Farewell My Friends....

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doc, you will be missed.

I think that LL's comments, as well as others, not to divest yourself of your prize pipes, in case you do return to the pipe world, are quite valid. You've amassed so many great pipes that if you do decide to smoke the pipe again, you will do so at great cost and regret.

I too will miss you Doc! Good advice here on keeping the good stuff. If you want, I'll be happy to store it for you :)

In any case, I've made the opposite decision and decided that exercise doesn't fit into my pipe smoking lifestyle :) So the universe is still balanced.

Take care. You'll always be a brother of the briar.

-Andrew

Dock,

Good luck and hope you enjoy your "new style". We'll miss you and you will always be welcome back if the urge hits you.

Don't be too anxious to rid yourself of your collections. If you think having them around will be too great a temptation, then possibly some part of you wants to keep on, so just lock them up safely and out of sight. You know how long it took to accumulate, so at least keep what is "key" to you of your collection. [I can hear someone back there saying "don't tell him that!"] And you know that the tobacco stash isn't going to lose value with an extra bit of aging, especially with every level of government seemingly intent on raising its taxes on the gracious leaf.

Again good luck, and you know you will be missed.

Al (in Canada)

I think we all will miss you, Doc. It makes me sad that you feel you have to leave because you no longer smoke. Though this is a smoking board, perhaps the bonds of "brotherhood" reach deeper than just the love of pipes?

At any rate. Farewell, friend. =(

Do what you gotta do, but your collection is only going to get more valuable. I say hang on to it for a decade or so just in case.

Wow, that is a shocker. But, I wish you well in your new endevaors. I agree with some of the others who say you might come back to the pipe, or at least, occasionally indulge. I went through a similar "no tobac" period that lasted about 6 years. I spent that time getting in shape, eating better, not drinking, etc. Now, I still don't drink (that is the hardest thing), run 4-5 miles/day -- but I do smoke a pipe and cigars.

You never know -- our bodies change, interests change, etc. But one thing is constant -- we all have an affection for the pipe and its comradarie -- and this is what brings most of back.

LL":ijdwzk04 said:
Hey, Dock ---

Been there, done that. Several times. At one point I was a 100%-devoted bicycle road racer, and didn't even THINK of a pipe for several years. But if pipes are in your blood, they're in your blood, and will always draw you back.

You are young, and just encountering your first lifestyle "distraction", is all. Go enjoy it. Even use it as an opportunity to offload those maybe yes/maybe no pieces you were on the fence about... but DON'T divest yourself of the special & hard-won stuff. I guarantee you'll regret it if you do.

It doesn't seem possible at 33, but believe me there will come a time when a favorite pipe and book is your idea of an exciting evening. And then---another decade or two---there's no way to know how many of the things we take for granted today will be possible to obtain at any price.

Later, bro, and drop in occasionally with some snapshots or similar. You'll always have friends here. 8)

George
^^^What he said^^^

I just saw this today (I certainly don't get on this board as often as I should!)

Dock, your knowledge and contributions will always be treasured. And, as has been pointed out, know that this "brotherhood" (and sisterhood, for that matter!) runs much deeper than just a love of the briar and weed.

Godspeed my friend.

Mike

I gotta say, I know what you mean, I haven't smoked much since going back to work over a year ago and have only smoked twice since moving to San Jose 5 months ago! I can't smoke the good stuff as it makes my stomach ache, but I still love the pipe.

I wish you the best!