Foul Tobaccos

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick

Reaction score
I finally worked up the courage to try the Safe Harbor flake that I bought a few months ago, and man, it had a foul taste! I wish I would've known about tobaccoreviews.com before I bought the stuff. It also had way too much of a nicotine kick. I could only smoke 1/4 of a bowl, then I had to throw out the rest of the 2 oz tin I bought.

Never tried it, but one time on the road I lit up a sample from Tinderbox that turned out to be their exhumation of Mixture 79. I extinguished it with soapy spit and pipe and all went out the window. (nasty pipe, too)

Never smoked it, but I had to go to Reviews after reading your post here. Yikes! That was a consistent pounding :roll:

Buddy

Someone wrote there of a bad or wrong tin. I know it's a bother, but I would have considered returning it. Craig would have wanted to check.

That said, burleys are a chancy tobacco. I'm 50/50 myself. There must be a wide range of qualities out there. I like both Barbary Coast and good ol' Prince Al, but almost nothing else burley based. It relights like a cigar relights :p

I've received a number of harsh ammoniacal (green) tins over the years from C&D, mostly Pease blends, leading me to unfairly judge them initially. The greenness subsided after a year. I know, I know, they "can be smoked immediately", but that wasn't my experience. I can't help but wonder if that happened here.

Just my 2 oz., ymmv, etc.

I smoke SH all of the time, and it is a lot stronger w/ nicotine than most people are accustomed. That said, there was a QC issue over a year ago w/ the base leaf, but that seems to have been corrected in the later tins. I, too, would have returned the tin if there was the issue of taste or odor. I have found that a day or two of 'breathing' of the open tin does moderate the flavor, much for the better.

To me, Mixture 79 is the most foul substance ever to pollute a pipe. Of course, legend has it that Hef smoked it, and he just married a woman young enough to be his granddaughter.

8)

Mike

When I had first taken up a pipe, I picked up a blend called "1861" from my local tobacconist.

Worst gustatory/olfactory sensation I have ever experienced period.

Can we discuss foul puffers here?!?

The worst tobacco I've ever tried is the venerable old Half and Half. Yea, half wet oak leaves and half ground up bike tires! Every few years I try it again just to make sure my tastes haven't changed (or left me completely) and every time it tastes like a smoldering trash dump. But that's just my taste buds, (or lack thereof).

Natch

I found tobaccoreviews.com while I was researching pipe smoking (that was before I even smoked my first pipe). So, from day one, I focused on tobaccos that were rated 3* or better and I can say that I have never smoked a "foul" tobacco. But I have smoked a number of good quality tobaccos I didn't have a taste for.

Similar to pipe puffer, I have smoked several good quality tobacs that I just didn't have the taste for. Unlike pipe puffer I have had a "foul" tobacco. It was some sort of bulk aro from my local b&m that my wife picked out from the smell in the jar, peaches and cream or apple strudel or some such similarly dessertish named blend. It was so goopy and wet I literally could not get it to light.

Being a persistent bastard and not willing to let a gift from my wife go to waste without putting up a fight, I left it out to dry in the open baggie...FOR A MONTH! Still, too wet to smoke. Made the room smell good though. Undaunted I put out a few bowls worth on a paper towel...after about a week and a couple of nasty soaked paper towel changings later, it was approaching a moisture content which was at least somewhat combustible, if not exactly ideal. I loaded it into a cob and applied some flame...and some more flame...and finally lit the stuff. Smelled good at first, with a tiny bit of that super sweet aro flavor.

After about 3 sips, that was gone completely to be replaced by a flavorless, hot, wet, gurgling, biting bowl of filth. I tried the tobacco two more times before finally giving up on it. I am not entirely sure what became of the unsmoked portion, although I suspect it may have run off on it's own to live in shame and hiding somewhere appropriately foul and unsavory. I have heard rumors of a strange peach smell permeating a certain section of abandoned subway tunnel in Philly.

Maybe I have a lack of taste, but I don't think I have had a quality tobacco that I didn't like. Some I like and come back to more than others, but I like 'em all (except cheap Lane aromatics). Maybe that's because I've begun sheltering myself from tobaccos with low ratings or jars at the B&M, but I enjoy just about everything.

I didn't get much past the lighting of "Distinguished Penguin" :evil:

I tend to avoid blends with comical or "playful" names for some reason, but that's just one of my peculiarities. However, I've never experienced a foul blend, although I'm sure that's just a coincidence. Incidentally, I can't get my self to use guitar pedals with goofy names either, but I'm sure that's a different subject.

Harlock999":8ykv2vgh said:
I tend to avoid blends with comical or "playful" names for some reason, but that's just one of my peculiarities. However, I've never experienced a foul blend, although I'm sure that's just a coincidence. Incidentally, I can't get my self to use guitar pedals with goofy names either, but I'm sure that's a different subject.
Harlock999...If you happen to have an unwanted "Big Muff"...I can help you out.

sand18f":x6gce5v5 said:
Harlock999":x6gce5v5 said:
Harlock999...If you happen to have an unwanted "Big Muff"...I can help you out.
Ha! Actually, I do have an unwanted "Big Muff"! Unfortunately it's not a vintage model, and doesn't sound that great. I'm a big David Gilmour fan, so the Big Muff is kind a must have for the early Floyd sound. However, I do kind of break my rule by using a Big Muff copy called the "Large Beaver". It's a high quality clone of the early "triangle" version of the "muff", and it has no graphics or name printed on the casing, so it doesn't bother me too much, and it sounds great!

:lol!:

The worst tobacco i ever smoked was a house blend at a B&M, Olde Towne Tobacconist in Fredericksburg, VA. I was buying some corn cobs and i got 1 oz free with each pipe. Tried a couple of diffrent house blends one was an english blend, an orential blend and an aromatic. All three were the worst thing that i ever smoked. I could feel the cancer growing when smoking these. I think i got about three puffs out of each blend. The rest i threw right in the dumpster.