Favorite Out-in-the-Woods Pipe

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dramatwist

Reaction score
Bros,

What is your favorite hiking/river-running/fishing/hunting pipe?

Mine is the ever-present Falcon with an additional bowl.

Best,

I usually take either a cob or my Medico Varsity with my Zippo pipe lighter. I don't take my expensive stuff.

Dunhill 1970's Shell group 3 billiard. It's got a cracked shank (banded), and part of the bowl was cracked off (rebonded). Both repaired nicely. Incredibly light with a deep blast. Possibly my best smoker, too. My only remaining Dunhill.

But I'd honestly rather roll my own with some nice Stokkebye shag of some type. Playing with a dog, farting around with scrambling, and whatnot seems like I'm always banging into my pipe with my hand or something. I'm not a cigarette smoker, but a couple of RYOs on a hike is a nice accent to the experience.

Zeno Marx":1vffubez said:
Dunhill 1970's Shell group 3 billiard.  It's got a cracked shank (banded), and part of the bowl was cracked off (rebonded).  Both repaired nicely.  Incredibly light with a deep blast.  Possibly my best smoker, too.  My only remaining Dunhill.

But I'd honestly rather roll my own with some nice Stokkebye shag of some type.  Playing with a dog, farting around with scrambling, and whatnot seems like I'm always banging into my pipe with my hand or something.  I'm not a cigarette smoker, but a couple of RYOs on a hike is a nice accent to the experience.
Thanks for the remarks.

I broke my last Dunhill on a hike around Pinecrest Lake with my wife a few years ago... my own fault. No more Dunhills for me.

Best,

Dramatwist":6v1so4hw said:
Bros,

Best,
Well, if'en I could do all those things I reckon it be one of my cobs.
Just wouldn't trust myself with a nice pipe while out whooping it up.

Yeap, cobs. I've got one with a Forever stem, wrapped the shank with fly tying thread in a pretty pattern. That's my woods pipe. Also, cigars.

I have a 3/4 bent Pete with a military stem I use when out and about or doing chores.

On the rare ocassion I manage to make it out to the Woods I always like to take my Bully with me, it's a quick smoke pipe and has endured some pretty heavy duty abuse over the years.

My Bully underwent a bit of a transformation a while back, prior to altering it I never really thought much of it but as soon as I had finished tarting him up I went through a really weird phase where I was loathe to fill him up and smoke him again. My much loved Brothers here afforded me the fortitude to pull my finger out of the dark place and just smoke him again, something I am exceedingly grateful for as my Bully not only smokes just as well as he always did he also looks rather dashing now too.

Here's a before and after shot of Bully:

Bully-B4Aft.jpg

As you can see he was a rather plain and drab looking effort prior to giving him a make-over but now he's rather easy going on the eye, well, I love him anyway so there it is.

The rustication looks just terrific on the doggie, Kirk. Fine job...as always.

pepesdad1":raqntpou said:
The rustication looks just terrific on the doggie, Kirk.  Fine job...as always.
Thank you kindly my dear Bro'.  :sunny: :heart: :sunny: 

Lookin' good Kirk!  :cheers: 

My favourite pipe for out an' about is a lil' stonehaven lovat. Though I often take the wee Morgan cob from Missouri Meerschaum out for a stroll as well, I find myself reaching for a briar Stonehaven more often than not.

This one I stripped the factory lacquered finish off of and found some rather surprising grain lying underneath.  :D 

UhGv3OP.jpg

Greens of Leeds still sells these lil' beauties at a very reasonable price, and the older pipes make the rounds on ebay from time to time.

http://www.smoke-king.co.uk/acatalog/Stonehaven-Shorty-Lovat-Smooth-Briar-Pipe-417.html#SID=73

Briar Spirit":jhadlt2p said:
On the rare ocassion I manage to make it out to the Woods I always like to take my Bully with me, it's a quick smoke pipe and has endured some pretty heavy duty abuse over the years.

My Bully underwent a bit of a transformation a while back, prior to altering it I never really thought much of it but as soon as I had finished tarting him up I went through a really weird phase where I was loathe to fill him up and smoke him again. My much loved Brothers here afforded me the fortitude to pull my finger out of the dark place and just smoke him again, something I am exceedingly grateful for as my Bully not only smokes just as well as he always did he also looks rather dashing now too.

Bully-B4Aft.jpg

As you can see he was a rather plain and drab looking effort prior to giving him a make-over but now he's rather easy going on the eye, well, I love him anyway so there it is.
I have a well-loved pipe very similar to Bully. Really old. Probably wouldn't chance an outing with it.

Best,

Back when I did that kinda stuff I used to carry a short little Irish style clay pipe. It is light, and cheap so I never worried about losing or breaking it. Also being clay I didn't have to worry about the wind causing a burn out on a good briar. Still have that pipe too.

Jim

Slartibartfast":6vo6vlsr said:
Lookin' good Kirk!   :cheers: 

My favourite pipe for out an' about is a lil' stonehaven lovat.  Though I often take the wee Morgan cob from Missouri Meerschaum out for a stroll as well, I find myself reaching for a briar Stonehaven more often than not.

This one I stripped the factory lacquered finish off of and found some rather surprising grain lying underneath.   :D 

UhGv3OP.jpg

Greens of Leeds still sells these lil' beauties at a very reasonable price, and the older pipes make the rounds on ebay from time to time.

http://www.smoke-king.co.uk/acatalog/Stonehaven-Shorty-Lovat-Smooth-Briar-Pipe-417.html#SID=73
Very kind of you to say that, thank you.

I must say I am rather smitten with the Rusticated version of your pipe http://www.smoke-king.co.uk/acatalog/Stonehaven-Shorty-Lovat-Rustic-Briar-Pipe-418.html#SID=73 , looks pretty rough and ready, almost as though it were intended for smoking out in the woods.  :sunny: 

Dramatwist":9b6gai8u said:
Briar Spirit":9b6gai8u said:

Bully-B4Aft.jpg

I have a well-loved pipe very similar to Bully. Really old. Probably wouldn't chance an outing with it.

Best,

Bully was a fairly cheap pipe when I made purchase of it, around £30 or so I believe when I purchased it, being as it was sold in the pipe shop in Oxford City (sadly sold and turned into a crappy cigarette store now) it was a low price range pipe as their prices were exaggerated to make extra money out of Tourists, same story all over Oxford really. I cleaned it up and removed all traces of tobacco and muck for our elder daughter to use as a toy for a couple of years, she used it to dig little holes in the garden and to mash up slugs (yeuch right), I know, weird but kids do the weirdest things at times and believe me when I say it was not optional but to let her have it as a toy, she has a hell of a temper on her!!! Bully got shoved in a box under the stairs for a couple of years after she'd finished with it, I stumbled on Bully under the stairs whilst looking for an extension lead, he was in pretty poor shape but I cleaned him up a little and went about smoking him again, then the day came where I had an urge to tart him up a little, well so pleased I did as I love that pipe, it is like having a dear and trusted old friend return to one side after a prolonged absence.

While fishing, I always carry two pipes for different situations.

One pipe, a Dr Grabow Starfire, was gifted to me, by my good friend Coastie who is also a member on this forum. He rusticated it for me and it's especially for fishing. Thanks again Coastie, if you happen to read this.

But the second pipe is for when it's windy. It's a cob and I have to use a jet flame lighter with it to keep it lit. I don't mind scorching the rim of the cob with the jet flame but, of course, I wouldn't use it on the briar pipe. I use a wind cap on the cob.

The lighter is a dual flame one by Jobon, perfect for fishing.

Dramatwist":bx59tupi said:
Bros,

Best,
I've got to agree with you on the Falcon.