Fall weather, Autumn smokes...

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Nate

Reaction score
As the days get shorter and the evenings a little more brisk, I find myself reaching for those grassy Virginia and Va/Per blends. i.e. Full VA Flake, PS Bullseye Flake, Escudo, Beacon Extra and not usually a Lat fan but have been enjoying British Woods and Frog On the Bayou.

I don't know about you guys but I am really enjoying my pipe this fall season. Just curious what everyone else will be smoking this fall season?

-Nate

The fall season hasn't hit Tucson yet. Have to wait till Late November early December! :lol: So I usually think of the Christmas blends.

Fall and Spring are my favorite times of year for smoking the pipe, mainly because I smoke outside but, year round my Escudo is there. The first smoke of the morning is my beloved Escudo with a good cup of coffee. ;)

Cartaphilus":l5i5taeu said:
Fall and Spring are my favorite times of year for smoking the pipe, mainly because I smoke outside but, year round my Escudo is there. The first smoke of the morning is my beloved Escudo with a good cup of coffee. ;)
When the fall comes I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn to enjoy a cool morning smoke. But I prefer a hot cup of tea with my pipe. Right now I have to get up before the sun comes up and it's still pretty warm.

Cart, I'm only an occasional Escudo smoker... But lately, it is just right on these cool Pittsburgh evenings. Very rewarding.

Old Nate":mvunth53 said:
Cart, I'm only an occasional Escudo smoker... But lately, it is just right on these cool Pittsburgh evenings. Very rewarding.
Pittsburgh huh, I use to live in a small town called Coudersport it's not far from you.

Fat man, my wife and I honeymooned in Alaska. Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Talkeetna, Denali... Really nice, but cold. Went up in May of 2013

Old Nate":pxjqi1km said:
Fat man, my wife and I honeymooned in Alaska. Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Talkeetna, Denali... Really nice, but cold. Went up in May of 2013
And you didn't stop by for a visit? I see how it is, sniff sniff................

Fall should get here in late November, winter by late December, spring by early March and summer by early April so I smoke the SAME thing year round, one of three Red Va's with my morning cuppa Chiccory Joe N'Awlins style, either FM2000, CV2010, or 5100 RC!! mmmmm ketchup in the mornin' :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Fall usually for me means great VA blends in a cob out on the boat or on the beach fishing. Were I stand waiting for the fall striper run that usually doesn't happen in south jersey.
As of late I have had Semios in my pipe and it is great on cool fall days

All interesting and worthy choices. Oddly enough, the blend that's moved into my top choice seems to work for me all four seasons, a cool yet potent blend...Gawith's Dark Flake Scented.

Blackhorse":bf6ognl8 said:
All interesting and worthy choices. Oddly enough, the blend that's moved into my top choice seems to work for me all four seasons, a cool yet potent blend...Gawith's Dark Flake Scented.

I love this tobacco all year but especially when it's cold outside. Something about the cold temps makes it all the better. :)

AJ

Penzance is always saved for the fall. The fragrance always makes me think of a campfire.

The temperatures today were terrific. People showed up at the office this morning wearing sleeves.

I am from the Houston, TX area. We don't know what Fall or Winter is. I have seen it 90 in January. However, during the cooler months (of 12 months of hot) I prefer to smoke blends that have a thicker, fuller taste. I do enjoy latakia blends more. The other 11 months and 2 weeks, I prefer the cooler VAs. LOL I know it is a little bit of an exaggeration on the amount of hot weather, but not much. The standing joke is that we have 2 seasons... Hot and Hotter. I can't wait till the kiddo graduates High School. We will most likely start snow-birding so as to get some cooler weather in the spring and summer.

Meh, the weather never really had much of an impact on what I smoke. I do tend to smoke more aros in the colder weather, but just because I tend to smoke indoors (not in the house but the in little workshop that does lead into house.)

Old Nate - great that you're reaching for British Woods...I've recently become a HUGE fan of that blend.

I'm not a dedicated "seasonal" smoker, meaning that I smoke from all parts of my rotation throughout the year, but the balance changes throughout the year. Some blends are never far from my reach, regardless the time of year: GLP Telegraph Hill, SG FVF, McC Frog Morton. Other than that, the Spring/Summer rotation seems to be heaver in VAs and VaPers, while the Fall/Winter lean more strongly on Latakia blends.

No hard and fast rules though.

Ultimately I thinkbi agree with Dave and Bowman. The colder weather has kinda prompted me to go for the lat blends a little more than usual, but I know I'll be smoking my Virginia all year round!

When the temp drops I tend toward more latakia and orientals. Sutliff's golden age is one I'll be enjoying for sure. I'll probably finish up some old ironsides and smoke some penzance, too. I also have picked up some KY-based blends that I'm sure will be good. The grassy VAs I tend to smoke more in the spring/summer, though I'll still grab them from time to time.

Historically I've tended to get into the Plum Cake in a big way when the weather starts to turn but I've been enjoying some new blends very much so that could change I suppose.

Here in the PNW fall is definitely on the way but I think we have a few more weeks before the serious rains start in earnest.