Favorite for an interior bath

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idlefellow

Reaction score
I bought an estate pipe that turned out to be in horrible condition. I've got the outside looking presentable but I need to do a good sit 'n' soak or something; from the looks of the pipe it's scary to think about what kind of horse manure the previous owner put in there! I've heard salt, vodka, combo of both...what else is good? Method/how long to let sit, etc.? Favorite products/methods? Thanks...

Would suggest making sure to ream as much of the gunk or before any soaking (read that somewhere but can't remember where). I've used Everclear 190 proof.

Cut the cake. Then, I wash the airhole with Dawn and a tube brush and the inside of the bowl with a green Scotch scrub pad and Dawn and thoroughly rinse with warm running water. You can safely take it down to bare wood like this, if you so desire. Then I plug the airway with a solid-core Q-tip, pack the bowl with cotton swabs, and then fill with 91% rubbing alcohol and let sit overnight. I use an eyedropper so I don't get it on the outside and mess with the stain. 14 hours of soak? something around there.

Cut the cake. Then, I wash the airhole with Dawn and a tube brush and the inside of the bowl with a green Scotch scrub pad and Dawn and thoroughly rinse with warm running water. You can safely take it down to bare wood like this, if you so desire. Then I plug the airway with a solid-core Q-tip, pack the bowl with cotton swabs, and then fill with 91% rubbing alcohol and let sit overnight. I use an eyedropper so I don't get it on the outside and mess with the stain. 14 hours of soak? something around there.
Prefer Vodka or other drinkable alcohol. Rubbing alcohol has glycerin in it, not recommended for a pipe.