Favourite of your hunting rifles

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My favorite would be the only one I own as far as a smokeless powder rifle, a Homer Koon Custom in 7 MM Remington Magnum topped with a Leupold 3.5x10 Vari X III Scope with Conetrol Mounts.

For Black Powder it's the Mowery Texas Plains Rifle with 66" twist for round balls.

The 12 gauge is for bird hunting and it's a Parker DH from 1903 I no longer own the 20 LC Smith Specialty Grade in the photo.

thelineup.jpg

My other Black Powder is a custom built Thompson Center Encore that I put together and had the stock built for me to my specifications.

6961727222_ae2b13510c_b.jpg

6961727876_b0e5098abb_b.jpg

Winchester pre 60 model 94 30-30 top eject

Marlin 1895 SBL .45/70, Leupold Custom Shop Scout Scope goes on top this weekend with Warne QD rings.    

marlin10.jpg
" />

Sold my Ruger #1 sporters in both 30-06 and 243. Big mistake. Best single shot rifles I ever had.
No longer hunt big game just upland birds, and have an affinity for double guns in smaller gauges.
28 gauge is my favorite, especially when hunting quail and woodcock.
Winchester 101, Ruger Blue Label, L.C. Smith, Browning, in double guns.

I love my Remington 700 .308. My 10 year old has a ruger .270 that's a really sweet shooting rifle. I'm pleased with both hunting deer. As for squirrels my little Marlin .22 is great, and I love it for plinking in the yard too. We've had lots of fun with that. Well until the price went up and the availability went down on .22 shells.

It has been some time since I have hunted, but I have a Marlin 45-70 with a 2.5X post & crosshair scope that has put a lot of venison in the freezer. I have shot a bear and a wild boar with it as well. The one I probably like the most is a Weatherby 375 H&H Magnum. I would take it out deer hunting every now and then, and I can assure you it gets the job done (although it starts to feel a little heavy by the end of the day). I am a fan of Elmer Keith as you might guess from these choices. Back in the day, my Marlin 39 .22 with a peep sight was tough on the squirrel population.

i ahve a remington 700 bdl match grade in .308 has a timney trigger set at 2.5 lbs only thing it has ever taken are woodchucks. were not allowed to use rifles in ohio only shotgun muzzleloaders and bows for hunting.

We love to bow hunt too. But I do enjoy rifle hunting with my 700. My wife will only bow hunt though.

Hers another reason I like my 45/70 marlin 1895.

I did end up putting a scope on her. Dog gone eyes. The open sights were getting too fuzzy.

Fishnbanjo The grain on this TC Encore is amazing.

For myself my deer rifle is a Model 700 CDL in 260 Rem. and for anything bigger my Model 700 w/grey laminated stock in 300 Win Mag.

Thanks Hawker and that is a very lousy photo too, the stock blank was this:

6892249073_f2397d60bc_b.jpg

I also had a 7mm-08 pistol done up with another Encore frame I had CCH'd at the same time, here is the balnk

6857258875_95ed6e8d54_z.jpg

And the finished pistol with the short fore end stock

7048849199_74395b6c0c_c.jpg

Here with the Schnabel fore end stock

7256143096_f7ffc09655_c.jpg

Hawker":dx5a3qr0 said:
Fishnbanjo The grain on this TC Encore is amazing.

For myself my deer rifle is a Model 700 CDL in 260 Rem. and for anything bigger my Model 700 w/grey laminated stock in 300 Win Mag.

I like the ole Remington 30/30. Not a fancy rig, but does get the job done , and very well I might add.

I only pull the trigger once a year....Marlin 336 30/30 lever action. It is compact, sturdy and just perfect for the hunting we do here in Florida. There is elegence in simplicity.

My most travelled is a Weatherby Accumark in .270 Weatherby.
My favorite was a '94 Winchester 32-40 take down that was previously owned by Tom Selleck.
Overall I'm a lever gun fan and collected '92 Winchesters for years.
Good to see other Marlin 45-70 fans here. I had one of the Guide guns from the first year of production. In the future I hope to score either one of the Marlin 45-70 Octagon barreled rifles or one of the older Marlin SRC's done by Doug Turnbull in 38-55.

Marlin Lever Action 30-30 with a scope. awesome gun. Accurate as heck.

Most of my hunting is with a Weatherby Vanguard in 7 mm Rem Mag. I mostly hunt Whitetail, but end up with lots of opportunity on Pigs, Coyotes, Auodad and Turkeys. I 7Mag em all.  

7 mag on a turkey?  :shock: 

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GWKJtedipBU" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mark":hq01kjq9 said:

7 mag on a turkey?  :shock: 
Yes indeed, shot 4 last year. Of course its neck/head shots only if you'd like anything left for dinner :albino: 
Makes a durn good pot pie.