Favorite whiskey/whisky?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Reaction score
Which is your favorite?

I don't have a sophisticated palate but I'm learning. My current go to is Jameson. My prior go to was Wild Turkey 101. In the past I had some rye and scotch I liked. Need to branch out. Looking for suggestions.

Difficult to say. If you get into whiskey, it's like tobacco or food. It's endless and mood driven. If money wasn't a factor, I'd go with something very smokey and briny; something probably off the Isle of Islay. For cheap, I still don't think you can beat Evan Williams. When in the mood for wood and saddle leather, which I often am, Wild Turkey Russell's Reserve is a good choice. I can't answer this question. Delete.

Most any Canadian Whisky (Crown Royal being a personal fav), same for most Rye Whiskey (Bulliet 95 Rye being at the top of my list). Single Malt Scotch (not too much peat, please!), both the dryer and sweeter ones! Same for the Irish drams, I pretty much like'em all. Not a Bourbon person, but I can handle a few; Maker's Mark & soda being quite nice! Tennessee sippin' Whiskey, especially George Dickel, is always in my bar.

With health issues, I haven't had any for several years. At that time my favorite was Powers 12year Special but at that was hard to find and now expensive. I did drink Tullamore DEW, Powers Gold, and Jameson Black Barrel. With bourbon, I liked George Dickel #12, Woodford Reserve, Rebel Yell, after a long hunting was Wild Turkey 101.

Teachers is my everyday, mostly because it has more Islay whiskies in the blend than most, ergo more peaty, smoky flavor. Jameson is my drink on the rare occasions I go to Irish. Can't help you on bourbons or ryes. I always have a bottle of Laphroaig or Lagavulin for special occasions but I can't afford them as an everyday drink, but beware: if you don't like smoky say away!.

I don’t like spending a bunch on liquor. I don’t think you need to. There are LOTS of exquisite and exquisitely priced whiskeys out there. There are also sanely priced bottles that are exceptionally good.

My picks? Less expensive options are listed as the OK choices. Prices can vary wildly depending on where in the USA you buy ‘em. But I wanna be between $25 and maybe $50 for a standard bottle.

To make a delicious whiskey cocktail like a Manhattan, Old Fashioned or Sour…I’ll pick a well priced Rye like Rittenhouse. And use fresh fruit! Why put expensive whiskey into a cocktail with some truly horrible cocktail mix?

Rye: Pikesville or Knob Creek. (Rittenhouse OK too)
Scotch: Monkey Shoulder (blended)
Bourbon: Wild Turkey Rare Breed or Eagle Rare or Buffalo Trace (Wild Turkey 101 OK too)
Irish: Red Breast or Green Spot (Powers & Jameson OK too)
Canadian: no thanks 😉

Blackhorse is right. It partly depends on how much you're willing to spend on whiskey.

It sounds like you like Irish whiskey and bourbons with a little bit of bite. My personal favorite Irish is Redbreast. Second would be Black Bush. And my favorite bourbon is probably Old Forester 1920 or Woodford Double Oaked. Those are all somewhat up-tier bottles. Not super expensive (though that can vary a lot by location), but not bargains, either.

For very tasty and perfectly affordable bourbons, I don't think you can do much better than Elijah Craig. Irishes in this category, you're pretty much there already. Regular Jameson or Bushmills, whichever you prefer. There's one called 2 Gingers that's made here in the States that I enjoy. Writer's Tears and Teeling can be affordable if you're in the right area for them.

I'll leave scotch and rye to others. I know only a few scotches, and no ryes at all. Just haven't gotten around to them, yet.

Teachers is my everyday, mostly because it has more Islay whiskies in the blend than most, ergo more peaty, smoky flavor.
Which Teachers is that? I see a couple different options when I google it. I'm open to trying it, for sure.

Which Teachers is that? I see a couple different options when I google it. I'm open to trying it, for sure.

It’s lovely stuff…like sipping campfire ashes. Mmmmmm. I’ve never tried this but someone should try a really smoky Scotch along side a bowl of Latakia heavy pipeweed…for a full campfire experience. 😁

If it was me, I’d go for a bottle of smoky Ardbeg 10 year. Very, very well regarded Islay single malt. I’ve got a nearly full bottle in my cupboard I save for guests. And, for a decent Scotch it won’t break most banks…found most places right at the $50 price point.

For me, at about $30 I’m in for Monkey Shoulder Scotch…a superb blended malt whisky from William Grant, made with single malts from three famous Speyside distilleries…Glenfiddich, Balvenie, and Kininvie. The result is a smooth, creamy, supple and very malty Scotch which works superbly well neat, over ice, or in whisky cocktails. I’ve seen it compared to sipping “brunch” — sweet melon, honey, a bit of Earl Grey tea, and some orange citrus.

wNtIR3ul.jpg

It's around $34 for the 1.75L around here. I like the heavy smoke and I've found this one to have more of that than most of the moderately-priced blends I've tried. YMMV of course :) !

It's around $34 for the 1.75L around here. I like the heavy smoke and I've found this one to have more of that than most of the moderately-priced blends I've tried. YMMV of course :) !
I've read a couple reviews now, and neither mentioned smokiness. Butter, like ghee, though, which I also like. I'll give it a shot. Thanks for the clarification.

EDIT: but then read this:

Highland Cream was that whisky. At 45% it has one of the highest single malt contents of any blend and uses fully peated Ardmore whisky as it’s fingerprint malt. The combination is incredible depth and smoothness combined with a rich smokey undertones. Truely a masterpiece.

Last edited:
I usually keep on hand are Jack Daniels, Makers Mark, Woodford Reserve, and old charter. George Dickel Rye is the only rye I've tried but I like it. Johnny Walker Black and white horse are my go to for scotch

I kept hearing such great things about Maker's Mark that I bought a bottle for a special occasion. BIG mistake. I can't get past that bread yeast smell. Found out it's a 'wheated' whiskey. Never again!

My current info on Makers Mark is that its price surpasses its Quality. But tastes are often fickle and very subjective. A company with whom we did business once upon a time gave me a special Makers Mark set of the Bourbon, two beautiful cut crystal glasses and a fancy jigger. I was THRILLED and thought it was pretty damn good. The bottles I might have paid for on my own weren’t nearly so delectable. 🥃 😄

I use what I call a small brandy snifter. Not sure that's the correct name but that's okay. In the basement I use a small jelly jar. Got the idea from Mark Harmon's character on NCIS. If I drop the jelly jar there's no great loss except for what's in the jelly jar, not the jar itself.

A long time ago, I was gifted a set of 2 Swedish crystal Old Fashioned glasses. Rounded square with little, soft indentations around the four corners. My fingers rest naturally, and peacefully, in those, almost making it like I can sip with just my thumb and middle finger. The sides are also a perfect distance, so it hits the lips just right. I broke one, but I cannot remember how. I have other whiskey glasses, but when I use them, I always wonder why I grabbed them. The Swedish feel like home, if that makes sense.

I'm a big, big fan of Maker's Mark, but I also have a sweet tooth. Maple syrup, molasses, prunes...those kind of notes. I also prefer my tobacco with those notes, so it makes sense to me.

I go back and forth between a glencairn, a regular rocks glass (even though I never add rocks), and that other one designed specifically for whiskey but I can't remember the name of. The one with the double layer glass and the facets around the bottom for setting it on the table at an angle. I don't think any of them are a bad choice. A glencairn does concentrate the smell, though.

Glasses? I had a couple of Glencairns some time ago. Now, I am using my Norlans. Love them. O broke my last one a few weeks ago. SAD day.