First time snuffing

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

somedumbjerk

Reaction score
just tried snuff for the first time. i was at a local tobacconist to grab a 'cob and noticed they had two brands of snuff. one was silver dollar, and they had a bunch of flavors. i grabbed original to check it out. got home and waited for my nose to stop running and went for it.

it has one of those dispenser things on it. i let it fall out on the little pocket behind my thumb. it seemed like a lot. i pinched about half of it off to the side and went for a sniff. not much went anywhere except on my lap :lol:

so i went for the second half. gentle sniff at first, got a little menthol smell going on, but nothing went up. so i sniffed a little harder. and got some in my nose. "alright, this isn't too bad! just a little bit harder of a sniff and i'll be set!"

well, my throat is now mentholated! hah! it wasn't all that bad, probably because it was just a little bit, but it wasn't pleasant. i'll keep trying until i get it! definitely has a nice wake you up nic hit. not enough for issues, just enough for a wake up.

I haven't done any snuff for quite some time. A while back a friend of mine returned from Germany with some Poschl products. An Apricot snuff which was really enjoyable, and a small bottle of this snuff

It's a Poschl bottle and it was filled with some seriously evil snuff. One small little snus and my hands would almost immediately begin sweating. It got to the point where it became a Pavlovian like nicotine reaction with this stuff for me, and I never got over it. Snus, Sweat, Snus Sweat. Needless to say I soon gave up any ambition I had for pursuing snuff products. However I did really enjoy the mellower Poschl Gawith Apricot snuff which I quickly ran out of.

I treat snuff like I treat pipe tobacco and I try them all. You'll run across a couple you really like, but why stop when there could be something even more perfect. Just my train of thought.

kaiser83":8rom463b said:
I treat snuff like I treat pipe tobacco and I try them all. You'll run across a couple you really like, but why stop when there could be something even more perfect. Just my train of thought.
yeah i wish there was more at the local B&Ms. oh well. i'll see what i get from brewdude and go from there. i do have to say that some of your posts are the reason i tried it. so thanks!

Alright, my shipment from Brewdude arrived. Thanks, Brewdude! In it are:
Mendo Mulcher Snuff Bullet (which is really cool. I’m going to buy a few more. Helps for when I want to snuff at work)
Wilson of Sharrow one each cinnamon, spearment plus and menthol plus
Abraxas café 11 and premium fin
De Kralingse chocosnuff Virginia and latakia AO 1860

I’ve tried the café 11 in the bullet. It was really nice. Like coffee candy or something. Lasted a really long time, and was very easy to take. Also just tried the spearmint. It’s a high quality snuff for sure. The mint is nice as it fades away. The nic was a good shot. Not a lot but enough to feel it. the menthol in it is nice, it kind of wakes you up and makes you feel refreshed. I think I’ll try the latakia today and check it out. I like this whole snuff thing. :D

somedumbjerk":4lplvkfy said:
...the menthol in it is nice, it kind of wakes you up and makes you feel refreshed.
Sometimes when I wake up with a stuffy nose I like to take a pinch of menthol right before getting in the shower. Clears the sinuses right out, after blowing some horrible brown snot rockets against the wall. I'm a bachelor; we get to do stuff like that. :D

George Kaplan":r4mv0fo5 said:
somedumbjerk":r4mv0fo5 said:
...the menthol in it is nice, it kind of wakes you up and makes you feel refreshed.
Sometimes when I wake up with a stuffy nose I like to take a pinch of menthol right before getting in the shower. Clears the sinuses right out, after blowing some horrible brown snot rockets against the wall. I'm a bachelor; we get to do stuff like that. :D
In the shower, not on the bathroom wall, right? :suspect:

that menthol plus was crazy! it was like the first time trying to take a shot of whiskey. i might back off of that one for a while and come back to it...

somedumbjerk":ms10sp1m said:
that menthol plus was crazy! it was like the first time trying to take a shot of whiskey. i might back off of that one for a while and come back to it...
This is actually what I was going to suggest...

I think so much of the snuff thing, is what you start out on. I think my first was a "Scotch" snuff made by Wilson's (?) it was horrid! I was not prepared. Not so much the amount of nic, but just the sensation in general. To me, heavy menthol snuffs aren't the best place to start.

Try French Carotte if you can.

I'm sure GK could recommend a few others

just tried the Abraxas Premium Fin. it's very nice. like a fruity, chocolate coffee dessert. not an all day thing i don't think. really nice with a cup of coffee though. i think i'll give the cinnamon a go next. and please, suggest away! i'm hoping to have a nice paycheck here soon and be able to put in a snuff order.

So is Mr. Snuff the only online source for snuff nowadays?

This thread has peaked my interest in trying a couple beginner snuffs. I did enjoy the Gawith Apricot quite a bit. Maybe I just need some weak sauce as a starter. ;)

DrumsAndBeer":wtym98yt said:

This thread has peaked my interest in trying a couple beginner snuffs. I did enjoy the Gawith Apricot quite a bit. Maybe I just need some weak sauce as a starter. ;)
Mac's in Palo Alto has the silver dollar snuffs.

DrumsAndBeer":k2wqeyin said:
There's also snuffstore, and you can order directly from Toque. For anyone who hasn't read Kaiser's "noob" thread below, it's a great place to start. Plenty of suggestions in there.

De Kralingse choco snuff! wow! that is some good stuff. slight burn in a good way and a very rich chocolate taste that i'm loving. it's like dutch cocoa of something. drums&beer, if you're in PA on a weekend or weeknight, hit me up and you can try any of the snuff i have. if you have some little jars or something i can give you a small sampling of what i've got. brewdude was incredibly generous to me.

somedumbjerk":6zcm70x3 said:
De Kralingse choco snuff! wow! that is some good stuff. slight burn in a good way and a very rich chocolate taste that i'm loving. it's like dutch cocoa of something. drums&beer, if you're in PA on a weekend or weeknight, hit me up and you can try any of the snuff i have. if you have some little jars or something i can give you a small sampling of what i've got. brewdude was incredibly generous to me.
Awesome, thanks for the offer. Hopefully I can make it down that way soon. I be happy to reciprocate as
I just placed a snuff order on Mr. Snuff. I have no idea what I just purchased but I stuck with one I tried a log while ago and others that I have heard of. Royal Air Mail was really reasonable too.

Here's what I ordered

F&T French Carotte 25g (Shane's Suggestion)
F&T Morlaix 25g (Kaiser's suggestion)
Poschl Gawith Apricot 10g - This is one I tried a long while ago and enjoyed. Slightly mentholated if I remember right
WOS - Crumbs of Comfort 10g

Hey drums and beer, what did you think of those two f&t snuffs you mentioned above. I'm curious about them and would love to hear your opinion as you're a newer snuff guy and I'm considering becoming one. How strong are they?

Morlaix is awesome
CoC is a darn good snuff too.
I haven't gotten around the the French Carotte yet, but have heard good things. I'll open some when I get home.

juanmedusa":8rbnbtft said:
Hey drums and beer, what did you think of those two f&t snuffs you mentioned above. I'm curious about them and would love to hear your opinion as you're a newer snuff guy and I'm considering becoming one. How strong are they?
They are both great. Be forewarned however Morlaix is very perfumey, to the point of being an acquired taste. I like Morlaix quite a bit, but it's not an every day kind of snuff for me.

French Carotte is also on the perfumey side but the overall flavor profile is less flowery than Morlaix, presenting more of a mid range citrus blossom/spice/honey & wood kind of scent. FC is gentle as is Morlaix. Both will burn if you get them into the back of your throat, but that's the case with most snuffs. Both scents are strong side, but nicotine IMHO is not especially after venturing forth into the Fubars & Vikings, and various toasts of the snuff world.