Folk Rock?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GuitarMyFriend

Reaction score
Anyone interested in such a genre?
Currently, a list of favorite bands/musicians happens to be;

1. Mumford & Sons
2. Of Monsters and Men
3. JJ Heller
4. Crooked Still (Progressive Bluegrass)
5. Nickel Creek (Progressive Bluegrass)
6. Phillip Phillips
7. Old Crow Medicine Show (New-old Bluegrass)

Anyone else interested in such music? Just curious to see who else has a similar taste with bands to share!!!

Zach

Zach,
I have not heard a single one of those bands but thanks for the list because I shall do some searching and listening. I love folk music and classic rock, so it should be fun checking out some new tunes. Thanks.

I like all of those listed Zach

On the progressive bluegrass front I would add The SteelDrivers.

I like to call myself a FolkHead cause folk based music is my true love, and I'm not trying to stir anything up or be that old guy who hates change, actually I love change and especially when it comes to new music and how the Genres morph with other styles to create a new genre but the music you have listed would not be what I consider "Folk". what you have listed there is todays sort of Irish folk rock Genre, except for the old crow and the blue grassers which I have heard called "New Grass"

GMF check out John Prine, Steve Earl, Woody Gutherie, and also his Son Arlo, Donovan Leech,Steve Goodman, Harry Chapin, Joan Biaz, Pete Seger, Joni Mitchell for more of a classic folk,
and for more modern folk rock, Todd Snider, Will Kimborough, Shawn Mullins
John Prine

In the newest version of folk music like those you have listed here are a few others

The Silent Comedy, Driftwood
The Silent Comedy
DriftWood

and in the "new grass" have you listened to the Avett Brothers? also the "Yonder mountain String band"
The Avett Brothers ave a blue grass punk rock folk kinda thing goin on and extrememly entertaining to see live
The Avette Brothers

And if you want to really get into a weird version of rock a billy folk check out Hasil Adkins,
Hasil Adkins
and Hank III if you havent listened to Hank III it will shake your boots loose as far as "Cow Punk" or the "Hell Billy" Genre goes

Peace

For psych/folk in the British tradition, check out Espers.
I believe they are from Philadelphia, but sound like they live on the wild, windy moors... 8)

Not to stir the pot but WE screw ourselves trying to classify music.. either it is or it isn't.. it does or it doesn't..

yeah guys like Hasil Adkins and Link Wray, were doin things with music that most people didn't even know was happening back in the 50's and most don't know still to this day, I believe they were the true inspiration for punk rock
great roots music

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cBuJB218UvU" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" frameborder="0" loading="lazy" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back 30/35 years ago (damn what happened to the time) I went to the chicken fights for the first time.. I didn't give a crap about chicken fightin, I gave a crap about Tabitha Jones.. the daughter of the chicken fightin establishments owner..lol

She invited me to her family barn party the week after that..... I went to every one of those parties way up into my twenties even though we(Tabby and I )never went anywhere.. Every now and then you can find them around here in Meade or Hardin county..

This is an alabam version but it gives you the idea of what I'm talking about. .. Baileys Barn Party

It doesn't get anymore FOLK than that.

Just fell in love with The SteelDrivers, and The Avett Brothers!!!!
Thanks guys!
Zach

Everyone look up "Trampled by Turtles"
Just found them! They're awesome! The banjo player is orgasmic.... (sorry I love banjos)...
Zach

i like Mumford and Sons and stuff like The Killers and Modest Mouse as well as Franz Ferdinand

Dando Shaft's 2nd album (1971)
Fairport Convention - Liege & Lief (1969)
Folque - s/t 1974
Holderlin - Holderlin's Traum (1972)
Garmarna - their first 3 releases from 1993-1996
Bert Jansch, John Renbourn/The Pentangle - Sweet Child (1968)
John Martyn - Solid Air (1978)
Steeleye Span (just start at the beginning)
Witthüser+Westrupp - Trips & Träume (1971)

Anyone into Railroad Earth? A lot of bluegrass, a little early 70s folk, some Neil Young in the guitar playing ("The Hunting Song" is a good example), a little improvisation, lots of energy, and general goodness all around. They have a devoted following, and a good number of tapers making some great recordings. I think they also tape all their shows through the soundboard, so there are some great recordings out there. I've been hesitant to get too into them because its all a bit daunting. If you want to check out an official live release, dig into the "Elko" album.
http://archive.org/browse.php?collection=RailroadEarth&field=year

All this talk of folk music, and not a single mention of The Decemberists. Probably one of the more creative 'folk' groups out there. They remind me of a sort of civil war marching theme.

A great album to check out is "The Decemberists - The King is Dead." Tremendous song writing, excellent lyrical content and a great mixture of upbeat and downtempo songs throughout the entire album.

Northern Neil":qz2pbuxx said:
All this talk of folk music, and not a single mention of The Decemberists. Probably one of the more creative 'folk' groups out there. They remind me of a sort of civil war marching theme.

A great album to check out is "The Decemberists - The King is Dead." Tremendous song writing, excellent lyrical content and a great mixture of upbeat and downtempo songs throughout the entire album.
are they folk rock? I liked the song they used on Mad Men ("The Infanta"), so I listened to the rest of the album on Youtube. It was a long time ago. I don't remember any of it being folk rock. I don't even remember it being folky at all. It was indie rock from what I remember. Maybe they have albums of various styles?