Frog Morton's Cellar?

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ordered the Frog Morton today from "smokingpipes" along with a couple of $55, "4.9" rated Peterson estates. I thought the former was just something the rest of you had beaten me to years ago. Glad to learn several of us are at least curious.

DrumsAndBeer":mw7j4uau said:
I know one thing for sure. We're paying at least a $1.27 for a chunk of wood. ;)
But that's where the magic happens! So McC wants us to believe! Worth twice that...? :lol:

Sloppy Joe Hemingway":u7ysf28k said:
DrumsAndBeer":u7ysf28k said:
I know one thing for sure. We're paying at least a $1.27 for a chunk of wood. ;)
But that's where the magic happens! So McC wants us to believe! Worth twice that...? :lol:
We'll see. I am a bit skeptical. I will buy some of both the FM and the VA 35, but I think I am going to wait for the dust to settle a bit.

The JF Germain tobacco for Smoker's Haven is aged in oak barrels, and St. James Perique is delivered to tobacco houses in oak barrels. I am sure there's something to this, I just think it will be a long time coming before anyone can actually declare "Hey, the chunk of wood makes a difference!" :D

DrumsAndBeer":xmuf526p said:
Sloppy Joe Hemingway":xmuf526p said:
DrumsAndBeer":xmuf526p said:
We'll see. I am a bit skeptical. I will buy some of both the FM and the VA 35, but I think I am going to wait for the dust to settle a bit.

The JF Germain tobacco for Smoker's Haven is aged in oak barrels, and St. James Perique is delivered to tobacco houses in oak barrels. I am sure there's something to this, I just think it will be a long time coming before anyone can actually declare "Hey, the chunk of wood makes a difference!" :D
Very true! Buying either of those blends and popping the tin right away to try them would be pointless. If there ever was a couple of blends that should have a warning on the tin "MUST NOT OPEN FOR TWO YEARS... FIVE IS BETTER"...

There's no way a few months in the tin with that chunk of barrel will do much

A tin of this arrived for me today. I popped the tin and, no wood. I was tempted to probe for one, but did not. It smelled great, but did not remind me of whiskey. The first third of the bowl was similar to Frog Mortons original. At just shy of the half way mark, I got a slight hint of whiskey. To my new pallet it was very subtle. I was looking for it and other wise may not have noted it. While I was interrupted, and did not get to finish the bowl, I enjoyed it very much. I do still have a whiskey after taste in my mouth, but again very subtle. I am looking forward to a real review from one of our better suited brothers.

Maybe the wood looked like this?

sawdust%201.jpg

DrumsAndBeer":qyggqmqp said:
I paid the $1.27 for the "35." I'll be cracking it open this weekend. I look forward to it.

Also grabbed some Christmas Cheer (2012) and Valley Woods (2009).

Mozjo33":zj2f72st said:
I paid the $1.27 for the "35." I'll be cracking it open this weekend. I look forward to it.

Also grabbed some Christmas Cheer (2012) and Valley Woods (2009).
We expect nothing short of a full report. :p

Mine's on a truck "Out for Delivery" with a little luck, I may be smoking some of this tonight. Now the question becomes Cellar or Stave Aged...

Dave_In_Philly":wl5793u6 said:
Mine's on a truck "Out for Delivery" with a little luck, I may be smoking some of this tonight. Now the question becomes Cellar or Stave Aged...
I have never tried Frog Morton, so before I try the cellar, I'm going to try the original or On the Town first.

Mozjo- IMO FMOTT is just a toned down version of the original. I can't taste much difference in them other than the FMOTT just tastes weak in comparison. Some guys love it, I personally love the original.

I am stoked, I got a message from the fam today that I have 5 tins of FMCellar that came in today (along with a tin of CC2012 and another random tin). They are sitting 4 tins in with the rest of my toby and mailing one out to me here. Oh boy oh boy, in another month I will be able to try it finally. Score.

kaiser83":nmcc5wsh said:
Mozjo- IMO FMOTT is just a toned down version of the original. I can't taste much difference in them other than the FMOTT just tastes weak in comparison. Some guys love it, I personally love the original.

I am stoked, I got a message from the fam today that I have 5 tins of FMCellar that came in today (along with a tin of CC2012 and another random tin). They are sitting 4 tins in with the rest of my toby and mailing one out to me here. Oh boy oh boy, in another month I will be able to try it finally. Score.
Thanks for the advice K. I almost bought a tin of the original yesterday, but decided to wait to find FMOTT. I kno what I'll be doing over lunch tomorrow - back to El Fumador!!

I received a few tins of FM's Cellar and Stave-Aged 35 a couple days ago. I've had 3 bowls of the SA35 and one of FM's Cellar. Both leave me with the impression that there is no way a little piece of barrel stave imparts that much aroma. I'm inclined to believe that the barrel stave is a gimmick and they're using a hefty topping to support that gimmick. I've smelled bourbon barrels before, and none have smelled as sickly sweet as the piece of stave included in both these tins. They've done a good job with the toppings, but can't convince me that a tiny piece of wood can impart that much flavor to a tin of tobacco in a few months whereas the taste imparted to a bourbon is so much more subtle, with so many more solvents over so many more years. It's a neat gimmick, but it's a gimmick.

I'm a bit of a rookie, so take my comments with a grain of salt. But, in my opinion, both these blends are very nicely blended aromatics, not a mild VA or mild Latakia blend kissed by the gentle aroma of a bourbon barrel stave, as presented in the marketing literature.