Firefox issue

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I've been getting notifications my Firefox browser needs to be updated. The message looks to be authentic so I clicked on the install button. A smaller window opened up and there was a status bar that indicated it was downloading. This only took a few seconds.

Then there was a window that apparently had the file but no indication of what to do from here. So I closed it and the notification to upgrade went away. So I though it had successfully installed.

A day or so later I got the same update and repeated the process as before with the same results. This time I restarted the computer.

Now it's back again. WTF is going on? Is there some other action I have to take.

Cheers,

RR

Go to the top of the screen. Hit "Help". Hit "About Firefox" when the menu drops down. It will automatically scan itself to see if it is up to date. If you need updating, hit the box. If a box doesn't appear, it will say "Firefox is up to date". I did get an update yesterday.

OK so I did as you said but it didn't give me any indication if it was or wasn't up to date. So I clicked on the update button and it did the same download thing it did twice before. I ended up with a window that looked like it had the file under a read-only heading. So I closed that window.

So does this mean it was successful? I've done the exact same thing twice before and got the update notification again and again? Does this automatically go into service or do I have to do something that deactivates the old browser?

No I don't know much about computers.

Cheers,

RR

Sounds as if you're being notified of the update, but you aren't successfully installing it to become actually updated. It also sounds as if you've altered the default setting for updates. I'm not sure what those options are, but as originally installed, it wouldn't be asking you to download and then install updates. It would be automatically updating or notifying you that an update is ready. If you are indeed being shown a box about a new update, then you should follow those cues to install it. Don't just close them.

I have mine set to tell me when updates become available, and when an update happens, I get a box in the upper right corner asking me to "download update" or "not now". See image below. If I choose "download update", it downloads, and then I have to close Firefox and then re-open it, at which time the new update is applied. I'm not successfully updated until I close Firefox and then open it again.

What are you running for an operating system? Windows? Which Windows version? 7? 8? 10? Or Apple? Also, when you hit "about firefox", which version does it tell you you are running? I'm running Firefox 67.0.2 (64-bit).

This is what the Firefox update box looks like for me:

2018-01-29-15-05-53-35ae10.png

Zeno Marx":f1kpy4wa said:
Sounds as if you're being notified of the update, but you aren't successfully installing it to become actually updated.  It also sounds as if you've altered the default setting for updates.  I'm not sure what those options are, but as originally installed, it wouldn't be asking you to download and then install updates.  It would be automatically updating or notifying you that an update is ready.  If you are indeed being shown a box about a new update, then you should follow those cues to install it.  Don't just close them.

I have mine set to tell me when updates become available, and when an update happens, I get a box in the upper right corner asking me to "download update" or "not now".  See image below.  If I choose "download update", it downloads, and then I have to close Firefox and then re-open it, at which time the new update is applied.  I'm not successfully updated until I close Firefox and then open it again.

What are you running for an operating system?  Windows?  Which Windows version? 7?  8?  10?  Or Apple?  Also, when you hit "about firefox", which version does it tell you you are running?  I'm running Firefox 67.0.2 (64-bit).

This is what the Firefox update box looks like for me:

2018-01-29-15-05-53-35ae10.png
I had a local computer geek set up this computer about a year ago in WA state just before I moved here to AZ. I told him I wanted the latest version of ubuntu and that I wanted both Firefox and Chrome browsers. I've only used the Chrome browser on a few occasions as I'm used to the Firefox features.

For this past year there hasn't been any requests to update my Firefox until a week or so ago. I'm pretty sure this is a legitimate Firefox update message. But I've never installed any programs on this or my last computer as I always had that geek do it and troubleshoot it when i messed something up. I thought about calling him but he's notoriously hard to get on the phone and not good at responding to e-mails. And I don't know or trust anyone here well enough to help me. I could always take it in to the Geek Squad at the local Best Buy if nothing else but it doesn't seem to be at that point yet.

I don't know how to look for what version of Firefox or ubuntu I have. I did once or twice get an update from ubuntu which I had to click on but that hasn't happened for about a year. I have no idea how the geek set up Firefox for updates.

Again, it looks as though the new browser downloaded. But then I get a window with what appears to be the file and no indication of what to do from there.

HTH

Cheers,

RR

Zeno Marx":ewoolnj9 said:
Go to the top of the screen. Hit "Help". Hit "About Firefox" when the menu drops down. It will automatically scan itself to see if it is up to date. If you need updating, hit the box. If a box doesn't appear, it will say "Firefox is up to date". I did get an update yesterday.
Do this again.

Right under the big "Firefox Quantum", or if you have an older version just a big "Firefox", you'll see something like "67.0.2 (64-bit) What's new". That's the Firefox version you're running. In this photo below, they're running "66.0.4 (64-bit) What's new". I pulled this off a google search as an example of the window you will see. You probably won't see the same number. What does yours say?

firefox-66-0-4.png

Then, from that same image above, right below "66.0.4 (64-bit) What's new", you'll see "Firefox is up to date". If yours is up to date, you'll also see "Firefox is up to date". If not, you'll see a little gray box that says something like "apply update". If you see ANY gray box, click it. It will update your Firefox. Then close the box by hitting the red X. Then close Firefox all together by hitting the red X in the upper right corner of your screen. Then re-open/restart Firefox. Then do this again: Go to the top of the screen. Hit "Help". Hit "About Firefox" when the menu drops down. It will automatically scan itself to see if it is up to date. It should say "Firefox is up to date". If it doesn't, tell me what it says.

You shouldn't need to call anyone. We'll get you figured out eventually. After all that is hopefully finished, follow these steps to set Firefox for automatically updating itself so you never have to see any of this again.

IGNORE the title of this link and choose "Automatically install updates (recommended)" rather than what they're showing. They're setting it differently, but it is the same chain of actions up to YOU choosing "Automatically install updates (recommended)".

https://www.top-password.com/blog/stop-firefox-quantum-from-updating-automatically/

Zeno Marx":qv6qcnfv said:
Zeno Marx":qv6qcnfv said:
Go to the top of the screen.  Hit "Help".  Hit "About Firefox" when the menu drops down.  It will automatically scan itself to see if it is up to date.  If you need updating, hit the box.  If a box doesn't appear, it will say "Firefox is up to date".  I did get an update yesterday.
Do this again.

I don't get the same results as you say. IOW I chose "About Firefox" but no menu dropped down. Just a box with info. Nothing about Firefox is up to date.

Right under the big "Firefox Quantum", or if you have an older version just a big "Firefox", you'll see something like "67.0.2 (64-bit) What's new".  That's the Firefox version you're running.  In this photo below, they're running "66.0.4 (64-bit) What's new".  I pulled this off a google search as an example of the window you will see.  You probably won't see the same number.  What does yours say?

Mine says 64.0 (64-bit).

firefox-66-0-4.png

Then, from that same image above, right below "66.0.4 (64-bit) What's new", you'll see "Firefox is up to date".  If yours is up to date, you'll also see "Firefox is up to date".  If not, you'll see a little gray box that says something like "apply update".  If you see ANY gray box, click it.  It will update your Firefox.  Then close the box by hitting the red X.  Then close Firefox all together by hitting the red X in the upper right corner of your screen.  Then re-open/restart Firefox.  Then do this again:  Go to the top of the screen.  Hit "Help".  Hit "About Firefox" when the menu drops down.  It will automatically scan itself to see if it is up to date.  It should say "Firefox is up to date".  If it doesn't, tell me what it says.

There is no little gray box. I clicked on the "what's new" and it led me to the same place I have been several previous times. I'm lost

You shouldn't need to call anyone.  We'll get you figured out eventually.  After all that is hopefully finished, follow these steps to set Firefox for automatically updating itself so you never have to see any of this again.

IGNORE the title of this link and choose "Automatically install updates (recommended)" rather than what they're showing.  They're setting it differently, but it is the same chain of actions up to YOU choosing "Automatically install updates (recommended)".

https://www.top-password.com/blog/stop-firefox-quantum-from-updating-automatically/
I am not being willfully obtuse.

No Cheers,

RR

That's a little bit old of a version, but not too old. I'm not at all familiar with Ubuntu Linux. I did a google search for "ubuntu firefox update". I found this. I have to admit this seems a bit advanced for someone who doesn't know anything about computers, but at the same time, it is entirely doable. There is a section as you scroll down to update Firefox. I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.

https://www.computernetworkingnotes.com/linux-tutorials/how-to-update-firefox-in-ubuntu-linux.html

Zeno Marx":qo33omyp said:
That's a little bit old of a version, but not too old.  I'm not at all familiar with Ubuntu Linux.  I did a google search for "ubuntu firefox update".  I found this.  I have to admit this seems a bit advanced for someone who doesn't know anything about computers, but at the same time, it is entirely doable.  There is a section as you scroll down to update Firefox.  I'm sorry I can't be more helpful.

https://www.computernetworkingnotes.com/linux-tutorials/how-to-update-firefox-in-ubuntu-linux.html
That's way more than I can deal with. I'll have to take it to the Geek Squad. I appreciate your help though.

Cheers,

RR

I am familiar with Ubuntu, and I am on it now.

Ubuntu will provide the updates and ask if you want to install them. Sometimes you have to enter your password, but if you installed Firefox through Ubuntu initially (and it is installed that way by default), you should be good. The Ubuntu updates might be a day or so behind the Firefox alerts - maybe.

I am still on 66.0.3 on LinuxMint.  The system still says it is up to date.  I might manually check it.  But if Mint has not up-dated Firefox in the repositories for some reason, I may not see an update.

Using Synaptic, I am on the latest. Could be Ubuntu has updated their repository. You may need to use a package manager to do the update. The Update Manager on my taskbar usually notifies me, and does the updates when I tell it to.

66.0.4 is supposed to be the "fixed" version. They broke add-on's in a previous version. Could be that they are still trying to correct their screw-up.

The prompt to upgrade now seems to come and go. What I mean is that it appears and then sometimes disappears of its own accord.

This is weird.

No Cheers,

RR

There's a local geek coming out tomorrow to deal with this. He was recommended by one of my band mates.

But now there's a new issue - one of my g-mail folders is gone. I don't even know how to delete one. It was there earlier in the day and I transferred an e-mail into it. Anyone know how to restore a missing folder?

No Cheers,

RR

Brewdude":fuhwxc7f said:
There's a local geek coming out tomorrow to deal with this. He was recommended by one of my band mates.

But now there's a new issue - one of my g-mail folders is gone. I don't even know how to delete one. It was there earlier in the day and I transferred an e-mail into it. Anyone know how to restore a missing folder?

No Cheers,

RR
It's there. You probably accidentally hid it, accidentally changed styles, or deleted it, in which it is sitting in your trash folder. It won't go anywhere by tomorrow.

Looked in the trash folder. And that has also been a mystery for some time, as even when I delete an e-mail it doesn't appear there. It only shows some much older deleted e-mails. This just gets weirder.

No Cheers,

RR

And then poof there it is. It was listed as a sub-folder under another category which appeared after I expanded the folder. No idea why it became hidden. So that's one mystery finally solved.

Cheers,

RR

Hopefully, you don't take this the wrong way, but a lot of the time, it is of your doing. The user's doing. The computer doesn't generally do stuff on its own. I know an older guy who is what I call: A Mad Clicker. He clicks and clicks and clicks away. Fast. Without reading. Without knowledge. And he is often frustrated that things change, get lost, and aren't the way he wants them. I can almost always trace it back to him doing something. With few exceptions, and with a working machine that isn't malfunctioning due to corrupt software, most anything that changes on the computer is the user's doing. How can I say this? Because my computer is more than less an appliance. It's the same every morning.