Full Virginia Flake

Brothers of Briar

Help Support Brothers of Briar:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aaron

Reaction score
Anyone else having trouble finding FVF... Again? I can't find it at all.

Yeah, the limited supply we get in the US sells out pretty quick. Just have to keep an eye open.

Yo, Aaron, what's up, Brother! Just smoked a bowl of some of that Three Friars you sent me (a while ago!) and was wondering about you. Good to hear from ya...

Regarding FVF, as far as I know, it is very difficult if not impossible to come by at the moment. S. Gawith blends in general are unavailable due to high demand/low to no supply. It's an ongoing problem. I'm not a big FVF fan, but if you run into any 1792, please let me know!

--TB

Will do sir, 1792 you say?

Since FVF is so hard to find what other straight Virginia should I try? I've got my eye on Union Square.

I'm doing pretty well at the moment, thanks for asking.

May want to give opening night a shot too. If you like just a little perique then also Solani 633 is very nice. I have not tried Union Sq. yet, but not another week will go by without me getting some to see.

Skip

Union Square is personally one of my favorites, I highly recommend it if you are searching for yummy straight va's. I also really like Blackwoods Flake, but the two are quite different. You can't go wrong with Union Square, so if you are even considering it, I say go for it. Let us know what you end up with, and your thoughts on said tobac!

Oh I will. When ummm, specific life changes occurred recently I pretty much stopped smoking my pipes and took up cigars and cigarettes. So all the tobacco I had has pretty much gone bad I think, which is a shame. It's time to rebuild I suppose.

As long as it's jarred properly, no way does tobacco go bad unless mold got into it, Aaron. (?)

Union Square, definitely !! :cheers:

:face:

Wasn't jarred properly. I lost a bunch. Some still seem okay, just really dry. I think I still have a tin of Haddo's that is unopened. I never have been one for buying in bulk but I'm looking into it.

Put it in a wire spaghetti strainer & hold it in a tea kettle steam column for 10 seconds or so. Re-jar. Check after 4 - 6 hours and adjust as necessary.

Union Square ordered. I'm pretty excited, it's pipe smoking weather here.

Trout Bum":3wdc3idl said:
Yo, Aaron, what's up, Brother! Just smoked a bowl of some of that Three Friars you sent me (a while ago!) and was wondering about you. Good to hear from ya...

Regarding FVF, as far as I know, it is very difficult if not impossible to come by at the moment. S. Gawith blends in general are unavailable due to high demand/low to no supply. It's an ongoing problem. I'm not a big FVF fan, but if you run into any 1792, please let me know!

--TB
Wish I had seen this sooner I saw some today at the West Coast Pipe show too bad I will not be going back :( but I will keep an eye out for it now.

Yak":ujlw8tx9 said:
Put it in a wire spaghetti strainer & hold it in a tea kettle steam column for 10 seconds or so. Re-jar. Check after 4 - 6 hours and adjust as necessary.

This really works?

On this end it does.

It won't be the same as if it had never dried out, but it will be back to proper moisture level again.

Aaron, there are a lot of ways to resurrect dried out tobacco. I have not tried it myself but I see no reason why the steaming method described would not work. Usually if I have some that is past its prime, I just lay it out on a towel and give it a very light spritz with a spray bottle - easy does it, it takes very little water to hydrate tobacco to the correct moisture.

You can also make a humidifying jar by glueing a piece of florists foam (green stuff from Wallymart) to the inside of a mason jar lid. I use my wife's biscuit cutter to cut a round piece. You can put your dried out tobacco in the jar and moisten the foam - it will hold a lot of water. Then, over a few days (check daily), the tobacco will absorb the water vapor from the foam until it gets back to smoking range. This way works good for small amounts that are hard to spritz with the small amount needed.

Unless it's like petrified rock, it's still salvageable!
The steam method that Yak described is pretty much what I have done with the exception of putting cheese cloth at the bottom of my colander to prevent the tobacco from falling through. Worked for me.........

Never throw away tobacco!!!! :D

DoverPipes":p81bp42z said:
The steam method that Yak described is pretty much what I have done with the exception of putting cheese cloth at the bottom of my colander to prevent the tobacco from falling through. Worked for me.........

Good idea!!!
The reason there is a FVF shotage is because I know for a fact that our own FVF Junkie Muddler ordered an undisclosed amout of the stuff from Rich at 4N. :lol:

DoverPipes":u3iwarlx said:

None has been thrown away. I'm gonna try and save it. :D

So Union Square came in the mail today from 4noggins. Speedy service there let me tell ya. I only got the opportunity to smoke about two thirds of a bowl so the jury is still out but right when I had to put it down to go pick up my son I was starting to hit the sweet spot, I've got high hopes for this one fellas. I think I'm really going to like it. :D

Aaron":65uiimtm said:
So Union Square came in the mail today from 4noggins. Speedy service there let me tell ya. I only got the opportunity to smoke about two thirds of a bowl so the jury is still out but right when I had to put it down to go pick up my son I was starting to hit the sweet spot, I've got high hopes for this one fellas. I think I'm really going to like it. :D
Good luck and enjoy, would like to know what you think of it after a couple of bowls.
It is really good VA.
Keep us posted!