FAUX Perique

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vaperfavour

Reaction score
I feel like whining about the loss of real perique. the new stuff lacks strength, has a burnt taste and tastes watered down. I have been smoking out a fresh tin of solani 633 to see how the perique was and alas it doesn't taste the same. and to think I only have two tins left with the good stuff. im still in disbelief that the most American of tobacco's isn't available to us. the memories of st.james are haunting me! does anyone know of any blends or makers still using St.James perique?

vaperfavour":ptwu9idr said:
I feel like whining about the loss of real perique. the new stuff lacks strength, has a burnt taste and tastes watered down. I have been smoking out a fresh tin of solani 633 to see how the perique was and alas it doesn't taste the same. and to think I only have two tins left with the good stuff. im still in disbelief that the most American of tobacco's isn't available to us. the memories of st.james are haunting me! does anyone know of any blends or makers still using St.James perique?
Given the collapse of the RYO market post-SCHIP, Mr. Ryan of D&R has switched over to pipe tobacco production. Or 'pipe cut' tobacco at least. So if you really want real Looosiana Perique, this might be a good place to start. I wish D&R well, by the way.

http://www.smoke-n-chew.com/index.php?cPath=1

thanks beaupipe, ill have to try this. i just remember that unique zing of St.James parish perique, I hope to be able to find it again in some form. my precious tins are becoming more treasured! I wonder how long till ebay starts getting flooded with blends that contain St.James perique. I have a feeling they'll be expensive.

this all well and good, but it doesn't taste like it used to. beacon is very close, even St.James woods isn't what it used to be. ah well such is the way of the world.

Gala apples, Comice pears, Meyer lemons don't taste the exact same year to year. Tobacco is subject to the crop impacting environment as well as the processing that follows harvest.

beaupipe":32ssdv3f said:
vaperfavour":32ssdv3f said:
Given the collapse of the RYO market post-SCHIP, Mr. Ryan of D&R has switched over to pipe tobacco production. Or 'pipe cut' tobacco at least. So if you really want real Looosiana Perique, this might be a good place to start. I wish D&R well, by the way.

http://www.smoke-n-chew.com/index.php?cPath=1
Mark is a member of our pipe club (TAPS) and he had a table at our show, intorducing some of his new "pipe tobacco" and I must say he will be putting out some very nice blends! Mark Ryan is the Perique Man! I also hope that it works out well for him! The current Obamatronian federal leadership really stuck it to him! Obamanomics in action! :evil: What a shame that so many don't care if one of their own brothers gets hurt! :evil:

Pleckzepiper":e7z8atvh said:
Gala apples, Comice pears, Meyer lemons don't taste the exact same year to year. Tobacco is subject to the crop impacting environment as well as the processing that follows harvest.
Year to year changes aren't the only thing that's noticeable in tobaccos. They're a lot like wine grapes. I recently tasted samples of perique grown on three different farms in the same year, and processed identically. It wasn't a slap-your-face difference, but it was easily noticed. All three were exquisite.

The whole "Faux perique" thing gets up my nose. When a guy like Mark Ryan is working his butt off to preserve the tradition of this noble leaf, the dis-service that is done by the repeated, fanciful propaganda about perique's imminent demise is maddening.

Perique is alive and well. There are more people growing perique in and around St. James Parish than there have been in ages. Mark is constantly working to improve the consistency and quality of the St. James and Acadian leaf he produces. The world's supply of perique is not in jeopardy. The future of perique does not rest in the hands of one aging man. On and on...

In fact, the quality of the perique we're seeing is superb, and getting better. I cannot talk about what they're doing with the stuff in Europe, but our future supplies are solid, and of exceptional quality.

glpease":cux69r69 said:
...but our future supplies are solid, and of exceptional quality.

:bounce: I love hearing that! :bounce:

One of these days, I'm gonna mosey on over and
see what there is to see. (probably not much)
I only live about fifteen miles away.

Hermit,

Several years back I took an extended field trip with ten of my students into Louisiana and spent the better part of a day in and around St. James Parish. I had contacted Mr. Martin a few weeks earlier to see if we could have a "tour" of the production. He (actually, I think it might have been his son) welcomed us to stop in and they gave us a brief tour and explanation of the process. It was a great experience and the amount of work, the strength needed, and the pay received was daunting. Driving to our hotel south of the Grand Pt. area my students couldn't understand why anyone would do such hard, dirty work. I guess kids didn't see the importance of family and tradition yet in their young lives.

As we left, his son (I think it was his son?) gifted me a half-loaf of aged perique they make for their own use and to give to friends. My student's thought it looked like a giant turd, and smelled worse! I on the other hand, realized what a wonderful treasure it was and used it in my mixtures for several years afterword. Once tried smoking it straight and it was, well, rather "stout".

At that time, they were on the ropes, and I didn't think they would survive. It's good to hear they're holding on and may have a brighter future.

Natch

glpease":4or4gwt2 said:
In fact, the quality of the perique we're seeing is superb, and getting better. I cannot talk about what they're doing with the stuff in Europe, but our future supplies are solid, and of exceptional quality.
You know, I for one really appreciate having an industry insider and what I consider an expert on tobacco as an active, interested member here, or at any other forum. Hell, the fact you post your blog and the BL Chronicles is enough. The inside information and perspective are a real treat.

This information is greatly appreciated! :cheers: