From a Mark Tinsky Kit

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackhorse

Trading Post Moderator
Staff member
B of B Supporter
Council Member
Reaction score
I thought this would be an appropriate place to post a shot of the Poker I just completed...made from a kit fabricated by Mark Tinsky. There's an obnoxiously long thread in the pipes section showing its step by step process from start to finish, from block to beauty, if you will. It's mostly of interest due to the 'foolishness of futzing' that describes my so called shop and it's lack of power tools...in favor of hand tools. I will only say here that making a design such as a Poker, with its required very regular straight-sided contours using only Japanese pull saws and Iwasaki hand files and the like, was challenging.

DSCN0658-1.jpg

DSCN0656.jpg

DSCN0664.jpg

Congratulations, that is one beautiful pipe. The stem compliments the grain nicely and you have created a very graceful shape. That must have been one savory smoke on the first bowl.

Very nice, Blackhorse! I'm partial to poker/friendly shapes and that one speaks to me. I like the stem and I especially like the slight upward curve of the shank... Creates a very lively effect. You've tapped into a nice middle ground between poker and cherrywood. There's some pretty nice grain there as well! I'm very impressed that you made this pipe using only hand tools... Not an easy task! I look forward to following the evolution of your next pipe(s) :)

Please let us know how she smokes

Blackhorse":xygzsnxt said:
Maybe I should call it a Cherry Poker?

Then again...maybe not. :roll:
Poker in the front, liquor in the rear..... :p :p

Okay, okay.... :suspect:

Nice job Cheval!! Turns out you didn't need the hydraulic rusticator!!

Shall you continue your pursuits??

MisterE":f9z7wm4m said:
Blackhorse":f9z7wm4m said:
Maybe I should call it a Cherry Poker?

Then again...maybe not. :roll:
Poker in the front, liquor in the rear..... :p :p

Okay, okay.... :suspect:

Nice job Cheval!! Turns out you didn't need the hydraulic rusticator!!

Shall you continue your pursuits??
*facepalm* You guys... :lol:

Blackhorse":qqx2ne63 said:
Hey Kyle...great avatar...Android Holmes?!?
Not sure if you're a Star Trek TNG fan, but yeah, Data had is fascination with Sherlock. :) Androids and pipes do kind of go together. In some universe. Somewhere.

A very "buyable" pipe. I'm sure it's not for sale, but if it was, I'm certain you'd have offers on that one. Very nice job!

...bringing this up from another thread...so are the Tinsky kits supplied with nice stems? The one pictured on the fine work above looks very fitting and classy...even if they aren't "nice" per-se, I'd like them to at least be non-generic. Really looking forward to a few projects this winter.

Blackhorse":63w5qkyy said:
As I've indicated elsewhere, the stems are hand cut to order...at least mine was.
I missed that part, either by skimming or not getting to the right info...got it this time.

really like your briar, i've ordered two pipe kits so far one had great grain and some nasty flaws and the other had no grain.
Well this time i think im gonna go with tinsky and i want a specific stem, on his website check out i just see options for bent and straight and lucite and vulcanite, how did you get a custom stem?

The 'custom' stem was easy...I wanted translucent tortoise...kind of pearlized..and that's what I wrote in the order notes...with specific dimensions on the shank end and length of the narrow tip section. It came exactly as requested...I call that pretty custom.

One thing...Mark encourages you to be very specific, include pictures if possible, etc. of what you want to build. He says to send a seperate email with attached photos, etc. when you order. He even encourages sending him an outline profile drawing of your intended project. He's quite serious about getting it right. Hint...when you send him your intended dimensions include bowl depth & diameter if you know them, overall length & height of pipe, length of shank, all that stuff. On my first pipe with him I spec'd. the dowl dimensions...on the second kit I asked him to decide on them, as I was unsure what would work best. He has just a little more experience than I do. lol

Good luck.

Oh yes, my brother. In keeping eith the typical Tinsky reputation for briar and bore/bowl dynamics...it's a winner. It will likely be saved as a 'special occasion' pipe...you know...birthdays...Christmas...Wednesdays...early afternoons...etc.

Blackhorse":b4w51nb9 said:
Oh yes, my brother. In keeping eith the typical Tinsky reputation for briar and bore/bowl dynamics...it's a winner. It will likely be saved as a 'special occasion' pipe...you know...birthdays...Christmas...Wednesdays...early afternoons...etc.
*laughs* :)

Blackhorse":6ard5oi0 said:
HAHAHAHA :lol!: