but, I'm no expert either. I would, if the carver will give you this time, try and smoke it more to make positive that it is the pipe that is causing your problem. Or if your just too sick to, see if he'll take it back for inspection. Of course this is all up to you and in no way am I telling you what you should or shouldn't do.
In either way I hope you and the carver can work it out smoothly to benefit you both.

Cartaphilus":3gmc9nc2 said:
Without trying to point the finger at anyone I know gurgle can be caused by a number of things, one, improper packing and I have been guilty of it myself from time to time.
Not seeing the drilling of the draft hole I wouldn't think that just a bit of break out would cause a gurgle, it would have to be a restriction in the draft hole but, I'm no expert either. I would, if the carver will give you this time, try and smoke it more to make positive that it is the pipe that is causing your problem. Or if your just too sick to, see if he'll take it back for inspection. Of course this is all up to you and in no way am I telling you what you should or shouldn't do.
In either way I hope you and the carver can work it out smoothly to benefit you both.
Bro', I find that 90% or more of the time gurgling in my pipes are caused by moisture at the tip of the tenon. I have no pipes which suffer from moisture in the heel which causes gurgling.

So, if Kelhammers pipe does gurgle, the easiest wat to find whether the gurgle is stem/tenon related is to push a pipe cleaner no further than the tenon. If the gurgling stops, then it's not in the heel. If it's still there, push pipe cleaner all the way into the bowl. If that's the only way to stop the gurgling, the problem obviously is in the bowl and he should return the pipe.

If I'm in the dark about this, please lead me into the light!! :) 

Pete, Again I'm no expert but, from my understanding a gurgle caused by pipe construction can be caused by several things. One being a tobacco chamber/bowl being drilled below the draft hole giving moisture a place to collect. Two a restriction in the draft hole like poor transition between shank and stem draft holes causing a turbulence of air in the shank giving moisture a place to collect. There may be others but, personally I can't see why a small break out of material at the draft hole tobacco chamber could cause moisture to collect there. If any of the professional pipe carvers can correct me please do. Again, I do not claim to be an expert and this is only what I've learn from my studies and research on the making of pipes. I restore pipes, I'm no carver by any means.
This doesn't mean that it is not gurgling from some other problem, just that I don't see how the break out could be causing it.