Fire'n Up the Wood Stove

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justpipes

Reaction score
Fired up the wood stove this morning for the first time this winter! Might just have to cook some dinner on it tonight. :D It's the only time I get to use my cast iron ware now that the Misses has one of them fancy glass top ranges. :x

Not suppose to make it out of the 30's the next 4 days and teens at night. UP to 42 on Wednesday and then another long stint in the 30's. Winter has come to NC.

11:22am and it's only 1 deg F here. Wind chills overnight were in the -20's I think.

A balmy day compared to LL up in ND though. :D

Oh! And I wish I had a woodstove.

Carlos":5tdm3huf said:
11:22am and it's only 1 deg F here. Wind chills overnight were in the -20's I think.

A balmy day compared to LL up in ND though. :D

Oh! And I wish I had a woodstove.
I thought you had a wood stove in your basement Carlos?

I don't envy you or LL but I do enjoy the justification of fire'n up my wood stove here in NC. Actually, the first five or so years that I owned this house it was my primary source of heat. I installed a gas pack about ten years ago, so I don't use the wood stove as much as I use to. Having to cut wood every weekend can get old. :lol:

I have been thinking of putting one down here. I keep looking at the front room and suggesting a Hearthstone soapstone unit. But Cathy isn't much for having one.

Cathy tries to move away from things she had in her childhood, where I try to embrace some of them.

Carlos":lb1130g3 said:
Cathy tries to move away from things she had in her childhood, where I try to embrace some of them.
I grew up with a fire place and a wood stove. The old house that I lived in with my grandparents had a fire place in every room and the wood stove was in the living room. I'm not a bit ashamed of it and wouldn't be without one if I can help it.

I have a clay chimenia on the back deck and a round metal portable fire pit on the front porch. It only gets down to the mid-thirties during the winter at night but two or three times a week I set in front of one of them with a couple of logs burning enjoying a pipe or cigar.

you are lucky, it's 3F here, about -15F with the windchill

Mikem":7pob4t88 said:
I have a clay chimenia on the back deck and a round metal portable fire pit on the front porch. It only gets down to the mid-thirties during the winter at night but two or three times a week I set in front of one of them with a couple of logs burning enjoying a pipe or cigar.
I've been thinking about getting a metal portable fire pit for the same purpose.

Cold here too, at least cold for Arkansas. We designed and helped build our house about 18 years ago, and the whole house was designed around our wood stove. Every room on both floors are laid out so when you open a door, you're looking at the stove. Heats the house very efficiently (but again, it doesn't get that cold for that long down here).

Nothing like the heat of a roaring fire in a stove. But, to be honest, the cutting, splitting, hauling of wood, though a pleasurable exercise at first, has lost it's "romance". :lol:

Unfortunately, I don't smoke in the house so I can't enjoy my pipes in front of the stove. But I have an aluminum chimenia in the tree house and several fire pits in the woods, so I have outdoor fires when it's cold and I want to puff a bit.

Natch

Natch":87fipvpj said:
the whole house was designed around our wood stove. Every room on both floors are laid out so when you open a door, you're looking at the stove. Heats the house very efficiently (but again, it doesn't get that cold for that long down here).

Nothing like the heat of a roaring fire in a stove. But, to be honest, the cutting, splitting, hauling of wood, though a pleasurable exercise at first, has lost it's "romance". :lol:

Natch
My house though a ranch is designed the same way. The Fisher stove that I have heats our house very efficiently also. The heat doesn't run you out of the room the stove is in and is very comfortable through out the house.

I know exactly what you mean about cutting and splitting wood losing it's "romance". The first seven years I owned the house our wood stove was our primary source of heat and then I installed a gas pack. During that seven years my neighbor and I cut and hauled wood almost every weekend several months out of the year.

Justpipes":catsuac3 said:
The Fisher stove that I have heats our house very efficiently also. The heat doesn't run you out of the room the stove is in and is very comfortable through out the house.

I know exactly what you mean about cutting and splitting wood losing it's "romance". The first seven years I owned the house our wood stove was our primary source of heat and then I installed a gas pack. During that seven years my neighbor and I cut and hauled wood almost every weekend several months out of the year.
A few years after moving into our house, we put in a Fisher fireplace insert stove and heated with it for several years exclusively. I can't believe they don't sell them anymore as it heats the whole house very comfortably. Mine has a 27" firebox and only uses convection to distribute the heat though I do have a small squirrel cage blower to give it some help in real cold weather. It sticks out from the fire place about 1.5 feet giving plenty of room to cook or make coffee.

Jim

Ol'Dawg":f6mr1dkp said:
A few years after moving into our house, we put in a Fisher fireplace insert stove and heated with it for several years exclusively. I can't believe they don't sell them anymore as it heats the whole house very comfortably. Mine has a 27" firebox and only uses convection to distribute the heat though I do have a small squirrel cage blower to give it some help in real cold weather. It sticks out from the fire place about 1.5 feet giving plenty of room to cook or make coffee.

Jim
We have the same stove Jim. If I manipulate it right I can get a 30" log in it but I usually cut my wood into about 2 foot sections. I have used a couple of other free standing stoves and by far this Fisher insert is the best. It is amazing how they designed them to use the natural convection as energy to blow the hot air. I especially like being able to cook on it.

With a cooler fall and colder winder (so far) we're burning through wood about twice the rate as the last few years. Living in an old drafty house it seems like it's still constanly cold in the house, especially with the 20 mph sustained winds we've had all weekend (with 30-40 mph gusts). The highs are forecast to be in the 20's all week, if the wind subsides I'll be happy. Burrzzville.

In March last year we had a snow storm that knocked out the power for three days and left us with just a fireplace for heat. I kept that thing roaring just to keep the living room above 60 F. Not long after we bought a Joutl stove on the end-of-season discount and it is way better than a fireplace. It can heat the whole house whether or not the power is on.

Now I just need to get a stove for my shop so that I can go out there to smoke without wearing my long johns.

One of my greatest memories a s kid was coming in after a romp in the snow and being marched in front of the wood stove to take off our winter gear and let it dry in front of the stove. I used to take the little clumps of snow caught in my boot laces and cuffs and toss em on the stove to hear the "ssssssssiizzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" while my dad wasn't looking.

Great memories. Nothing like that toasty wood stove smell. :D

Benton":2klmf4i1 said:
Now I just need to get a stove for my shop so that I can go out there to smoke without wearing my long johns.
Amen! I've got an older small woodstove for that purpose, just need to get all the flue pipes etc to install it.

EJinVA":cnhw2ghg said:
Benton":cnhw2ghg said:
Amen! I've got an older small woodstove for that purpose, just need to get all the flue pipes etc to install it.
I'm looking at a portable propane furnace for the shop. I don't know that I would trust a wood stove in there.