falcon pipes

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My one and only complaint about these falcons so far is the fact that they don't use acrylic for the mouthpieces. Nylon is just OK. Better than cheap vulcanite, but just OK. If they'd offer acrylic these things would be so much better.

Ozark Wizard":15warx81 said:
Brewdude":15warx81 said:
Richard Burley":15warx81 said:
leacha":15warx81 said:
Hmmm...that's a "leaking Falcons" thread. Anyone had that problem? I'm liking mine so far--based on one whole bowl of red Virginia.
That's me. My one and only Falcon has this issue and it looks to be down to a missing o-ring. Never even knew they needed one until I just got in the Meer bowl for the POTY.

Cheers,

RR
Send it, I can fix it. Or someone else who jumps in can. Just sayin', as the sayin' goes.............
Very good of you to offer Ozzie, and I just might take you up on that if I can't find a suitable o-ring at the hardware store. But I'll give it the old college try first.

I'll be sending you my Meer Falcon POTY for engraving soon anyways.

Cheers,

RR

I do not think that the OEM Falcon bowls have "o" rings. Those pictured in the link are press on bowls not screw on as per the Viking and Falcon ones.

:bounce:

loneredtree":gtpck6mw said:
I do not think that the OEM Falcon bowls have "o" rings. Those pictured in the link are press on bowls not screw on as per the Viking and Falcon ones.

:bounce:
Maybe some do and some don't. My new "Istanbul" bowl has a flat gasket of very hard rubber or nylon. I can't believe the factory doesn't sell these if they eventually become a problem. I was thinking maybe putting beeswax on the threads would work, but I guess it would just melt.

Richard Burley":335msaps said:
So I got a Falcon, the curiosity killing me. Haven't smoked it yet. The draw is nice and open, until I attach the bowl. Then the draw is very restricted. Is there something wrong with mine, or is this the way they work? It's like sucking through a horsehair. I frankly don't see how the pipe can draw, since the bottom bowl opening seems to wedge down against that metal "island" that you put the ring around. Dare I ream the bowl hole?

Wait a sec! I just fixed it by removing the little filter ring and it draws great. What kind of a j.o. design is this? Nice job, Falcoonery, Inc. Guess I won't be buying any of your filter thingys.

And tell me something: Is it necessary to wear a bolo tie when smoking one of these? I always associate these pipes with guys wearing bolo ties stepping out of a bingo parlor.
Richard, enlarge the hole at the bottom of the bowl and, that's it! Ream the bowl hole :lol:

Right, so I spent a few minutes at the local Mom & Pop hardware store today and rummaged through their bins of o-rings until I found a couple that seemed to work acceptably.

None were the sizes as suggested in above posts, but that could account for the particular bowl I have. All I can say is that the bowl now seals against the dish (spoon, or whatever it's called) of the stem. So now just need to fire it up and see if this solves the problem.

However, the draw seems to be a bit firm and I'm starting to wonder if the dry ring is causing this. Won't really know until I put match to bowl and see how it really draws under fire. I see that Mr. Burley had a draw issue and took out the dry ring and then had success. So I'll bear that in mind.

Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":dudw7h31 said:
...I see that Mr. Burley had a draw issue and took out the dry ring and then had success. So I'll bear that in mind.
Yep. The round bottom of my (Istanbul) bowl impinges on the ring. Nice design, Falcoonery, Inc. I assume this could be fixed, not by enlarging the hole, but by sanding the round bottom flat. But I don't see any reason for using the dry ring anyhow, though I haven't tried aromatics yet.

My trio is all put together now, and there are a few more bowls not pictured.

image10.jpg

image11.jpg

image12.jpg

Puff Daddy":q13on36d said:
My trio is all put together now, and there are a few more bowls not pictured.

image10.jpg

image11.jpg

image12.jpg

Why are all your pics upside down? :twisted: :twisted:

Wow, that's strange. When I previewed my post they were all right side up. I'll see if I can change it later, right now I'm rather busy.

OK, the pics show up right side up on my ipad and upside down on my smart phone when viewing this thread. I tried to make another post of the pics after rotating them and they were upside down on both devices, so I deleted that post. I dunno, hold your computer whatever way necessary to see the photos I guess, I give up :lol:

You know, I'm not real keen on admitting this, but I really like smoking my only Falcon, recently purchased. The esthetics suck, and breaking in a new bowl wasn't very enjoyable, but this pipe now smokes great. Dare I say it? It's right up there with a good cob.  Any other Falcon newbies looking at their other pipes a bit askance? Know what I'm sayin'?

Richard Burley":087kuj42 said:
You know, I'm not real keen on admitting this, but I really like smoking my only Falcon, recently purchased. The esthetics suck, and breaking in a new bowl wasn't very enjoyable, but this pipe now smokes great. Dare I say it? It's right up there with a good cob.  Any other Falcon newbies looking at their other pipes a bit askance? Know what I'm sayin'?
See? I TOLD you, you won't regret it!

Richard Burley":7r8uob1d said:
breaking in a new bowl wasn't very enjoyable
True! I have a few rusticated bowls, a couple hunter bowls and a meer. The meer is perfect, needed no break in (obviously) and smokes like a champ. The Hunter bowls had a bit of an off taste for a couple bowls but are settling in nicely and are good smokers. The rusticated bowls are dip stained like Peterson used to do. With multiple colors used, there's a lot of stain inside the chamber and god they taste awful. I immediately sanded down the walls to remove as much stain as I could, and they have been a bit of a chore to break in, taking several smokes to get past the taste. The ones I smoked enough are fine now, but what a chore.

Finally got my 1st Falcon to smoke today.

I had come to the conclusion that the seal of the briar bowl to the stem was passing air and thus was not able to draw properly. Got this as an estate, and if the bowl once had an o-ring it didn't when I got it. And not being experienced with Falcons WTF did I know?

Experimented with a couple different o-rings to seal the bowl to the stem and the thinnest one was the winner. Surprisingly, the thickest one created a situation of very restricted draw. I also tried out the draw with a dry ring and it also seemed to restrict the draw so removed it.

So, allus gut! Although I did get a slight gurgle from the 'baccy, but figure that's more of an issue with the moisture content than the pipe.

Looking forward to smoking the new Falcon POTY w/meer bowl and black anodized stem. Now in the capable hand of Ozzie for engraving.

8)

Cheers,

RR

Puff Daddy":or6svgjo said:
Richard Burley":or6svgjo said:
breaking in a new bowl wasn't very enjoyable
True! I have a few rusticated bowls, a couple hunter bowls and a meer. The meer is perfect, needed no break in (obviously) and smokes like a champ. The Hunter bowls had a bit of an off taste for a couple bowls but are settling in nicely and are good smokers. The rusticated bowls are dip stained like Peterson used to do. With multiple colors used, there's a lot of stain inside the chamber and god they taste awful. I immediately sanded down the walls to remove as much stain as I could, and they have been a bit of a chore to break in, taking several smokes to get past the taste. The ones I smoked enough are fine now, but what a chore.
This is great intel PD. Thanks for sharing.

Cheers,

RR

For some reason the Falcon/Viking is speaking to me I think I may have to get one here soon.
Other than a bolo tie what else do I need to look out for when purchasing one of these pipes?

Shop around for the parts. Sometimes the stem and the bowls come from different places. When you get the parts together, smoke it like you stole it! :cheers: