falcon pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 3 Falcons and they are cool smokers (pun intended). There are some more of these faithful workhorses in my future.

The thing about a Falcon is that it all depends on the bowl. (Sound familiar?) Once you have one, you can always get cheap bowls on the usual auction site, and I guarantee you'll find a hunk of wood that smokes really well.

The beauty of the Falcon is that you can actually smoke it all day, or for more than a day, as long as you remember to unscrew the bowl to wipe the gunk out of the collector and then do the usual pipe-cleaner stuff with the rest of the pipe. The metal isn't going to absorb anything ghastly, so they're hard to overtax. When I was a teen, that came in handy...

williamcharles":mdhfjpwp said:
Falcons aren't made to be taken apart at the bit. The literature that comes with the Falcons states as much.
If Falcons are coming apart at the wrong place (the bit) when/after they come into the shop somebody probably did not know to not remove the bits on several brands of "metal" pipes.

Kirstens come apart at the bit but don't pull that aluminum tube out of the bit. You won't get it to stay in when you try to replace it.
Some of the metal Kaywoodies can be ruined by taking out the bit. I have one on which a tug on the bit operates the release mechanism of the bowl. Try to remove the bit and the pipe would be ruined.
YellowBole AreoGrates  have bits that are not removable. Once the bit is forced off the pipe that pipe is history.

Grabow Vikings are made to be taken apart at the bit so no problem there.

Those five brands are the only ones I own so I can't speak about the bits on any of the other brands, however those five brands show me to proceed with caution when I do get hold of another brand to examine.
I'll have to pass that along to the shop and see what they say. They tend to get their Falcon pipes in bulk, and I believe all they have is a blank cardboard box that comes with them, sans the literature. They've been selling them this way for years, so I'm sure either the newer staff isn't aware of of this, or have forgotten entirely.

I'm by no means an expert about Falcon or other metal pipes, they aren't my thing. Good information, and I will pass this along--level-up on my cache of things-to-know. Thank you. :)

I agree with all of the statement. But I have read that if the stem/ shank of the Falcon is heated that it will come apart. :study: :affraid: 

So I got a Falcon, the curiosity killing me. Haven't smoked it yet. The draw is nice and open, until I attach the bowl. Then the draw is very restricted. Is there something wrong with mine, or is this the way they work? It's like sucking through a horsehair. I frankly don't see how the pipe can draw, since the bottom bowl opening seems to wedge down against that metal "island" that you put the ring around. Dare I ream the bowl hole?

Wait a sec! I just fixed it by removing the little filter ring and it draws great. What kind of a j.o. design is this? Nice job, Falcoonery, Inc. Guess I won't be buying any of your filter thingys.

And tell me something: Is it necessary to wear a bolo tie when smoking one of these? I always associate these pipes with guys wearing bolo ties stepping out of a bingo parlor.

Richard Burley":70sxi8qn said:
So I got a Falcon, the curiosity killing me. Haven't smoked it yet. The draw is nice and open, until I attach the bowl. Then the draw is very restricted. Is there something wrong with mine, or is this the way they work? It's like sucking through a horsehair. I frankly don't see how the pipe can draw, since the bottom bowl opening seems to wedge down against that metal "island" that you put the ring around. Dare I ream the bowl hole?

Wait a sec! I just fixed it by removing the little filter ring and it draws great. What kind of a j.o. design is this? Nice job, Falcoonery, Inc. Guess I won't be buying any of your filter thingys.

And tell me something: Is it necessary to wear a bolo tie when smoking one of these? I always associate these pipes with guys wearing bolo ties stepping out of a bingo parlor.
Those rings are supposed to catch moisture, and they do, but they can restrict the airflow. I either forgo using them, or, for some of the more moist flakes and aromatics, I'll cut 3/4" or so off a pipe cleaner and make a horse shoe, with the open end towards the stem. Actually carry a few cut down in advance in my pouches. I get about six to seven out of a standard 6 inch pipe cleaner and I'm set..

No, it is not required to wear a bola tie, unless you're a purist. :lol!:

I've been smoking mine for a week now, not even tried those silly filter things. Not necessary. Barely any condensation at all. If you need one of those in your Falcon you have a smoker problem, not a pipe problem.

Richard Burley":v14bns8s said:

Don't overtighten the bowl; that can also force the opening at the bottom of the bowl too far down over the dimple/'island', cutting down on the draw quite a bit, no matter if you are using the filter ring or not

Does anyone have source for the o-ring that apparently seals the bowl to the stem? My one and only Falcon is missing this, and it leaks air.

The new Meer Falcon bowl I just got in has this and it seems to me that this is what makes the seal. And I can't find any site which offers these.

Otherwise I'll have to go to my local hardware store and see if I can get an o-ring that will do the job.

TIA

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":479eff7s said:
Does anyone have source for the o-ring that apparently seals the bowl to the stem? My one and only Falcon is missing this, and it leaks air.

The new Meer Falcon bowl I just got in has this and it seems to me that this is what makes the seal. And I can't find any site which offers these.

Otherwise I'll have to go to my local hardware store and see if I can get an o-ring that will do the job.

TIA

Cheers,

RR
I;ve never seen any of those rings used for the briar bowls. Mine did not come with one and smokes just fine. I would imagine that the meer bowls are more susceptable to tightening pressues and these help them. :twisted:

Richard Burley":dz64n3gp said:

Hey, Ya gotta wear the Bolo buddy or ya can't smoke it!
Here's a selection for ya to try. Bolo Ties

I like Falcon pipes, I have four or five bodies and nine or ten bowls, I don´t known ceirtanlly I have, but for my are very confortables

Richard Burley":zuppwv6x said:
leacha":zuppwv6x said:
Hmmm...that's a "leaking Falcons" thread. Anyone had that problem? I'm liking mine so far--based on one whole bowl of red Virginia.
That's me. My one and only Falcon has this issue and it looks to be down to a missing o-ring. Never even knew they needed one until I just got in the Meer bowl for the POTY.

Cheers,

RR

I guess I meant anyone else have that problem?...or, in other words, is that a common problem with these pipes? Mine has a barely detectable gasket. I'll call it that because it's flat, not round in cross-section like an O-ring.

Brewdude":artqa1rv said:
Richard Burley":artqa1rv said:
leacha":artqa1rv said:
Hmmm...that's a "leaking Falcons" thread. Anyone had that problem? I'm liking mine so far--based on one whole bowl of red Virginia.
That's me. My one and only Falcon has this issue and it looks to be down to a missing o-ring. Never even knew they needed one until I just got in the Meer bowl for the POTY.

Cheers,

RR
Send it, I can fix it. Or someone else who jumps in can. Just sayin', as the sayin' goes.............