First impressions: H&H Fusilier's Ration

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joequo

Reaction score
Hey folks, just got in 2oz of the new blend by Russ Ouellette called Fusilier's Ration. Many of you have likely heard of this blend by now, but the basic rundown is that it is supposed to be Russ's attempt at recreating the popular but sadly discontinued Bengal Slices. I have never had Bengal Slices before, but this tobacco intrigued me, so I figure I'd give it a try.

Before I start, let me say that 1) I do not have a large tobacco tasting vocabulary, but I'll do my best to describe my experience with this tobacco. 2) I am a Latakia maniac, so people who don't like Latakia that much or who enjoy light, sweet tasting tobaccos should take my opinions with a grain of salt.

Now for the review:

I took the tin and opened it, finding some interesting shapes therein--not quite slices, not quite a plug. I guess it was a plug, but it was in a few thick slices rather than one block. Not that this matters, I just thought it was interesting. The semi-sliced nature of it was actually kind of convenient as I didn't really need to whip out my pocked knife to chop it up--I simply pinched off chucks with my fingers, rubbed it out, and filled up my pipe, an Adrian James sandblasted dublin.

The first thing I noticed aside from the appearance of this tobacco was the aroma. I wasn't sure what to expect, as a couple reviewers of this tobacco seemed to dislike the smell quite a bit. My first thought after poking my nose into the tin and inhaling was "Hmmm...this smells...interesting." That is really the best description I can give because I have no idea what this stuff is topped with, but it's interesting. For those of you who have tried 1792 Flake, you know there is a distinct smell that radiates off that stuff that immediately gives away what it is. While Fusilier's Ration does not smell at all like 1792 Flake, it does have a distinct aroma that I find neither inviting nor offensive, but simply unique. I think the smell may grow on me in time.

My first few puffs of this tobacco were actually pretty similar to my first few sniffs--the tobacco tasted like it smelled...interesting. However, as the bowl progressed, the tobacco began to feed my mouth more and more flavors. Latakia-check, Orientals-check, Virginias-check, interesting mystery topping in the background-check.

The longer I smoked Fusilier's Ration, the more I liked it. I am generally put off by tobaccos with strong toppings, which is why my first reaction to this tobacco was "I'm not sure I like this stuff they put on here." That thought eventually transformed into "Hey, there's quite a bit going on here, and I really like it!"

I haven't had a bowl of tobacco with so much character in a long time. To those of you who are curious and love to try new tobaccos and to those of you who enjoy a nice smokey dose of Latakia with other tobaccos thrown in to spice things up--Fusilier's Ration gets my full endorsement!

Good notes. I'm intrigued.

How much Latakia, would you say? Percentage assumptions aside, any comparative tobacco for "Lat volume?" (...hopefully not "11" aka Ten Russians...although not a de-selling point...) I've never tried Bengal Slices.

I see from your list of favorites that you know Lancer's Slices. How does Fusilier's Ration compare to it?

Thanks for getting your tin and writing up the review!

Added edit: and while were at it, how does it compare to Old Ironsides and Ten Russians, say?

Kyle Weiss":zwsfsca3 said:
Good notes. I'm intrigued.

How much Latakia, would you say? Percentage assumptions aside, any comparative tobacco for "Lat volume?" (...hopefully not "11" aka Ten Russians...although not a de-selling point...) I've never tried Bengal Slices.
PreppyHippy":zwsfsca3 said:
I see from your list of favorites that you know Lancer's Slices. How does Fusilier's Ration compare to it?

Thanks for getting your tin and writing up the review!

Added edit: and while were at it, how does it compare to Old Ironsides and Ten Russians, say?
To answer you guys' questions, this stuff does not really remind me of the Lat packed Captain Earle blends. Of the tobaccos I've tried, the closest match is Lancer's Slices; but even there, the differences are profound. With Lancer's Slices you have quite a bit of smokey Latakia flavor coming through, with brighter Virginia flavors swirling around with it. Fusilier's Ration differs in that the Latakia is less pronounced than Lancer's Slices, but it's definitely there. Also, the flavors from the Orientals come through quite strongly, with the Virginia's floating around in the background behind the Lat. If I had to give percentages, not of the actual tobacco content, but of the presence of flavors, I would break it down as such:

Lancer's Slices: 65% Latakia 35% Virginia
Fusilier's Ration 40% Latakia 40% Orientals 20% Virginias (also I should mention that the topping mingles with all of this and gives a nice aftertaste...kind of addicting I'm finding)

Hope that helps! More questions are welcome, and I'll continue to update my impressions if they change as I smoke more bowls!

Great answer... more H&H to go on the wish list, it seems. Thanks.

8)

I am a Latakia maniac, so people who don't like Latakia that much or who enjoy light, sweet tasting tobaccos should take my opinions with a grain of salt.

I'd like to offer my thanks for the above preface to your comments. It shows you are one that has some perspective, knowing that a blend not being to one's specific tastes doesn't make it 'bad'. I see review upon review (though not necessarily here) that describes this or that blend in close to foul language if the reviewer's tastes don't match the blend's profile...and often after only one bowl! I just have to be amazed that those characters don't seem to realize that they are being quite transparent about their lack of experience and/or understanding of the cosmic truth that what is bliss to one may well be drek to another...and that that is well and good. One thing I won't tolerate is intolerance! Um, well...yeah, I guess I'll let that stand.

Just my rant for the day and voiced appreciation of a solid reviewer. Again, thanks.

Gotta go. The Giants game is just starting.

Blackhorse, thank you for the kind words. I like to give people an idea about my taste because I learned early on (after several disappointing purchases) that reviews are fairly useless without the context of a reviewer's taste.

Also, I'd like to add to my initial impressions that I've smoked almost all of my 2oz. tin of Fusilier's Ration and have grown to absolutely love it. I've got my fingers crossed that it's in stock again soon.

I just ordered a couple of tins for my dad because he said he used to smoke a lot of Bengal Slices, it will be interesting to hear what he thinks of it. I also got him a tin of the new Balkan Sobranie, although maybe Blackpoint would be closer to what he used to smoke.

Nice review and comments on FR. Being a bit of a LatHead, I truly love this stuff. I smoked the last of my several tins of Bengal Slices
years ago not realizing the dang stuff wasn't available anymore (did the same with BS 759!!)!! For me, FR is more of a Balkan due to the Orientals while Lancer's Slices is a true English with lots of smoky Latweed. However, the Lancer's is mild and smooth; I can smoke it all day just like the FR. The old phrase "somewhat alike, but different" comes to mind with these two. I do think that if you enjoy the one, you will also enjoy the other!! :cheers: FTRPLT