Favorite Captain Black blend

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PipeLeisure

Reaction score
I don't really smoke that much Captain Black anymore but will always have a place in my heart for the Gold, it was the first pipe tobacco I ever tried and really liked it. I then went on to trying the blue (Royal), then the White (vanilla), then the Red (Cherry). The funny thing is that's the order I like them in from best to worst.

I'm going to post a little poll to see what Captain Black tobacco wins...just for sh*ts and giggles.

CBW was my first blend ever, so it's a sentimental favorite. Not on my roster now, but I've bummed a bowlful from friends who had an open pouch a few times since.

Captain Black smells wonderful. Pity, really, that it's built on some really horrible, toxic vegetation (I'm loathe to use the word Tobacco ). If they topped it on some Uhle's or Peretti's burleyweed it could be pretty awesome.

I like the Royal. It's cheap and reminds me of BCAQ. I don't smoke it a lot, but it's nice on occasion.

I don't feel qualified to vote as I've only tried the CB Royal and that was quite early on in my ultimate blend quest. I haven't smoked any in years ...

Since we are on the subject of captain Black, I heard that lanes 1Q is actually Captain black Royal...is this true?

I really didn't like it when I retried it (too chemical for me now), but CBW was my main tobacco for 20+ years before my hiatus. Royal was a nice change of pace, but I always felt the gold was kind of 'meh'. I never tried the cherry. My older brother swear by royal.

"T"

What, no option for "the one I don't have to smoke"? Having worked in a shop that had a well-established Lane clientèle, I've had my hands buried in their product for countless hours. It was mindboggling how much Q1 and HGL we sold. Smells good (at times). Tastes like ass (always).

I was on vacation, and I'd forgotten my tobacco. For days, kept looking at that CB White pouch in the gift shop, and then I finally broke. Made it about half way through a bowl and then tossed it all in the trash. I didn't have an itch for a pipe for days after I returned from that trip. We had guys smoking 1LB of Q1 EVERY week. "How?" Don't ask me. They kept the doors open. I'd thank them for that.

They all smell great except for the cherry, which is smells like it's topped with a cherry soda pop. Didn't stop me from trying it though...
I think I liked the gold the best.

PipeLeisure":wub4qloa said:
I'm going to post a little poll to see what Captain Black tobacco wins...just for sh*ts and giggles.

Tried Gold and Blue, I like the Royal Blue out of the two.

Back in the early seventies it was pretty decent. Then I discovered another brand in a black and white tin that's no longer available.

The last time I tried CPT. B., it taste like a mouth full of Daisy BB's, my speedloader for my BB gun, when I was a kid.

Nasty.

Largely because of opinions like the ones in this thread I avoided all OTC and all Aromatic tobaccos when I started smoking. However, when I finally gave in I realized I liked some of them quite a bit. Carter Hall and Prince Albert have become staples in my regular smoking routine along with 1Q and CBW

(also isn't CBW was supposed to be Whiskey Flavored)

Dave_In_Philly":d1y4wgmg said:
(also isn't CBW was supposed to be Whiskey Flavored)
That's the claim, but if so, it must be a vanilla-flavored whiskey! (to my taste, anyway)

My first tobacco for years was CBG. I liked the way it tasted and others liked the way it smelled. I even had one of those big tins of it!

It wasn't until I actually went into a tobacco shop and spoke with the knowledgeable people there that I realized what I had been missing. I started smoking the Whiskey Tobacco from The Tobacco Barn in 7 Corners shopping center in Falls Church Va. It had a great, craveable taste and when I would smoke it, people would comment on how great it smelled and I had to agree. Sadly, I don't think they are in business any longer. I emailed the guy at "The Tobacco Barn" online but it is not the same company. I would love to find out where I could get that tobacco now.